Reader, Writer

Reader, Writer

A Story by ewest1220
"

He saw everything from the writer's greatest joy to his most horrible misery...

"

Reader, Writer

By: Ethan West


     A cold hand grips the page as warm blue eyes scan its contents.  Like a dream, like a nightmare the world of the writer explodes into his mind.  He can see the images as apparent as the bright ferocity of the sun that allowed his imagination to soar.

     He ran his hand along the page.  He felt the chill from the page where the cold tip of a pen had bled equally cold ink into the paper. 

    But as he read on he began to realize what the author was trying to say.  The worlds that once flew so effortlessly from the page had begun to slow.  But this slowing allowed him to see the writer's pain with surreal detail.

    He saw everything from the writer's greatest joy to his most horrible misery.  This was more than he wanted to see.  But he couldn't look away.  Warm tears cascaded from his eyes as he read on.  Smudging the page and smearing the ink.  The cold ink originally brought to life by the writer and long sense had grown cold was brought back to life his tears.  He was at the mercy of the writer's every word.

      He felt naked, his very soul exposed to that of the writer's.  In this whirlwind of emotions he was rejuvenated.  He was brought in the end to a final feeling of bliss at this new found life the book had imposed upon him.

      He closed the book with a soft thud, lifting himself off of the armchair in the now dark sitting room.  But even though the book was closed the aura of it still penetrated the still silence of the room.  He smiled softly as he placed it on the shelf.  Letting out a sigh of content he allowed his tired legs to escort him to bed...

       

       The book closed with a snap.  My mind now weary I placed the pen down on the oak desk, my book completed.  I looked around the desk for anything I'd forgotten and, seeing nothing, headed for bed.  Perhaps, in the future, someone would be affected by what I had written tonight... someday...

© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Decided to write about the relationship between reader and writer. Hope you enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really cool. I don't know if you did this on purpose, but it reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe due to the deep style that this poem gives. I really like that :). I also like your first sentence. It captured me into reading it over and over again. I think that was a great way to start this epic poem.

This one is also going in my library :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thanks! Edgar Allen Poe is actually one of my favorite writers so that's really flattering to h.. read more



Reviews

Reading this, i have actually experienced the reader's part of what you wrote, i felt your emotions,mit was like your inner mind was speaking to me. Id be dumb to give you a bad review

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol just to let you know if I did get a bad review it just means I have to work harder ;) Thanks fo.. read more
A writer's pursuit

11 Years Ago

Your welcome.great, that's what you should do
A writer's dream is to be read. I have been writing for almost 40 years. Was harder to gain readers before the internet. I got 20 poems published in 20 years. With the internet. I got published without much effort. I like the description of writing and the thoughts about the reader. A strong ending to a excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks again! I'm really glad you liked this one!
awesome!! can't say much else, an all-round quality piece of writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
wow I really enjoy this because I can relate to both characters! I absolutely adore reading! I can get so hooked on a book that I can read all night and not realize it's morning until my sister comes into my room to wake me up! simply amazing:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Timeless-Chan

11 Years Ago

ahahahahaah!!!! omg i would have LOVED to see that!!!
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Me too lol though I think living it was enough
Timeless-Chan

11 Years Ago

yeahhh:P ur probably right lol
Cool! I love how the writer has a part in this at the very end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you liked it!
I love the imagery in this it's a very nice story

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you liked it!
i loved the ending it makes me also think if my writing would affect someone else one day!! great job!!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

That's my hope too :) I'm glad you like it!
Rhea752

11 Years Ago

:D
"He was at the mercy of the writer's every word." I was! I was! This is a lovely read, and it really personalizes the relationship between two complete strangers, but are they really strangers? Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm really glad you liked it!
I so enjoyed this piece of writing. As it unfolded it brought to mind how wonderful the art of writing with a pen on a piece of paper was, compared to always typing on a compute. Technology has, I sometimes think, made us unable to just enjoy doing things at a slower pace.
"... still penetrated the still silence ... " same word used to close together in same sentence.
"... by the writer and long since had grown ... "

Loved the humor in "sigh of content he allowed his tired legs to escort him to bed."
I didn't want this story to finish, even though I didn't know what the book really was about! A very original idea.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm thrilled you like it!
This beautifully describes the powerful impact that an author's words will have on a reader, whether the reader understands it or not. Great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you liked it!
Admiral Kirk

11 Years Ago

Yeah, great job. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

900 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 17, 2012
Last Updated on July 17, 2012
Tags: short stories, dark, reflective

Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..