Wide Awake

Wide Awake

A Poem by Erin Thomas

If I close my eyes because I am tired or I am wide awake, I know what will appear.

The last memory in my head will illuminate the inside of my eyelids with

Butterflies bursting out of a crammed, dark box, fluttering and shaking with the excitement of seeing the sun and soaking up the fresh heat of the first hot day of May.

I will be the one to admit that my daydreams sometimes remind me of my memories of you and sometimes I don’t want to close my eyes, tired or not, because what I see in front of me is better than anything my mind could dream of.

My only question is: do you see the same?

Is the technicolor masterpiece against the green lake scenery of birds and everything that goes along with perfection just a dream?

Perhaps, these butterflies have painted a bigger picture, one with sparkles and props and ridiculously tacky sequins that dot the spacious skies with hope and the giddiness of candy shop.

What if, by utter chance, you have had the same dream too?

Has your mind dwelled in this house with artwork on the walls of inexplicable genius and absolute beauty. Do the windows open up to a day of emerald grass and cherry trees that sing under the pressure of fresh winds? Do the butterflies burst out too? Are there wings fluttering and flapping spastically with creating currents of energy throughout the crisp spring air?

Does this make you want to open your eyes too?  

© 2013 Erin Thomas


Author's Note

Erin Thomas
let me know what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a nice refreshing read on nature and not letting it pass by. I picture a garden full of butterflies.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
1 Review
Added on May 22, 2013
Last Updated on May 29, 2013

Author

Erin Thomas
Erin Thomas

About
I'm a student. Contact me if you want to know more. I write for myself (and for my classes when needed). However, I am always looking for ways to improve! more..

Writing