Arrest

Arrest

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Arrest


sentimental incentive
curbed by life
but lips remember brushing against 
a song
an eyelash
a wisp of brown hair curled across a brow

a scent of love
incentive incited
soft skin supposing

a touch
near
ravenous appetite
sentimental incentive supposing
you and i might just

remember
or do lips seal themselves
with our secret

so hearts will not be
reminded
or
remanded
to the custody

of regret.


erin-cilberto
9/12/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If only we could manage the mind to seal those secrets, we wouldn't need to worry about loose lips Jacob, but would then probably worry about dreaming out loud instead.
I now have an earworm of the line "soft skin supposing", which for some unfathomable reason, tastes of vanilla to my thoughts
. Our hearts are always being remanded, where a speedy trial feels like a life without parole situation.


Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your insights, Lorry...and Vanilla is the best flavor.

j.
I could almost feel the touch of lips and experience the build up of desire in this one. A secret affair? Maybe one that never actually happened, but was on the brink of happening. Regrets....as we age, they tend to gang up on us, don't they? Wonderful imagery in this one. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful review, Lydi.
j.
oh my god. my interpretation of this might be wild but bear with me. it's not about incentive, incentive is just the cause to form a relationship. it's about a relationship. but it's also about remembering what the relationship was about. lips seal and thus forget how it started. i think this implies that the good things about relationships need to be spoken over and over, because they can be taken for granted. your lines "remanded/ to the custody/ of regret" killed me. we can feel regret about our relationships. i do all the time. i wish i could've done some things better. it's a goddamn feeling of arrest.

brother, great write and share. this one got me good. mucho praise.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i really like where this took you, an apt description...and yes, that feeling of arrest...
th.. read more
There's always that one you never forget and there's always that one that gets away!

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you, andrew, appreciate your visit,
j.
My concepts of love come mostly from the movie theaters in which I was, practically, brought up.
These notions are ultra-romanticized and decidedly unrealistic.
"Arrest" is perceptive, throughout; closing with a clever and powerful metaphor.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your understanding, Jimmy...i, too, grew up in those same movie theaters...with ultra,.. read more
Reminds me of my first very serious girlfriend
Crazily, her memory still lingers after sixty years

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

and for me after 50 years...:)
thank you for relating to this, Dave,
j.
So much can be said about this one.
Leaves the bitter sweet feeling of love that was not meant to be or perhaps ought not be. we can't pick and choose who and what we respond to...

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

that is certainly the truth, thank you, Edie,
j.
better to go with it and then regret it, than not to go though it and then You will keep thinking about it and what would have been if You went through it. (lots of its lol) in Your ending I get two scenarios in my head, one of them that You don't want to rekindle that past so later You will regret it, the other one is taking the chance to do so, even secretly so no one will get hurt. tenderly and sentimentally written my friend.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Light...I like both ideas for the ending.
j.
Our memories retain the good parts of a relationship as well as the failed parts. Of course those delightful bits the heady feelings, will return randomly for us to wonder what went wrong. We may not speak about it, but we feel it and I'm sure the other party has similar reflections and feelings. You can't wipe the past out altogether no matter how hard you try.

Chris


Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your insights, Chris...
j.
That first stanza captures those small but significant moments of close intimacy we enjoy but often take for granted. Once more this clever, descriptive poem uses each and every word to convey sentiment and tell the story. Happy day from Croatia Jacob.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your words, John, and happy day to you from Carbondale.
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 13, 2019
Last Updated on September 13, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..