What Is True Love?

What Is True Love?

A Story by Liz
"

True love is often defined in the most cliche ways. Care to open your mind?

"
I feel like putting a few things I've been pondering all out in the open since I've finished reading Dear John. If you're an analytical thinker like myself then you might enjoy this...

And yes, this is based on the topic of love, obviously. People are only cynical about it, because it actually is what it's cracked up to be :)

So I just finished reading the book Dear John. I've heard many different opinions about the book and the movie, mostly negative ones surprisingly. I have not seen the movie, I wanted to read the book first since many people said they were disappointed with the movie, usually the book is better than the movie. Anyways, I absolutely LOVE the book and how Nicholas Sparks brings these characters to life, I almost don't really have the desire to see the movie because the book was that enjoyable, but knowing me, I'll watch the movie anyways :). 

After I read the epilogue of Dear John, Sparks couldn't have captured the idea more perfectly, somehow I think some people missed his conclusion which saddens me a little. It brings me to the realization that the majority of people (obviously, this is mostly a female audience) want the cliche love story "happy ending" not only in the books they read, but in real life as well. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't want to live happily ever after? But the thing is, that people haven't realized, the whole cliche "happy ending" thing is so Walt Disney. "Happy Endings" come only from the journey you're on / will someday have with the one you're in love with, things don't just fall into place and everyones happy. Thats why I found the story Dear John to be so refreshing and real, in just the way Nicholas Sparks takes you on a journey about what true love really is. The way Sparks painted the picture of John and Savannah's relationship was sweet and romantic, but most of all it was realistic. Some might argue that in the beginning of the book the whole "love at first sight" thing between John and Savannah is cliche and that it never really happens in real life. The saying "love at first sight" is so....shallow. It's just a quick definition. Personally, what I think happens between two people when they first meet, that we have all learned to call "love at first sight" is nothing more than two hearts communicating in a language we cannot speak, but can render. The moment of subconsciously allowing our hearts to become our eyes so that our vision has clarity. Simply a moment of two souls finally finding one another. Thats what I enjoyed most about this book, Sparks made John and Savannah's relationship simple, but very beautiful. No matter how long John and Savannah were apart, no matter the distance between them they found a way to stay connected as long as they possibly could. The story did take a turn when Savannah couldn't take being apart from John, so she ended their relationship. As I was reading this part of the story, I couldn't believe it, she's waited this long, why end it now? But as I thought about it, it hurt her just as much as it hurt John. But despite the rough break-up between the two, what I found beautiful is that they never doubted their love for each other. At this point in the book, I kept on turning the pages because how all this might end had me guessing, and a little confused at some points, but thats what made this love story stand out from all the other love stories I've heard. The ending was probably the most breathtaking ending a love story could have, not because it ended in how you hope it will, but because of how unexpected it is. What I love about how Sparks ended the book is that, love stories aren't always the ones that end with the two people together, even though that kind of fated love can be just as real. Perhaps the real love stories are the ones that end with the two apart, due to circumstances and what life will hand us, like what Sparks portrayed in Dear John. Even though John and Savannah's physical aspect of their relationship ended, and despite where their lives took them, they never stopped loving each other. Love is selfless, which sometimes we forget, which is why I think many people were disappointed with the ending. We are selfish beings, it's human nature. I'm not saying it's wrong to long for one another because thats a part of love. The couples who ultimately end up together are fortunate, those are the cute and happy love stories we love hearing. But so often we fail to see the other side of love. You see, when you truly love someone their happiness is essential to your own, even if that means you have to watch them be happy loving someone else. 

© 2010 Liz


Author's Note

Liz
Yes, people have many ideas of what 'true love' is. These are just a few of my thoughts.
I'm not saying they're right and everyone else is wrong. Just a few things from my perspective.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've seen the movie and now am goin to read the book... Thanks Liz! Love stories doesn't always end up in a happy ending... It only happen in the fantasy world we created about Love... In the real world, the beauty of LOVE is when you feel the hurt in loving someone, through hurting you'll not only prove to yourself how much love you can give but also to prove to someone you love how far will you go, how much pain can you take, how many sacrifices will you make before you say STOP. Even then, love continues... it wont fade away... :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice to know some people still think(: Nice(:

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very thoughtful, very lovely!!! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 8, 2010
Last Updated on September 2, 2010

Author

Liz
Liz

MD



About
I'm Elizabeth I'm 18 years old and life is good ♥ I'm in love with the most amazing man ever; We said "I do" on August 26th, 2011 ♥ Simplicity and love is what pulses through.. more..

Writing
Can you hear me? Can you hear me?

A Poem by Liz


Forever Love Forever Love

A Poem by Liz


Hey You Hey You

A Poem by Liz