A Figure in the Night

A Figure in the Night

A Story by ewest1220
"

Please. Help me. I cannot Remember. It isn't real.... It isn't real...

"

A Figure in the Night

By: Ethan West


Reality. Can it really be as simple as what you see, what you hear?  Or is there something more?  Is reality what we can perceive or is it something we could never hope to comprehend?   Even if it was would we even be able to recognize something beyond our senses if we do not have the ability to sense it happening in the first place?


What reality is truly there when you can read what a writer has brought before you and enter the world he created?  What sense exists that allows you to enter a world your senses cannot tell?


I beg you to remember that this story is not real.  Your senses cannot tell my story, only I can.  You see words shed in ink on the page but you cannot see the beating heart behind them.  You hear these words as if they're your own but while the words are in your voice they are yours.  Created by you for a hope of understanding what your senses cannot depict as real.


So please remember, as far as your senses can tell, this story is not real.  In that same sense I am not real.  I'm simply the ink on the page that, by you, has been given the face of man.  I don't exist because in your reality I have not been brought to life.


And in that sense of false reality I tell a story reality has kept hidden from itself in your eyes.  I will tell you a story that reality, or lack thereof, will prove false.


It was a dark night the night it happened.  However my heart was ever darker, making the night around me appear bright as day through my tormented eyes.


But while my eyes brought nothing to mind but the headstone at my feet my imagination ran wild.  I jumped at the soft wind; I pointed my pistol at every shadow.  It was all in vain, for these fantasies I could not comprehend.


Something was there I know it!  It was too peaceful in the graveyard for the sins I was about to commit! Too quiet!  To kindly!


"Where are you?" I screamed as I fired my pistol into a dark corner.


A form fell from within the shadow with a soft thud.  I yelled in triumph at my victory.  My eyes rolled back into my skull in demented pleasure as my wild screeching laugh rent my mind asunder.


I ran towards where I had seen the body fall and reached into the shadows.  But my hand met nothing but the cool air.  I screamed in frustration and ran back to the headstone.


 My crazed eyes scanned the area around the headstone.  In the corner of my eye I saw the shadow move again.  This time however I stopped.  Waiting for the b*****d to make his move first.  He just stood there.  Am I mad?  Does my mind play me false?


The figure approached me without so much as a sound.  I felt a fire burning in my heart as fear overwhelmed my fragile soul.


It was at that moment; when the pain was about to completely overtake my ignorant mind that I was foolish enough to look down.  My eyes brought me reality.  My chest had become a white-hot flame.


I screamed in agony.  This isn't real.  Please oh please it cannot be real.


The man drew ever closer, and the flame increased in intensity.  "My god the pain in unbearable.  I cannot escape it!"


I raised my pistol and squeezed the trigger.  The man fell as the gun melted in my hand.  The powder in the bullet casings ignited and the gun burst into liquid fire.  Melting away the flesh from my hand and forearm.


The pain is unbearable.  I was unable to stand any longer.  I fell to my knees poised to pray.  But I can do nothing but scream.


The flames were, are, gone.  My heart that had once given me life now hastened my demise.  I have long forgotten why I am here.  I simply watched as the blood rushed from my arm in frenzied bursts.  The blood my heart rejected, the life I could never have.


I had forgotten my original intentions.  However I had killed the dark figure.  I reached for the figure but my pale hand closed again on nothing.


I clutched my forehead.  My head is spinning and I cannot move.  My ears are deaf.  Life itself, is killing me.


I am dying.  I have lost myself.  Am I telling this tale or living it?  I cannot tell anymore.


The figure stood up.  Its torso scarred heavily and shining with warm puss.  His forearm was gone, and blood was pulsing rapidly from the wound.


What did I do?  Have I done this to myself?  I'm grabbing a knife.  I'm holding it up to my throat.  I'm smiling.


Please. Help me.  I cannot remember.  It isn't real... it isn't real...

© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Have you ever been writing and suddenly felt yourself slip into the character? I attempt to bridge the gap between telling a story and living. Beware this one is eeire. Thanks for reading!

Any feedback would be great! Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very good tale in the story. I like the way you led me into the twisted tale. I like the mystery and the strong ending. Real and not real can twist our dreams and life. I like the complete story. A perfect ending to a outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow I'm really glad you liked the twist in this one! Thanks for reading!



Reviews

that is creepy. i like creepy stories but i don't think i write them well. great story. i was caught up in it the whole time!! Keep it up!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I will! I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for reading!
That was eerie. I could really feel his fear between not knowing if it was real or not. The way he was feeling pain though made me wonder if he was harming himself all along and not the mysterious figure.

Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure. I freaked myself out writing this one actually lol thank y.. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Will do :) I'm thrilled you liked this piece thank you again for reading!
This was amazing. Linked living and writing. I was really interested the entire time, waiting for the mystery you created to have an answer and instead answered with your confusion. It's mystifying and inspiring. Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thank you so much I'm really glad you liked it!
A very good tale in the story. I like the way you led me into the twisted tale. I like the mystery and the strong ending. Real and not real can twist our dreams and life. I like the complete story. A perfect ending to a outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow I'm really glad you liked the twist in this one! Thanks for reading!
Very dark, and very interesting. I know what you mean by "slipping into" the character. Sometimes I have dreams where I AM my characters... Great story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Ya this one shook me up quite a bit lol glad you liked it!
Admiral Kirk

11 Years Ago

:D Yeah, it was great. :)
This was very dark and I really enjoyed reading it! There were many questions that I still struggle to answer after reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I wrote it that way, more or less. I tried adding detail but it detracted from the emotional feelin.. read more
Exactly i got sucked into the story also not realizing that reality sets in and it's you all along i think that's reality!!!!!!!!! Loved just like you thought i would, lol!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol awesome glad you liked it my friend! That one and I have one other one I'm thinking about posti.. read more
Brandon Mathis

11 Years Ago

post em' up i got nothing but time
Uhh...Whoa....You had that bridge between reality thing that you wanted at the beginning, but I got sucked into the story of the character. I felt like I was having one of my dreams. O.O It was sort of cool but scary.
Anyhow, I liked it. :) Lol

Posted 11 Years Ago


Melody

11 Years Ago

It really is. Reminds me of a modern Edgar Allen Poe. Lol.
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

That's funny, most of my short stories emanate that kind of voice. I'm very introspective.
Melody

11 Years Ago

Lol. Hmm...Yeah you are. I hadn't really thought about it. But yeah, you can sort of tell in your wr.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

777 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 17, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012
Tags: short stories, dark, reflective

Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..