a means away from meaning

a means away from meaning

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

a means away from meaning



integrity
remains elusive
shoddy poet 
writes back door
lines that lurk 
with unsure consonants

respect
is a poet's Holy Grail
words
his journey

in the end
his assonance breeds self-contempt
he smiles unevenly as he is 

selling out 
for a name.


erin-cilberto
1/8/21

© 2022 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If you write for fame, then you will be hugely disappointed. Most writers I know write because they feel compelled to write. They know nothing else. You can't make a poet. You are born a poet in my opinion. That's where I drifted here dear J. You are a born poet.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

and it seems we cannot get away from being a poet even if we wanted to.
thank you, Chris,
read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
NFA
Reminds me of my own poem "Mirrors". You can't fake poetry. It's very easy to see it when it happens. You can't do poetry right, but you can do poetry wrong. Loved this piece.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your words, Victor.
j.
"Vanity, vanity, all is vanity, --- and chasing after the wind." God, I wish I had written that. --- This poem reminds me of a story that I was told about a person who wrote using two different names in publication: a true name for things the writer thought were wonderful, and a name picked for things that the writer wrote that were not worthy. Yes, wouldn't you know? After the writer's death, only writings that were published under the adopted name were remembered.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I have found most pieces that were liked more by readers were the ones I almost threw away.
I.. read more
JE Falcon

2 Years Ago

Could it be that fate has more to do with history than we think? Just wondering.
Some poets just write nonsense for fame and fortune. A true poet is a thinker first and then a writer. It's not about legacies, it's about what you feel and learn, because poetry is an art.
Nicely done J.
Best,
Bet

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Betty.
I am afraid the older I get, the more nonsense I will write.
j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ada
When we write we are conscious about what type of legacy we leave behind...one with substantial writing or one just created to garner likes and your poem was a nice reminder.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your words, Ada,
j.
Hi there from beautiful - inspiring Spain..
What I really loved about this poem is that it tells the truth.
The wonderful - intense review from Carlos says it all...
Lisa

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Lisa. And as Elton John sang..."They say Spain is pretty, though I've.. read more
Lisasview

2 Years Ago

And, boy is he right!
This resonated with me because much of it is true. We live in an age where many seek and expect instant celebrity in whatever they do. That their value and worth are defined by clicks and likes from the world. Many lose sight of plying their craft and learning its art. They devalue education for to them it is a nuisance to being rich and famous with celebrity. I have always held firm in the belief that art is subjective. But intention matters in its creation. Anyone can string words together, but art demands reasoning of the intent. What is the deeper meaning behind it. Does it hold a valuable lesson which resonates? Or is it just made for the likes? That is where the character and integrity of the artist comes into play. Many of us have a favorite artist whose biography we are aware of. We know the history of their education and experiences that hold a relevance to the art they created. That is lacking in today's generation because they are born at a time of technology and its grasp and permanence within society. At their fingertips they can write a note to the world and to them that creates a sense of instant celebrity without much effort. I feel it dilutes their art because they never work to achieve their voice and educate themselves to their craft. It's a difference between Leonardo da Vinci and a YouTube artist. One can't cut corners in making sublime art, because the true artist will easily spot the deception. I guess this is just my round about way of being an advocate for the importance of education.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I appreciate this review very much, Carlos.
One thing, although it was a cult flick, in Eddie.. read more
Poetry id sacred to a poet and those that right for recognition or fame disrespect the poet's holy grail,

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Yes, we are about process, are we not?
thanks, Dale,
j.
Respect is a poet's holy Grail...
How very true. But in seeking it do they shirk their responsibility to the the craft? In writing I have three main responsibilities: God, Craft, and finally audience. Many forget this in a quest for game. Wise words, Sir.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I think we might be a somewhat selfish lot. We write for ourselves because we have to write. But the.. read more
shoddy poet
writes back door

Love this part a lot, what a wonderful intriguing write

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Thank you, writergurl,
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2022
Last Updated on January 8, 2022

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..