Wax Poems

Wax Poems

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Wax Poems



in the old cabin
a candle burned softly
no mortal inhabitants
burrowed through these woods
since the century's turn

and yet,
seeming life
through a softly glowing window
appeared to be deep in thought
shadows on the wall like hieroglyphics

posing no threat to those 
who stop to wonder
but flaming egos
will perish at the causeway

no matter the century
of the poet.



erin-cilberto
10/11/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I saw Robert Frost. His candle still burns and he still melts hearts with his poetry, long after his death. Although I saw Frost, it could have been any of the old poets who have left us a legacy for years to come. I liked this poem very much and where it took me.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Chris,
j.
They always say the past holds the answers. A simple verse written a hundred years ago automatically transports you back to that time. The cabin, maybe a woodsman, maybe the wood just spread hiding the cabin deeper within. But At that moment in time a picture is forming and the past is back in present.
Probably why we love black and white photos.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

A bit like vinyl records, making a come back in a big way.
jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

vinyl may have gotten scratched and worn....but a much fuller sound any day over CD's...for sure.
Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Yeah, CDs promised much and delivered nowt.
I see a very old lonely cabin that was once happy and full of life and rhyme. The candle was left behind at the last one's death, lit and welcoming strangers with a cast warning to come humble and be loving to 'our old home'. The energy of their love and voice still live in the wooden walls like the lasting words of a well-known poet.
Beautiful J.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind and insightful review Rhayne.
j.
read some of the other comments after reading then read again ... this is a rather challenging hieroglyph itself to me ... old cabin .. no one even been in the woods surrounding for many years .. yet a glowing window .. a bit of light for the dark spaces perhaps .. casting those shadows .. our egos will get in the way of many finer things for sure ..and can not pass the threshold of honest inspiration and integrity .. we haven't changed at all over the millenniums ..our struggles, hurts and victories and loves ... all there .. all with a twist and shadow cast .. hmmmmmmmmmmmm making me think this morning sir .. thanks for sharing your poetry :)
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

yes, unfortunately those egos do get in the way...thank you for your insightful words, E.
j.
Its funny although the picture depicts the residents long gone how you paint this picture with words leaves past thoughts everywhere like litter. nice one J.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your words, andrew,
j.
Well Jacob, I cannot stop thinking of the hieroglyphs dancing on the walls and the feeling that in a far off future, someone will stumble apon this cabin, which in my mind is a book ship and find a dusty old book, which is the writers words, stripped to the bare bones of the personalisation our own existence gives them, as the reader discovers we were once real. (this may be due to me watching the mummy recently and dreaming of hieroglyphs... as well as the lovely Rachel Weisz)
We live our words, but they will outlive us, as we are freed of ego from this mortal coil and become truly anon.
I love how the no mortal inhabitants line completely sets the scene. Three simple words, rearranged with such style.
Seriously impressive words, as always.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review...and yes, Rachel Weisz....love her....favorite film of hers was with.. read more
Lorry

4 Years Ago

Perhaps future hipsters will revive us briefly, before getting distracted by their own reflection �.. read more
Perhaps we are speaking of the transience of our endeavors and how so much of what we do is left to be interpreted by others. Poetry in particular is subject to interpret due to its impressionistic nature.

I love the idea of empty space that seems filled with the spirit of things. The poet remains hidden, but his/her words/actions are painting hieroglyphs on the walls and making a way out into the darkness of that empty wood. And the poet has no control then over what they become.

And that can translate so differently according to the receiver. I like the two potential receivers here. The two extremes- because I think this is often how we think of our work being received- either with wonder or negativity. I like the idea that the negativity will die out of its own weight.

A challenging poem here, Jacob, but evocative and thoughtful. A bit like Plato’s cave. Something I’ll be thinking on for awhile.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i agree with you...i don't think we have any power at all over what our poems become...at least i do.. read more
J., what I take away is a poet seeing his reflection, or maybe a mirage in an old poets "cabin" window, admiring, fondly reminiscing from the road. Still, he knows others will see something different, maybe just a has-been writer, a worthless antique in history's dust. Perhaps that old poet's word lies covered in wax, or perhaps a ghost inspires thought and fresh poetry from the warm glow of history's light.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

love this interpretation....thank you for your words, R.E.
j.
Now this is one to ponder Jacob. I can see it two ways. Firstly homage to a dead poet as their light still burns and others still read them but cannot emulate them and secondly a living poet who has ideas burning inside. Whatever as always the poem is a splendid allegorical masterpiece of words and phrases.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i like both directions, John....work for me...thank you for your kind review,
j.
quite intriguing, if allowing for my interpretation :)

"the old cabin" is like the "old way" of thinking and living. "a candle burned softly" correlates to the title, basically: creativity that's burning away and forgotten. no mortal inhabitants reminds me of ghosts, so all together the setting is reminiscing about a past.

a window is something we look through, similar to glasses, it's a lens. and if deep in, shadows or the narrator, then it's about nostalgia. again, a repetition of the past.

the last quatrain is harder for me to decipher. it seems to imply a protection of the old cabin, as in appreciation of it. which, if so, is endearing, and so those who stop to wonder are welcomed.

as always, thank you for sharing your mind. it is appreciated! "no matter the century/ of the poet"

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i really like how interpreted these words, Mondaine...i appreciate your time and thoughts,
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 12, 2019
Last Updated on October 12, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..