Chapter 9: Dreams Of A Better Time

Chapter 9: Dreams Of A Better Time

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

"Who knew if he would see the room again after tonight..."

"

Chapter 9: Dreams Of A Better Time


Issak was laying against the wall of his masters house. Blood was running down his arm as the screams of men, women and children filled his ears. Flameing arrows struck the wood and straw houses, the heat from the flames burning his eyes.


“Elizabeth!” he shouted into the night. “Elizabeth!”


He ran through the crowds of dying people. Stumbling through the smoke and wreckage. Looking desperately for any sign of her.


His 15 year old body shook at the horrific sights before him. And as he rounded one of the disheveled pathways he saw them. Amas soldiers were sprinting into the city shouting loudly with their blades swinging in the air. And Elizabeth's figure could be made out behind them. She appeared to be unconscious Issak withdrew a knife from his belt and ran to meet the soldiers. If only his master was alive he could help...


Suddenly he felt his heart stop, and power flooded through him once again. “No!” Issak screamed. “Not now! Not her!”


But there was no stopping it. His eyesight fogged as the Amas soldiers stopped dead in their tracks. Screaming, not from joy, but now from fear the soldiers sprinted away from the city as man, woman and child alike were engulfed in white hot flame and wind....


“Wake up!” Issak's eyes snapped open to see a soldier in silver armor. Poking him from his perch on the carriage with a back end of his spear. “Sir, the king has granted you entrance to his keep. He seeks an audience with you at mid day.”


“And I don't think he will desire you company with you looking like that.” Tao chuckled from the now open gate.


Issak sat up slowly, head spinning. “Just a dream,” he thought to himself sadly. “It was all just a dream.”


“Though she is quite right,” he thought to himself looking down at his clothing. His brown leather jacket was drenched in blood, and his pants were rock hard from a combination of blood and dirt that had dried between the fibers. Issak nose was filled with the stench of death and filth.


He stood up on the roof of the carriage and stared at the castle before him. It was tremendous, with high walls surrounding the ever higher towers. A behemoth of military strength that surrounded the peaceful keep within.


Issak, with the Amas army vivid in his mind, realized that while it looked strong it was a logistical nightmare. The walls were much to large for the keep within to sustain, soldiers would be spread too thin along it's great banks to defend itself. And the towers were leaning inward toward the keep slightly. With enough force the towers would compromise the entire structure.


He turned to face the main gate, it's great wooden doors open in admittance. “Hopefully I wont be here when they have to defend it.” he thought bitterly.


“I will take you somewhere where you can change your clothes.” Tao said as Issak approached her. “Elenor is speaking to her father now and I doubt you will have much time before he seeks an audience with the hero who saved his daughter.


She sounded almost spiteful to Issak. He sighed softly. “I am not a hero.”


“To be a hero,” Issak though bitterly as he was escorted into the castle. “You have to feel like you are fighting for a positive goal. You have to fight for a cause, or make an effort to destroy evil. I fight to survive. The romantic ideals of a hero are far from my eyes and ears. And there isn't much I can do about it...”


Tao led him through the main gate into the inside of the great castle. He stared at the interior of the castle. He had heard that the king detested flamboyancy, but Issak hadn't realized, until now, how true the rumors were.


The design was of simple elegance. The high vaulted ceiling of the entrance hall had only one decoration. Two great banners that bore what must be the family crest on their silken form.


The family seal depicted a man and a bear locked in combat. The bear looked weak while the man word a triumphant look on his face. He towered over the bear in ironic fashion. The words sewn in underneath read...


“Man's spirit never breaks, therefore, mankind will best all challengers.”


“Man hasn't bested this challenger,” Issak smiled at the thought.


Apart from the great banners the only other decorations to speak of were a few potted plants and a bright red carpet that ran along the center of the room down a long hallway. A scattered assortment of soldiers patrolled the hallway, the clink of their boots instilled a feeling of order and peace.


“That way leads to the throne room.” Tao said pointing down the red carpet. She turned and pointed to the left. “That way leads to the kitchen and dining hall.” She turned again to the right this time. “And that way leads to the gardens and, more importantly, your room. It will be the 15th door to the right, clothes and a bath have already been prepared for you.”


“Thank you,” Issak said calmly.


“Pleasure is all mine,” Tao said coldly. “If you need anything else simply ask one of the maids. I must return to my duties.”


Issak turned and watched as she ran down the red carpet to the throne room, the click of her shoes muffled by the carpet below. He turned back around and pushed open the heavy door on the right side of the room to reveal another hallway.


The door closed shut behind him and Issak gazed at the hallway, a pleased look on his face. It was just as simple and elegant as the entrance before it. The same red carpet ran down the length of the hallway, which ran further than his eye could see. Great windows lined the left side that overlooked the courtyard.


Tao had neglected to tell him just how beautiful the garden outside was. Beautiful flowers and hedges created a maze like symphony of beauty and wonder. The bright stone path lost in the sheer depth of the beautiful maze.


“It would be perfect for a long, romantic walk,” Issak thought with a calm sigh. “What a shame.”


He walked along the path counting the doors as he went.


“4, 5, 6. I wonder what the king is like, does he truly resemble the simple elegance of his castle?”


“9, 10, 11.” A young maid exited out of the 12th door and Issak called her to him.


“Yes?” she asked politely.


“I would like you to go to the library and get me a book please,” Issak said kindly.


“What kind of book sir?” the maid asked cautiously.


“Make it an interesting one,” Issak said with a false smile. “I'll be the 15th room. It would be very nice to once again indulge myself in a good book!”


