Chapter 7: The Journey Begins

Chapter 7: The Journey Begins

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

“Sundown,” he thought as he looked into the sky. “I didn't save any time at all.”

"

Chapter 7: The Journey Begins


Issak leapt from the cliff with his blade held tightly in both hands. He turned in the air and let his sword fall straight through the spine of the first man. Splitting his spine in half and opening his body cavity from behind. Elenor screamed loudly as the man fell to the ground, coughing up blood.


Issak knew what he had to do. He needed to separate the two spearmen from the foot-soldier Until then a spearman could launch an offensive from a distance, while the foot-soldier defended against every strike.


They had formed a semi-circle around Issak. The two spearmen on the sides to prevent a flanking maneuver. The foot-soldier in the middle to defend against his blows.


As the two spearmen stabbed at Issak he turned and ran up the side of the cliff and pushed off with all his strength. He couldn't call on his powers here. For if he did that he'd have six enemies instead of three.


He had jumped towards the center of the semi-circle towards the foot-soldier who successfully guarded his surprise attack. Issak's feet planted firmly on the ground outside the semi-circle The foot-soldier, still recovering from the strength of the first attack, was powerless to stop Issak from hurling a dagger at his exposed throat.


Issak rushed forward and ripped the knife from the foot-soldiers throat, opening up his jugular and allowing blood to flow mercilessly onto the ground. One of the spearmen took a stab at him, but without the protection of the foot-soldier Issak was able to easily parry the attack. Slicing the spear in half and throwing the already blood soaked dagger into the man's right eye.


But Issak hadn't noticed another man enter the fray. The man dismounted just as Issak's longsword took the legs of the last spearman.


The man approached Issak cautiously. His blade bore a serpent that wrapped itself around the hilt; the mark of a Amas sword master Issak's tired body could not take an attack from a sword master and he knew it. He climbed up the cliff, fist taking his dagger from his former adversary’s eye. He turned around to see a woman sprinting toward them, knife in hand.


The effect was similar to the man being thrown bodily into a blender. Merade blocked the first swing of the man's blade and stabbed the man's chest. The man, taken aback with shock, could do nothing but stare in awe as Merade shredded the man's skin. Again and again she slashed, until the man moved no more.


Issak wiped off his blades in the nearby brush; convinced that the battle was finally over.


“You!” Tao yelled from the carriage.


“I?” Issak retorted, slowly turning around to face her. Tao had her bow drawn and an arrow ready to kill. Before he could register what was going on Merade had a cold bloody knife at his throat.


“State your name,” Tao yelled.


“And why would you help us?” Merade snarled cooly.


“My name is Issak,” he replied. “And I was going to ambush those men and steal one of their horses.”


This was mostly true he thought. Though, he would have been fine with stealing a horse from the carriage as well.


“I was on my way to Shenok Duhl. But there is an army behind us of thousands of Amas soldiers. They are less than 5 days marching distance from this point.”


“A likely story,” Merade said sarcastically. She pressed her blade slightly harder against Issak's neck. He felt a warm trickle of blood slide drown his throat.


“Stop!” Elenor yelled. “This man saved all of our lives and now you would seek to kill him? What kind of repayment is that?”


Tao lowered her bow and Merade lowered her knife glaring angrily at Issak as though the whole mess was his fault. Issak met their stares with cold indifference.


“I apologize,” Elenor said shyly. “They don't usually act like that.”


“It's fine,” Issak coughed as he massaged his throat.


“You must come to my father's castle!” Elenor said eagerly. “He would give you a royal welcome and...”


“A royal welcome?” Issak interrupted, confused.


“You have no idea who you rescued do you?” Merade chuckled, finally deciding that the man before her wasn't a threat.


“No not really,” Issak replied.


“She is the daughter of King Saigen.” Merade stated calmly. “To do anything less than attend at his daughter's request is an insult to the crown.”


“Don't listen to her,” Elenor said softly. “It's your choice whether or not you want to come along.”


Her blue eyes gazed into his with a deep, searching look. He noticed that she seemed nervous. His mouth opened slowly as he said softly. “Sure, I'll go.”


Relief filled Elenor's face as she walked back towards the carriage. Issak stared at her as her figure disappeared behind the door.


“If only she knew what I was,” Issak thought bitterly. “Then she wouldn't be so neighborly.”


“Shall we be off then?” Tao asked?


