Malvern Hills in June

Malvern Hills in June

A Poem by Ethan

This little cabin and your long nose make me feel at home

Among the crumbling beams, white but blue.

 

On this chair lies the greycoat, forgotten like the red before him,

Rolled and wrinkled by star-speckled plows, button thieves, grave diggers.

 

Is this civility, you ask?

Desecrating thoughts fall upon the field like white snowy bombs

As ants flee Lee with fear and terriers suck reddened banners clean.

 

Hands thrust from beneath bloody green carpets,

Wrapping their tendrils round passerby-ankles,

Dragging souls down to fiery heaven, sweetly delicious.

 

Mad, mad, mad they are.

Slice their skulls and take their thoughts.

Cleanse them in the Robert Lethe!

 

Thank you, Lynchburg.

Peace, peace; debt and peace.

The babies cry for peace, I tell you.

 

Their fathers gone,

The war un-won,

Until the sleeping devils come.

 

© 2017 Ethan


Author's Note

Ethan
Reviews would be appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First off, I really like this piece. It's very mature and is riddled with wonderful imagery (my favorite being the long nose). Secondly, I love abstract poetry as it gives the reader much more freedom to take a poet's words and internalize them. That is the magic of poetry; how it can mean so many different things to different people.
For me, I assumed these "Malvern Hills" refer to the hills where a battle took place during the civil war. The forgotten grey coat seemed to be a hint (confederate army), as well as the red one before it (British during revolutionary war). I really loved the line about civility (another hint perhaps) and the words you chose to describe the vileness of war. The bloody green carpet of the hills is another stunning image. And the rest of the poem is just as scathing. War indeed causes babies to cry for peace, lest they be orphans. Anywho, that is how I experienced this piece. Since you were working on abstract references and style, I figured I'd tell you my take. But I did have to pay attention and sit with it a bit before settling on the theme/meaning I took from it: the inevitable uselessness of war even after all the pain and damage it causes.

Well done!


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much



Reviews

Wow you are very gifted. I feel the energy of what you saying. Very cool.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is great poetry. A ride through a very dark time in history. Wonderfully conceived, and fascinating in execution. This is reminiscent of American Classic stuff. Bravo!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Such wonderful abstract poem, written with a mature style that really captivated me. Big well done from me!
Take care,
Sil
:-)

Posted 6 Years Ago


It got a nice tune into it! Good job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


A very well written poem, great word choices, full of feeling.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Good use of imagery. I really enjoyed this piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


It's really good.... Well done! I loved it, keep writing!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ethan Hi. As a Brit, I was completely thrown for a while, as there is a range of hills in England with the same name. I don't pretend to understand all of this but from other comments and a second read I can see it's about a time of pain and conflict. Lee, I assume, is Robert E. Over and above all this, or rather underpinning it, is some wonderful lyricism and flow - smooth then staccato then smooth again. Like a couple of other folk, I especially like the last line.

Thanks for sharing.
Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


Like always I loved it.... Keep writing... Thanks for sharing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Loved this style of writing, your lines created such visual effects with a great ending. " Until the sleeping devils come" loved it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thanks :)) cool name btw
Jddcbjiuh

6 Years Ago

Aw thank you :) likewise! ^_^
Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thanks :))

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1220 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 26, 2017
Tags: poetry, free verse, prose, war

Author

Ethan
Ethan

TX



About
I try to get to read requests, but if you really need help just dm me. more..

Writing
Ascent Ascent

A Poem by Ethan


Runnings Runnings

A Poem by Ethan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Darling Fair Darling Fair

A Poem by Ethan