I Need Your Air

I Need Your Air

A Story by E. Sanchez
"

She had to save the child, because she had to make up for letting down her own son.

"

“GABRIEL!”

She didn’t stop to think, she couldn’t, there was no time. 
Her heart was about to jump out of her chest as she pushed her legs forward, faster, faster, she had to get there! She couldn’t fail him again, not again, not this time. Never again. 

She could see him, his beautiful caramel eyes staring widely up at her, but she had been too far away that time. Everyone had been far away, she had been too late. Too late. 

She felt tears rush down her face, her vision beginning to go faint as she pushed her body. 

The memories replayed in her mind, the soft laughter, “Mommy!”, the screeching car, the blood, the fear, the lifeless weight, marred light brown hair. 

She gave one last push onto the ground before jumping into the street, slamming against the frozen child, pushing him away just in time. 

Suddenly, everything came back to normal with the sound of the screeching car. 

~~
“NOO!!!” She yelled, tears streaming down her face as she rushed over to her baby’s fallen body. Her hands were trembling as she touched his shoulder. His body was twisted, arms at weird angles, blood dripping from his nose and head. His black dress pants and lavender dress shirt were ripped and stained with blood. 

“Someone call 911!!!!” She heard people scream around her, but all she could focus on, was her baby. 

“Please, baby.” She sobbed, gingerly picking him up, blood seeping from the wound on his head. 
“Don’t, please don’t.” She rocked his body, trying to will her son to life. She buried her face in his blood matted hair, wishing she could pass her life unto him. 

She felt his body being moved away from him, but she clutched harder to him.
“The ambulance, they are going to take him to the hospital.”

~~

“Oh god!”
“Someone call 911!!”

She could hear the voices around her, screaming for help. She hissed as she took a breath, feeling intense pain shoot up her spine. It hurt, everything hurt.

“Luv? Oh god, please, don’t.”

She heard his voice and forced her eyes to open. Her eyes connected with his and she could see that fear, that panic and anguish. She hated seeing that look on his face, so for him, she tried to weakly smile. 

“Is the baby okay?” She rasped out, even though her throat hurt and she felt the blood dripping down her throat, making her want to gag. 

~~

“You should have been watching him?!” He yelled at her the moment he rushed into the waiting room. She just sat there, staring down at her blood covered garments, her son’s blood. 

“Why weren’t you watching him?” He slumped next to her, brokenly. 

She looked up at saw the panic, the anguish in those eyes she loved so much. He hated her, she could tell. 
She hated herself as well. He was right, she should had been watching him. What kind of mother was she? She was going to lose her son, wasn’t she, and it was all her fault.
They both knew that.

~~

“Yes, you saved him.” He choked out, reaching out his trembling hand, to touch her hair, sprawled over the pavement. 

“I’m glad.” She whispered, before gasping and coughing out blood. The pain that she felt at the coughs almost felt too much. She began to lose focus, eyes beginning to close. 

“Don’t, the ambulance is almost here, you have to hold on!” He cried out, already able to see the ambulance. 

~~

“Doctor, what happened? Is he going to be okay?” they both rushed over the moment the doctor stepped into the waiting room. 

They both felt their world crumble when they saw him just shake his head in sadness. It couldn’t be. They had lost him. 

“No….No….It can’t be….Please….” She sobbed, feeling her husband’s arms go around her shoulders, but she couldn’t bare it. He blamed her. He hated her. She hated herself. She didn’t deserve comfort. 
She brushed him off and ran out, away, she needed to get away. 

~~

“I hurt….” she coughed out, feeling warmth radiate from him as he cradled her in his arms. 

“I know, but you’ll be fine, you’ll see. You have to, for me.” He sobbed, because deep inside, he knew he wouldn't survive if he lost her.

“Do you forgive me?” she asked, needing to know if he still hated her. 

“I forgave you the moment I saw you in the hospital’s waiting room.” 

~~
“Why?! Why did you take him away!? Why couldn’t you take me?!” She cried out to the skies. 

“WHY MY BABY! GOD! WHY!” She dropped to her knees and hit the ground, angrily, brokenly. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair. 
“He had don’t nothing wrong, why punish him when I’m the one who deserved it? Why?” 

~~

“I’m glad, we’ll be waiting for you up there….” She felt her energy giving out and the pain was actually fading, along with her consciousness. 

“Please don’t….don’t leave me….I can’t live without you, not you….Please!!” He cried out, clutching unto her tighter, tears streaming down his face. 
“Please God, just this time…..please…………..” he choked out.

~~

“Alejandro! I’m pregnant again!” She rushed over to him, eyes shining with joy. He picked her up and twirled her around, laughing with joy. 

“We must celebrate!” He said, pressing a kiss on her forehead, enjoying every moment he had her in her arms, remembering when he almost lost her. 

“Yes, we got to call our parents, and maybe have a dinner, oh dear, wonder if it be a boy or girl! Maybe God is giving us our son again?” She prattled on, moving over to pick up the phone and call her mom. 

Alejandro just smiled and leaned against the wall behind him, watching her excited hand gestures. 

He could never thank God for the new chance of life he gave them.

© 2011 E. Sanchez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on September 15, 2011
Last Updated on September 15, 2011
Tags: children, death, loss, second chance

Author

E. Sanchez
E. Sanchez

About
Hello! I am not an avid reader or writer, but I do enjoy both! I started with writing fanfiction and I still do, but I have just started fiction. It is for this reason that I am here, to better .. more..

Writing