some correlation years removed from Fitzroy Road...

some correlation years removed from Fitzroy Road...

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

some correlation years removed from Fitzroy Road... 

 

 

Sylvia,

maybe we would have gotten along

splendidly

 

i think your words

could have dated mine

and eventually procreated

poems that would never grow old

 

and maybe the gassy breaths

in your kitchen could have been a meal for two

and the towels under the door

 

would have been meant

to save the writings

we never really wanted anyone to see

kept just between you and me

 

and a god that didn't understand

our "wanting to die"

so that the theme of us

might be remembered....

 

 

erin-cilberto

3/1/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

My question: Would Sylvia Plath be as famous in the literary world if she didn't commit suicide? Sylvia was a very sad person . . . from what I've read, a difficult person in many ways (This dosen't let Ted off the hook).
I could be very wrong in my thoughts here . . . but this seems almost an attempt to save Sylvia after the deed. Or perhaps to project one's self to Fitzroy Road in order to save her before the deed.
Could someone's poetry save Sylvia from such deep despair? Or it could just be an identification with the weary soul of a creative person . . . the line, "to save the writings we never wanted anyone else to see kept just between you and me." The last stanza is interesting as well . . . wanting a God who does understand the human condition of loneliness, that long loneliness that drives us to express it all, and hopefully keep us from putting our head in an oven.

This is a very imaginative poem, Jacob. In fact I think it a courageous poem . . . taking yourself to the very edge of the abyss and looking into it. There's nothing more lonely than holding hands with a ghost . . . especially a famous one. I'm almost tempted to try my hand at seeing Sylvia after nearly 60 years after her death.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


kentuck14

5 Years Ago

I think that thesis would be an interesting read.
My thinking about Sexton . . . she is as re.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

that is a good question, i think so but maybe not..
and yes on that abyss...was there myself... read more
kentuck14

5 Years Ago

Thanks for your thoughts.
T.
A testament to Ms Plath - her fine writings but like all good poets even Jim Morrison misfortune plays its part in their demise, their disappearance but their words and music live on. Its more sad if a great writer stops writing and you want more like the sad news you hear when a favourite band breaks up! You ask why? Why? AS always polished to the core writing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

and she was writing her best stuff at the time of her death...so sad...what we never got to have...... read more
wow beautifully written Jacob. I have just read the reviews and now understand what it is about or should i say who it was about. I am not aware of her or her writing so will go on line to read more.
tragic any suicide. we often wonder if only they hadnt or if only they didnt what would they be now or who would they be or where? Its lifes mystery on this terrible death that they release and succomb to. I liked this poem a lot and at first when I read it before reading the reviews I thought it was going to be a loves lost sort of romantic poem. AT least that would of been one that you had hope for. Suicide is no hope. eh? good write enjoyed it.


Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

i appreciate your words, Julie, and actually really like to hear alternative interpretations like yo.. read more
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

no worries, take care :)
jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

it means the poem can be interpreted universally...which is so important for poets, i believe...
read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
You've captured the essence of someone who wishes things could have been different. We will never know what was going through her mind when she took her life. In her case, the writing wasn't enough. Words weren't enough. This has a haunting effect written with a curiosity akin to candle in the wind.

A five-star poem.

Sun spot.



Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Sun spot...yes, usually poets write themselves away from death...a f.. read more
I presume this must be to or for Sylvia Plath a fine poet indeed and who decided when it was time for her to leave the party... prematurely and true.... whether I am right or miles of target, this is a fantastic post sir and then some.... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Neville,
j.
Such a shame...such a loss. A beautiful woman tormented throughout her life by those inner demons...and not a few outer ones as well. Perhaps though it was those things that made her the poet she was.
I have read Hughes...not 100% sure why he was a Poet Laureate of England.
I can well understand your fascination with her.
Mental illness has never been treated well, but especially not in those days...electric shock...what the...

A beautiful tribute nonetheless and I'm certain your words would have blended quite well.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your insights and kind words, Ted,
j.
wow! incredible poetry sir ... Sylvia Plath of course! the love story in your poem is full ... V2 ...spot on poet's longing for that perfect collaboration ... the kitchen scene is so emotive and vivid says i! i love this poem! V3 L3 is so poignant ... makes that turn sharper than hair-pin .. title is a bit too complicated for me ..but hey..i just woke up ;) i found this bit in the NY Times "Al Alvarez, in his classic study of suicide, “The Savage God,” describes the scene at that Chalcot Square apartment. “[It was so small that everything seemed sideways on.” But there was room for the essential: “A typewriter stood on a little table by the window, and they took turns at it, each working shifts while the other minded the baby.”]" by Roger Cohen ... lots of tributes and poetry referring to Sylvia but for me ..honestly, jacob this is one of the best ... i think its stunning ... thanks for sharing sir!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review, E.
j.
such an impossible coupling, but maybe the procreations are spiritual Jacob ?

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your comment, Stella...
j.
This is a lovely, if sad, tribute to Plath. In it the protagonist is yearning to save her, to share with her even in death it seems.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your words, John,
j.
"I think your words could have dated mine", what a romantic thought, and then " eventually would have procreated poems that would never grow old". No wonder you studied her for your Masters. Your admiration is evident. It is a great pity she didn't find happiness with Ted Hughes, who certainly got his fair share of karma after her death. I do sometimes wonder whether the outcome would have been any different if she had been with any other poet. That's where you took me Jacob.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Time flies. Senile you are not :)
jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

and your comments and our conversation spawned a poem...i am going to post it now...thanks for the i.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Pleased to inspire a poem. I am sure you will do them justice.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 8, 2019
Last Updated on March 8, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..