“You drive,” Merade said gesturing towards Issak.


Issak walked over to the carriage and took a hold of the reigns.


“Sundown,” he thought as he looked into the sky. “I didn't save any time at all.”



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Alright this was copied straight from a written page so there may be typos. Please let me know where I can expand, what questions are unanswered or, really, any input you have on this book this has been a long time in the making. I have the entire book written I just need to translate it to text. Thank you guys so much for reading and for your support you guys are awesome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i forgot to say that in the very first fight...it really seems that you have (once in your lifetime ).indulged yourself in the fray.the description of the tactis.it really made me think so..i can only imagine a blood bath fray but i'm never good at describing it(i new there a long way i have to go.i'm still a kid at it)...but i'm so impressed with your work!!!!!!!!

this chapter.i don't know but i feel like it's turning point in his life..going to attend the king and receiving such courtly courtesies...and i guess there's someone who'll actually behave with him like a "human"...not like a monster..
i think he's kind heart ......


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Interesting perspective... I like it! And as far as the fighting goes I love describing every littl.. read more



Reviews

i forgot to say that in the very first fight...it really seems that you have (once in your lifetime ).indulged yourself in the fray.the description of the tactis.it really made me think so..i can only imagine a blood bath fray but i'm never good at describing it(i new there a long way i have to go.i'm still a kid at it)...but i'm so impressed with your work!!!!!!!!

this chapter.i don't know but i feel like it's turning point in his life..going to attend the king and receiving such courtly courtesies...and i guess there's someone who'll actually behave with him like a "human"...not like a monster..
i think he's kind heart ......


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Interesting perspective... I like it! And as far as the fighting goes I love describing every littl.. read more
Good

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Fanatstic

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
I don't really like Merade and Tao. I feel like if Elenor knew what Issack was, she wouldn't judge him any differently. Guess I'll just have to read on :P

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Merade and Tao are, interesting characters. Well I guess you'll see what I mean ;) anyways thank yo.. read more
Amanda

11 Years Ago

No problem dude :)
Combining chaps 5/6/7 in this review. I keep loving it more and more as I read on, I'm so enthralled by the story that you're telling me :). As others have already said with editing and such, other than that this is truly a telling tale :D great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Oh ya the editing I figured was always going to be a bit of a thorn in my side. I'm planning on goi.. read more
quixotic_rose

11 Years Ago

Awesome :) I look forward to more of your fantastic work :D
i enjoyed the dialogue..
keep it up


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you liked it!
Another question: why is Elenor being referred to as a "Lady" rather than a "Princess"? Because last I looked, the daughter of a king usually holds the title of "Princess". Is the family a very informal type of royalty? Not standing on ceremony all the time? Also, what happened to Elizabeth? It's like she suddenly just disappeared from the story. Hopefully, you get back to her soon!

I noticed that you put in the wrong form of "reigns". Reign usually means how long a king or a queen has been ruling for. "Reins" are the ones used for horses. And speaking of horses, the part where it says "The effect was similar to the man being thrown bodily into a blender", the whole "blender" metaphor just seems really out of context with this world. If they don't have electricity in this world, then how would the characters know what a blender is, let alone how it operates? I can understand your use of the word so that a modern audience can relate to it, but the best fantasy authors I have read were able to show what was happening to the characters in a medieval type of setting without needing to rely on modern references. I know, I am very nitpicky with my reviews. But please don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the overall story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Are you kidding? This is fantastic! I love getting criticism as weird as that sounds it really hel.. read more
FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

Oh good! Sometimes when I review things, I question myself if what I'm saying is really constructive.. read more
This chapter is amazing!
Keep on writing!
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks Roxast!
This is my review from chapter 4-7, this story is great. I love everything about it and I've bookmarked it. And you are one of the greatest writers I've been across.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Junert

11 Years Ago

Those are true and your work is a lot more better than some published literature I've read. I aspire.. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I don't know what to say, though I will say this is the second or third time you've made me blush lo.. read more
Junert

11 Years Ago

Thank you for honouring me by getting the privilege to see your work. It's really awesome.
i love the style of dialogue in this! very good! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks Poison Ivy. I love getting your input on my work thank you so much for reading!
Poison Ivy

11 Years Ago

anytime my friend

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

804 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2012
Last Updated on August 5, 2012
Tags: Book, Dark, Reflective, Fantasy


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..