The maid nodded and hurried down the hallway. Issak hoped he had sounded like a true gentleman so as not to attract attention. Though with the blood all over his clothes it was hard not to look suspicious.


“13, 14...” And finally the 15th door stood before him. He turned the cold brass handle slowly, the doors gentle creek announcing his arrival.


“The room radiated the simple, pleasurable warmth that the rest of the castle possessed. A large soft bed sat in the middle of the back on one side and a golden mirror and mahogany dresser were against the opposite wall. There was a round carpet that was the same red color as the ones outside the room sitting in the middle. Giving the room a feeling of oneness that was comforting to Issak's soul.


Issak walked over to the open door to his left where a tub awaited his arrival. He slowly immersed himself in the warm waters and sighted deeply. The water casting a spell of comfort that filled his entire body. His mind drifted into a void of pure bliss as he silently enjoyed the moment...


“Issak! Help Me! Please help me!!!”


Issak ran down the dark road, it seemed to become longer and longer. He watched the Amas soldiers running towards him. He felt the fire burning his soul... “ELIZABETH!!!!”


Issak snapped awake with a start, all was still calm in the stone floored bathroom. No sounds echoed from the walls. “Good,” he thought to himself. “At least I was only screaming in my dreams.”


“Sir,” said a young woman’s voice behind him. Issak turned hastily to see the young maid standing at the entrance to the room, book in hand, and face red.


“Just place the book over there,” Issak said gesturing toward the dresser. The maid hastily placed the book on the dresser and made a move towards the door. Issak watched her leave and, deciding that the king would surely be calling for him soon. Left the relaxing comfort of the bath and got dressed.


Issak stared in the mirror at the clothes the king had picked for him. A silk shirt and cotton pants were refreshing compared to his usual leather and cloth. They also helped to cement the idea that the king enjoyed simple beauty. His eyes drifted down the mirror to the dresser where the book lay silent.


“The Legend of Anri,” he sighed slowly. The legend of Anri's defeat of Keir was a classic story, or fable, that is. Within it's pages was the idea that a shifter could rise up as a hero and not fall victim to his or her own power. It was a source of hope for him in a past life. But try as he might the more control he tried to have over the power the more damage he caused. The book was a useless fairy tale with no history backing it.


His hands reached for the book's leather binding eager for at least a pleasant read. But before his hands could so much as touch the book as sharp rap on the door made him turn around hastily.


“Yes?” Issak questioned, frustrated.


“The king seeks an audience with your person. He awaits you in the throne room and bids you come as soon as it is convenient for you.” a man's voice boomed from the other side of the door.


Issak sighed sadly. “Let's get this over with,” he thought to himself as he grabbed his sword and daggers from the foot of his bed. He clicked the belt with his longsword to his waist and slipped the the sheathes of the daggers into a second belt. Fastening it just below his shoulders. Concealing the blades from view.


He than began to make his way toward the door. He looked one last time at his room. Then closed the door behind him. Who knew if he would see the room again after tonight...



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Posted this in a little bit of a hurry (Going camping!) Please let me know if there are any errors! Thank you so much I hope you enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This chapter is definitely an improvement over the previous ones. The details you put in are giving me a clearer picture of this world and the people living in it. And they were just the right amount of details. They didn't overwhelm the chapter. Some of the novice fantasy authors that I have read made the mistake of having too many descriptions of the setting and too little plot.

I did notice some fragmented sentences that were rather choppy and didn't exactly make for a smooth read. But other than that, I really liked what I read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I can't wait to post my revisions and see what you think! Past that thanks again for readi.. read more
FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

You're welcome!



Reviews

There are but a few errors and I wish Issak would spend more time at the palace.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

He spends a good deal of time there, though maybe not as much as there could be ;) thanks for readin.. read more
Another great chapter, well done :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!
im continually fascinated each time i read a new chapter of yours. :)
i don't see any errors, i think its very well done.
have fun camping btw! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow I'm thrilled my story fascinates you! I did have fun camping btw ;) glad to be back!
Poison Ivy

11 Years Ago

:)
Yes, he is a typical anti-hero.
Brilliantly captured, his thoughts and the surroundings.
The best chapter I've read so far ... still waiting for Elizabeth though, her I love!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol hopefully that's a good thing ;) thanks again for reading!
still such a great story...just give more details, more imagery...yer tying yer hands up in form...let the words flow out and paint a picture more of all that's happening...don't get hung up in form and shape just pump out the words to reveal all that u r seeing to your audience

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I got ya, well at the very least I'm really glad you're liking the story and I'll get to the details.. read more
gombeggar

11 Years Ago

glad i can help
HAHA!!! i love it when you make your characters suffer :P anyways... great details and imagery. nice chapter, very enjoyable :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! :D
This chapter is definitely an improvement over the previous ones. The details you put in are giving me a clearer picture of this world and the people living in it. And they were just the right amount of details. They didn't overwhelm the chapter. Some of the novice fantasy authors that I have read made the mistake of having too many descriptions of the setting and too little plot.

I did notice some fragmented sentences that were rather choppy and didn't exactly make for a smooth read. But other than that, I really liked what I read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I can't wait to post my revisions and see what you think! Past that thanks again for readi.. read more
FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

You're welcome!
Besides a few grammatical errors it was another amazing chapter:) keep up the good work! (and have fun camping:)
God bless

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks :) I'm pretty sure the grammar will be fixed when I re-read this. This chapter was a little.. read more
Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Again no problem:) and ahhh I can't wait for whatever the "..." is!!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

827 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 6, 2012
Last Updated on August 6, 2012
Tags: Book, Dark, Reflective, Fantasy


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..