Bannon and the Scary "Alt-Right"

Bannon and the Scary "Alt-Right"

A Story by Evyn Rubin
"

Trump appointee had to distance himself from deeply offensive extremists, recently his colleagues.

"

Caution!  Below is one of two really obnoxious links I feel I need to post as evidence that the "alt-right" has a huge problem in its midst, or perhaps on its fanatical flank.   This link shows an online conversation among blatant racists, obsessed with the Jews, and identifying as "alt-right" and former alt-right.  This page of a blatantly bigoted website, shows a different version of the alt-right than the innocent version the Trump appointees are claiming.     

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t1186177-10/

I want to post a second link as well to make the same point.  Again, caution is advised, because the content is full of bigotry.  The author of the link is a crude racist, crudely homophobic, obsessed with the Jews, self-identified as alt-right, and on a fanatical rant.  Again this shows a different side of the alt-right than the innocent portrayal by Reince Priebus and Stephen Bannon.      

http://incogman.net/2016/08/jew-media-says-jew-f*g-heads-pro-trump-alt-right/

Priebus and Bannon have both tried to put a good face on the alt-right, by distancing themselves and their campaign from people with crude or extremist rhetoric, people    whose politics are widely recognizable as abhorrent.  At the same time, they still needed these people -- for their votes,  and other contributions to Trump's campaign. 

When Bannon came into the spotlight, during the summer, he tried to present a very cleaned up version of the alt-right, denying that it was racist or anti-Semitic.  He also name dropped a gay man  who is a leader in the movement, attempting to make the point that they are not prejudiced.  It was this inclusion that occasioned the most peeked and disturbed rant in the second link, right from the cesspool of bigotry -- white racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, and self-identified as neo-Nazi.

Alt- stands for alternative.  The alt-right is a recent repackaging of extreme right-wing politics.  A variety of people were involved, both crude and slick.  People who identified with this label were among the foot soldiers for Trump's campaign and a leader of the alt-right, Stephen Bannon, was among Trump's first appointees.  

Bannon is unlikely to speak crude words of hatred.  But, he shared a political self-designation together with people who post atrocious politics, in the crudest terms.  He is trying to distance himself, and there is a hurt argument within the alt-right, in response, detectable in the second link above.

Priebus also tried to distance Trump's campaign from the eager coat-tailing of David Duke.  Neither Priebus nor Bannon are likely to speak in the crude rhetoric of an obvious bigot.   They are dangerous nevertheless because they could put atrocities into concrete deeds without themselves uttering crude hateful words.                   

 

© 2016 Evyn Rubin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

406 Views
Added on November 15, 2016
Last Updated on November 18, 2016
Tags: Stephen Bannon, election 2016, right wing, alt-right, extremists, Donald Trump, anti-Semitism, homophobia, neo-Nazis, racism