a turning

a turning

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


a turning

 

 

 

i was raindrops in fall

cold orbs pelting the skin of existence

 

i was leaves unattached

blushing in an October breeze

floating

disembarking from you

 

floating

i was raindrops in fall

i was leaves unattached

 

i was me again

just before the acceptance

of where i was to lie

 

eventually covered in a gentle white

blanket, curling crisply

into a fossilized heart

 

leaving an imprint

of the significance

you had at once

stolen away...

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

9/21/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

After a breakup, I think every person questions their own significance in the world. If that one person does not care, will anyone care again? You touch on all the senses with the imagery in this one. Liked it a lot. LydI**

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Lydi.
j.
A cycle for love. From loneliness ; cold, lonely orbs finding life and love, to togetherness; growing together a tree of stability until once again separation; you detach yourself and float away, happy momentarily to be yourself again until reality hits and you realise where you will be landing ; then finally heartbreak; alone with a dried up, crumbled heart.

Very clever and beautiful imagery. The journey from the tree to the ground was painfully slow, I'm sure the leaf thought a thousand times about turning around and going back.

Laura.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

wouldn't that be interesting...seeing a leaf float back up to the tree branch?
but just like .. read more
Laura Kate

4 Years Ago

Wouldn't it just!!
My pleasure :)
Laura
that ephemeral fog called love, loved the imagery, cold orbs pelting the skin of existence , now that's what I call rain, great poem,

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, gram,
j.
I see autumn and the cold here as a paralysis of the heart , a broken heart after being dropped!

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful words, andrew.
j.
Although fall gives such spectacular colour, for me it is a season of decay. It is a season of loss and I feel that significantly when the magnificent silver birch outside my window starts shedding her leaves. I mourn the loss. Your poem, when you say that you were the leaves unattached, I felt you drifting away from whom you had been so attached to in love. The snow falling on the leaf and leaving an imprint is beautiful imagery. Snow melts as does the coldness in your heart. All loss softens in time. What she had stolen she will not be able to retain. Your poem connects on an emotional level and is truly touching.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind words, Chris...
i appreciate you.
j.
This one is an appropriate offering for the incoming fall season. The poet uses autumnal images as symbols for a love that fell away like October leaves. The poem then fast forwards to late autumn, where the speaker is like a leaf covered in a blanket of snow, there "curling crisply/ into a fossilized heart," leaving only an imprint of the lost love. Fall is indeed a time of changes, indeed of sometimes painful beauty.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful and very kind review, John,
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2019
Last Updated on September 23, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing