closing shop

closing shop

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


closing shop

 

 

 

a blue jay sang off key

and i breathed a last breath

the oaks above squandered tears

and the real rain became a dried gulch of apathy

 

squirrels celebrated

unbeknownst to what they were cheering

as acorns dropped from God's sky

at least that was the last sound that reached my ears

 

and then a few blades of grass turned brown

a cold wind choked the last of summer's warmth

the shades of life were drawn

and soon an empty house was covered in white prayer.

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

9/10/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

love tha closing line sir! i am meditating on it right now ahmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! ;) there is a death inside these seasons ...as seasons most likely will continue their cycling .. there is a death wrapped in them as a coffin it seems ... tragic yet not .. at the same time .. brilliant says i! just brilliant!
E.
ps. your off key jay is arresting ..grabs me attention right away ... yeow! ;)

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, E.
j.
if a jay sang off key then something instantly is not right. a last breath indicates the death of something. "oaks above" to me resemble old wise men, i dunno why, but they do, and they squander tears, which means they waste their sadness. but you clarify that there is "real rain." goddamn apathy. that's what this is about.

i love the imagery of "god's sky." i actually had a band back in my teens with a similar name. i like how you end this verse with a sense of hearing. it seems insightful.

then imagery of seasons changing. "a cold wind choked" suggests the inability to say something. the death of whatever is obvious. "drawn" implies a conscious decision, or a conclusion.

white is often the symbol of death. white prayer, therefore is an interesting image. it seems holy. like the amount of loss is a good thing. i really like this.



Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind and detailed review, Mondaine,
j.
In this I saw both the approach of autumn and the approach of the great demise as the years fall away in the winter of out time here on earth.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your words, John,
j.
I like the changing of seasons parallel also. very suitable for this time of year. Everything is brightest before life is snuffed out, but spring will come again.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

oh yes it will...thank you for your words, Anne,
j.
I got a real feeling here of both body and mind closing down to face the harsh realities of winter. Of lack of warmth I would go even further to say it also reminded me of death and a lonely one at that. Although autumn is the most spectacular regarding fruitfulness and colour, it is not good for my emotional state. I feel the onset of decay and sadness. I do suffer from seasonal sadness. Spring and summer find me at my zenith. That's where you took me Jacob with this wonderful free verse.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for taking the journey, Chris....always appreciate your visits immensely,
j.
Wow. This poem has so much to say about death and life fading away. I like the parallel you made to the changing of season to winter. Way to set the mood with the cold. I like :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Tory,
j.

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 11, 2019
Last Updated on September 11, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..