Blooming Pomegrantae

Blooming Pomegrantae

A Chapter by E. Sanchez
"

Persephone hated pomegranates, because she had to; there was no other choice for her, was there?

"

She hated it, she hated everything….she tried to at least. She was meant for the sun, for growing flowers and enjoying listening to the nymphs by the lake. 
That had been her life, before she found herself under the tree of red fruits. 

She walked through the many halls, knowing when she was arriving to her destination because of the sudden feeling of fruitfulness. It was a different feeling from those fruits grown out in the sun, but the feeling was similar. It was home. 

Her long burgundy robe dragged upon the ground, golden hair drawn into a braid. This was what sealed her fate. 
She stopped right in front of the blooming tree. The red fruits were pulsing with life, calling to her, and she called for them as well. They were intoxicating. 
She reached out her hand and grasped one of the fruits, pulling it away and tucking it into her sash. 

“My Lady, it is time,” one of her maidservants made her way to her, head bowed down in reverence. Her servant reminded her a lot of Discord, with long flowing ebony locks and dark piercing eyes. 

“I know.” She muttered, voice toneless as she moved passed her and back towards the throne room. it wouldn’t be the first time that she compared her beauty to that of her servants. They were all beautiful, painfully so, and oh so loyal and devoted. 

“My Love, one would think you wouldn’t want to leave by how long you take.” 

She didn’t respond to his statement; they all knew she couldn’t wait to leave the dark. He always said the same thing to her, ever time she left. 
She could feel his dark eyes on her, but she didn’t bother to look at him. She couldn’t. 
She had to hate him, she couldn’t feel anything else but hate. 

“Ready to go Kore?” her half brother inquired, floating in the air, hand offered to her. She didn’t say a goodbye, didn’t even acknowledge her King.

…………………..

She laughed and smiled for the first few weeks. It then got too much. 
The sun was too bright, the sky too blue. There was so much green, so much singing and laughing. It was too melodious to her ears. It was the same thing. 
She wanted to be alone, not followed all the time. She wanted to be obeyed, she needed to be obeyed. She was Queen. 

She huffed as she sat down under an oak tree, finally finding some solitude. She wondered, if he was watching her, from his throne. Was he keeping an eye on her?

She had just finished hearing about her father’s recent conquests. Had her husband ever slept with another while she was gone? Did he have many other lovers? She doubted it, for who would suffer under his cold fingers and rough mouth? Who could withstand the cold and pale skin of his?

She felt a twinge of disturbance in her, and she realized that her half sister was playing her games again. She also realized that her half sister wouldn’t think twice about bedding her husband. She felt a sudden anger flared inside of her, she was Queen and would never allow her half sister to seduce her husband.

This did not mean that she had any feelings for him. She didn’t. 
She was just looking out for her marriage and reputation. That was all. 

“My dear, here you are,” her mother swept her up into her arms suddenly. 
“What is this? A pomegranate? Why would anyone want one of these?” She huffed, taking it from where Kore had placed it on the ground. 

“Leave it mother, that is mine.” Kore said, grabbing it back from her mother’s hand. 
“But it belongs-“
“In the Underworld, and so do I mother, I am Queen of the Underworld.” Persephone stated, for the first time admitting her position and connection with her husband. 
She saw her mother’s eyes darken with pain, but she was tired of playing Kore for her.

She was tired of hiding it. She was Queen of the Underworld. 
And Maybe….
just Maybe….

She actually loved the pomegranates.



© 2011 E. Sanchez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
Added on September 15, 2011
Last Updated on September 16, 2011
Tags: hades, persephone, demeter, greek, mythology


Author

E. Sanchez
E. Sanchez

About
Hello! I am not an avid reader or writer, but I do enjoy both! I started with writing fanfiction and I still do, but I have just started fiction. It is for this reason that I am here, to better .. more..

Writing