Maze

Maze

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Maze

 

 

and the students all bowed their heads

and prayed for intellectual stimulation

not boring fermentation

or electrocution of mind

 

bodies writhe at desks

in false buoyancy

of the efficacy

of the intricacy

 

of so many words spewed

in lewd disappreciation

and awkward enunciation

of the dictation

 

notes

are never "aye" votes

for devoted students

to amass

from the crass

individuality 

of unbecoming behavior 

When the Savior

is a teacher

lost

 

in his own mind.

 

 

erin-cilberto

10/28/21

© 2021 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your write made me see this....
I used to hate see teachers just pass all the athletes for no work that they did, just so they can play a game the next day, while others like me studied all day and night to pass and only coming up with a "C" I am not saying all teachers are like this, but I had to deal with 2 teachers that did this. He let them slide oh but not some. My English teacher was my favorite teacher, because she made the jocks redo their work, or called them to the blackboard to solve a problem and they couldn't do it. Probably wrong of me, but i used to laugh at them, Maybe they seen "how hard it was to pass a grade then to pass a ball"

Amazing write

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Can't slam dunk a grade...Yes, so many college athletes think pros but only a very small handful g.. read more
Not to bash your profession, but I went on to attend college (for fun) for 15 years (love learning) & never considered the teacher as being part of my equation. I only remember 2 teachers . . . history & geology. All the rest was an abstract experience (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Oh I am probably an abstract as well.
j.
When the student is ready the teacher appears. It occurs to me now that the sage meant in the same person.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful comment, Pryde,
j.
Very subtle and interesting exploration of the Teacher / Student interactions. I like the way this Piece slowly shifts down thru the gears to the telling conclusion. A keeper definitely and deserves wide readership.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review, red93...
j.
I had the best English teacher in my freshman year of high school. His name was Jim Cook and he was once a draft pick for the St. Louis Cardinals as a pitcher. But he injured his arm his first year out and it took him out of the game forever. We all kept a notebook of his lectures referred to as The Cook Book. I learned more about English in his class than all my other years combined in grade school. He was a brilliant man and a great teacher. Sometimes if the class did particularly well on an exam we wouldn't have class at all but would watch films on baseball or film noir instead. We watched Young Frankenstein in his class. I thought that was the coolest. The object lesson there was double entendre. I had a great biology teacher too who was a golden gloves boxer but had lost an eye. He could scan the room but the one glass eye stayed still. His name was Dale Hodge. I saw him put a football jock in his place one day in no mild way. But he was always calm, cool and soft spoken. He rode his Harley to school every day. They just don't have great teachers like those anymore.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I had a couple of those teachers, too. My fifth and sixth grade teacher was Sister Aurelia and I lea.. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

The football jock was mad because he wasn't getting a good grade and was going to be cut from the te.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I wish I could have been there to see that...hate bullies, especially jocks who think they are tough.. read more
Unless I miss my guess, this is a memoir of parochial school.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

that could fit...thank you, John,
j.
I quit school in grade ten because I hated it.
I wish I had been more stimulated because it has left me unsure of myself in the field of writing (which I enjoy in spite of the results) and is one of the major reasons I do such a limited number of reviews, always being afraid of sticking my foot in my mouth, especially after cleaning up the pig pen!

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Never be afraid, Dave...whatever you see in poetry, that belongs to you, not the poet.
j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Looking back on my school years I never had one teacher that inspired me to be better, to reach for the stars if you like. They all seemed to regard having grief free lessons and quiet classrooms as the way to go, their chosen vocation nothing more than a way to pay the bills.
Good morning Jacob


Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

There are many teachers like that, unfortunately...and if teaching is merely punching a time clock, .. read more
dear J... we had an older History Teacher in High School. He had His notes memorized
and would slide down the Aisle while reciting the Events. One day He fell... but seemed to
Recover. Now they do not "teach" History as we learned it in great "truthful" detail. What a loss of Adventure in our present Times. Our English Literature Teacher was also very dramatic, and we loved her.
We also had a "Drama" Teacher if you wanted to learn the Art of Acting. So we became Poets. truly, Pat

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Those are damn good influences, those teachers.
and you certainly became a Poet, my friend.read more
What I would give to be a fly on the wall in the hall room you teach. I have such admiration for those in the teaching profession. It does not get enough respect and appreciation it deserves. To command the attention of a room filled with people is a daunting task. Let alone educating them through the course of an hour or more per session. To know that within that moment you are shaping impressionable minds seeking knowledge and wisdom as well that will be of benefit and value in their lives. Reading the art you create makes me envious of those students lucky enough to be able to sit and learn from one who truly knows the craft of writing itself. I may not be a student in one of the courses you teach my friend but reading your work is teaching me the value of poetry none the less. Come to think of it I don't need to be that fly after all. Thank you J for being a prolific writer and contributer to this community, as well a just a real good human being and educator to those young minds of the future.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

thank you for this very kind review, Carlos...
teaching is quite fun...
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 30, 2021
Last Updated on October 30, 2021

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw