storm window dream

storm window dream

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

storm window dream

 

 

 

the snow screams against my window

the icy stares of yesterday's love

now an accumulation of painful retrospect

solemn circumspect

 

i want to believe in breaks in the clouds

silence the screams

but the panes rattle the seams

of my heart,

and the white cold

burns the faith

to a hushed slush

of memory.

 

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

3/3/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

So many powerful
emotions,

we all can relate
to this in love with
painful memories.




the snow screams against my window
the icy stares of yesterday's love

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you, Benita,
j.
Around the corner or be it through glass, cold can enter the heart without notice, its just a thin membrane but beware the frost bites!

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

such a clever metaphorical reply, my friend.
thank you.
j.
Very powerful words. I believe so many of us can relate to this.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you, Terra...
j.
Warm breath on window makes you hope even more for for that break in the clouds with a prospect of warmth to melt those oh so cold memories. 'the panes rattle the seams of my heart', how good is that, love that description Jacob. Very cold imagery here, with a slight thaw detected.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Chris.
j.
Sounds like solitary, painful reminiscence on a cold winter's day. The wintry weather's metaphoric connection with old and somber memories is very nicely done, especially the play on words about the "panes" rattling the seams of the heart. Also liked the indication that the weather burned the pain to a "hushed slush" of memory. A brief poem that says a lot with its imagery. Well done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you so much for your kind review, John,
j.
Your first line should be bronzed and I wish I wrote it j. Your brilliant, cutting metaphor, white cold imagery, and desperation of the expressive alliteration “painful retrospect..solemn circumspect....silence the screams...rattle the seams”- bring us into the storm of loneliness and longing that you poignantly convey here. The winter of discontent. So much more than Master Class. One to save. Thank you for this Sir Poet.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review, Annette,
j.
Annette Pisano-Higley

5 Years Ago

You are so welcome j.
" want to believe in breaks in the clouds . . . " a very evocative line. It tells the tale of every man, woman and child, even. This whole poem is "chilling"--- not intended to be a pun! It would seem that looking out a window while looking out on a portion of life is a favorite mode for a lot of us poets. Looking beyond the physical world to the less obvious struggle of the soul. Yeah, life sometimes rattles the panes, slips thru the seams and chills us completely. But have you ever noticed that when we get close enough to the glass, trying to understand what's going on . . . we see the fog of our breath . . . it's like a message we tell ourselves . . . "It'll be alright . . . I'm still alive. I'm still in the game. Tomorrow when I look out this window the sky will be clear . . . I will see for a thousand miles."

Another thought provoking piece my Bard friend.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review, Tom...
and yes, we see the fog of our breath...great to .. read more
kentuck14

5 Years Ago

yes sir, it is!
This is a perfect set-up for me at least, because there is something about looking out the window during a snow storm or rain storm that not only makes me emotional, but super reflective. To the point that I can be a bit disappointed if a break in the storm does come, just because I want to wallow in my misery a bit. Some great word use in here and great emotional content and identifiability. Loved it!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for identifying....and for your very kind words, Crowley.
j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
I think every reader of this poem loves the hushed slush...me included!
How finely you described a true fact dear Jacob....
Such memories are infinity in numbers and laying deep in mostly everyone's heart...at least in my heart....
True piece penned :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Tahsin,
j.
'hushed slush', what a fantastic slant rhyme! Especially nice since it's unexpected.

Having now read a grand total of two of your poems, I have to say: you have excellent narrative control, and if you're working to bend the metaphor to the narrative I can't sense it in the writing at all. What a pleasure, to see a poem so short both tell a story and carry a metaphor with it.

Only thing I might say, and this is purely personal: I'm not sure if 'screams' should appear twice in such a short work. If it were me, I might use another word in the first stanza, especially since screams (mouth) and stares (eyes) feels a little bit mixed to me. But that's just my thought! I'm enjoying your poetry quite a lot.



Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

interesting you pointed that out about "screams"---i did want the second screams but had thought abo.. read more
syzygy

5 Years Ago

I figured you'd probably thought it through, but thought I'd point it out just in case. Glad to be o.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 5, 2019
Last Updated on March 5, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..