a splash of reconstruction

a splash of reconstruction

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

a splash of reconstruction

 

 

you tried to recreate me

in your own vested image

 

i ended up a monster

of parts

 

minus a heart

do you like the visage?

 

you must be genius

and love yourself

 

because the product of your madness

is no longer the me you first met

 

i am some hideous

subterfuge of what

 

you are afraid to see

i'm sorry if i hurt you

 

but then, the creature in Frankenstein

was sorry he threw the little girl in the lake

 

i think she is with me now

can you see us crying

 

for what we once were

before you?

 

 

erin-cilberto

11/22/2020

© 2020 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Intensity here is off the charts.
It's also nice to see "the creature in Frankenstein" instead of "Frankenstein," as they are often confused.

The manual of monster making: withold love, isolate, reject, lie to, look down on. The Creature is the true victim, not his maker.

This poem - and all your other poems - are great, because they marry form and content in an effective, intelligent way, which is actually a rarity.

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

Yes, they are often confused but who can forget Colin Clive (Dr. Frankenstein) shouting "It's alive,.. read more
Wow! I like the way this poem can be interpreted in a couple different ways... I was reading it from the perspective of a friendship that went sour, but then read an earlier review stating the perspective of child/parent relationship. I really like the last few lines, the way the narrator first seems apologetic for hurting the other person, but finishes (as well as throughout the poem) with pointing out who he/she really felt was to blame. Good job!

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

thank you very much for your insightful review, Connie,
j.
Yes we either try to create kids in our own image only to fail coz they are individuals or in relationships we try to be that missing piece of the puzzle and on top of that we change with time. I like the Frankenstein images, depicts how alien we are!

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

Thank you for your words, andrew....."it's alive, it's alive"
We waste so much time trying to change others when we should be changing ourselves. Of course it is easier to see flaws in others than to admit our own. Maybe it takes age and a few failed relationships to come to that understanding.
"Better to remain silent and appear to be stupid ... than to open our mouths and remove all doubt"

Good one j. Hope all is well.

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

I don't have to try to appear stupid, it is natural for me.
thank you, Ted...I agree...we nee.. read more
Ted Kniffen

3 Years Ago

You and me both brother.
wow Jacob, just like in the book, you were given the wrong brains...

why is it when we love someone we want to "fit" them into what we want then to be rather than accepting them and sharing the differences of the way you both are??? love isn't possession, its voluntarily associating and listening to what the other is saying and learning from them... disagreements can be solved not through power, but in what is the truth and right for all, not who wins... they say it's about sacrifice, but is this true?? isn't it more about seeing the common good.... opinion is just that opinion and does not determine truth and opinion changes all the time as we confront reality, is it "sacrifice" to change opinion?? it is ugly what we sometimes do to other people in the name of "love" and we should stop doing it now....

kind of went off there a bit Jacob, but I often do when I read and think about the poems you write... it's a good thing I think, or at least it's cause I really love what and how your write... when the brain is engaged, all things become possible...

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

I am really grateful for this in-depth response, Curt.
thank you for your deep understanding .. read more
The seasons are about the only thing I've seen change with any amount of success
Although that winter one could stand a bit of improvement
Just saying

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

I agree, Dave...could definitely use some improvement.
thank you,
j.
So sad and filled with longing for what was, what might have been, what can never be. We know that the only true change can come from within, no matter what others may desire or wish...and if it comes, may it be too late? In a different direction or down another road? So often I've heard myself say that regret and sympathy are useless things...but it isn't always so. Sometimes those things may shape and fashion our hearts in ways that even we cannot understand. And if we gain insight or wisdom or strength to move on or the inspiration to help or the fear of causing harm, either to ourselves or others...it may prove those things were not so useless after all. A strong and introspective write here, at least, from the point of view offered. I always enjoy your words. F.

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

Thank you for your very kind review, Fabian,
j.
Whoa, powerful poem. I like this one a lot. A story about a monster made by someone is a good story . It's one of the only monsters that are real, with exception of course. Tyfs

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

Thank you for your words, Cyprian,
j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
I think most folk try to change little things in their partner, my long suffering wife had a right job on her hands when we first met. 29 years later I think her work is near complete.
Hi Jacob, hope you are well

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Gee,
j.
I walked out of a relationship once after six months. He had been a work colleague and friend. I came to the conclusion that he didn't really like the real me. Why don't you wear jeans, what about having your hair cut, I think blue suits you better than purple. After a constant drip feed it started to feel like torture. He wasn't mad but he certainly had fixed ideas about what he liked and didn't. I came to the conclusion he didn't like me:) Haven't thought about him for years J. but these lines brought him right back. A lucky escape.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

So glad you escaped, Chris.
thank you for sharing how you relate to this piece,
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 28, 2020
Last Updated on November 28, 2020

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..