The Dying of Jebediah O'Higgins

The Dying of Jebediah O'Higgins

A Story by Erudite
"

A rather short and humorous story

"
Jebediah O'higgins grabbed at his chest in the middle of a fully booked restaurant, and his wife let out a gasp across the table, for she knew his heart must have been sputtering.

Then Jebediah fell to the floor, his face scrunched in pain. His wife screamed, "His heart's given up on him! Somebody get a doctor!"

Nearby, a fine-suited man aggressively threw his silverware down with force sufficient enough to shatter his plate. He then ran over to Jebediah's table, where he lay grunting in pain.

"Excuse me, Ma'am, I'm a f****n' doctor. Lemme help!"

Jebediah sat up "No! Don't you dare!"

"Wh-why not? I'm a doctor! I can save your life!" The doc replied.

"Because, damnit! Haven't you heard that song?" The dying man scavenged his last breath and burst into singing:

~~"If I claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that i don't know"~~

"But, sir, I'm a cardiologist."

"Of course you are! But I'd never trust a damned doctor with a matter as serious as my life and health!"

And, with those being his last words, the pain of Mr. O'higgins' heart did take him away. No longer would he sit through mediocre date night meals with his aging wife.

"No! Don't leave me Jeb!" Cried his wife.

"Ma'am, your husband was somewhat of an imbecile, wasn't he?" Asked the doctor.

"Oh, yes he was, beyond any doubt. He was a man of the dullest capacities. A thick witted twit, cross-eyed and vulgar in demeanor."

"Yeah... Okay well I'm gonna get back to my spaghetti. You have a nice evening ma'am."

The doctor stepped over Jebediah's lifeless body, back to his own table.

"You too doctor, merry Christmas." Replied the lady.

© 2020 Erudite


Author's Note

Erudite
Please rate and review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
1 Review
Added on December 15, 2019
Last Updated on September 4, 2020
Tags: Poems, writing, vagueness

Author

Erudite
Erudite

Riverside, CA



About
Greetings, reader. Please do enjoy this music I've prepared for you, and don't be too bashful to take a peek at some of my writings. My poem titled "Ah, To Float in My Boat" is one of my personal .. more..

Writing