My Magnificent Garden

My Magnificent Garden

A Story by Barbara Walker
"

One woman's experience with planting a garden.

"
When I proclaimed to my husband, Tom, that I was going to plant a vegetable garden, I was hurt at his reaction-a raised eyebrow, a questioning look, as if I were out of my mind.
"What? You think I can't do it?"
"Well, look what happened to the house plants."
I had, one way or another, killed them all. But, it was Spring, now; the time for new growth! I told Tom that I was going to grow tomatoes, carrots, squash, lettuce, cucumbers and watermelons.
"That's not a garden, it's a farm!"
My look said it all.
Tom said, "How stupid of me. You never do anything, "small!"  
I chose to take that as a compliment. "Thank you, Honey."
Tom rolled his eyes.
The next day, I went to the thrift store to buy overalls. Then, I spent hours and hours, trying to break up the hard ground. I was a quarter of the way done and exhausted! I trudged into the house. I'd lie down on the couch for ten minutes and then, start dinner.
Three hours later, Tom was nudging me. "Honey, wake up and get into bed."
"But, dinner," I mumbled.
"Are you hungry?"
"No...I'm so tired, I..."
Tom led me to bed and I crawled in, overalls and all.
The next morning, I sheepishly, walked out to the kitchen. Tom had already made coffee.
"Honey, you're going to kill yourself, trying to do all that by hand. I'll rent a rototiller and help break up the ground."
I knew marrying him, was one of the smartest things I've ever done!
It was amazing, how fast Tom got the soil ready for me to plant. I used little starter plants for the most part. Where I used seeds, I put four or five in each hole, for insurance.
Then, I waited and waited.
Finally, little green shoots began to appear. However, my tomato plants looked very droopy. The lettuce came in...at an alarming rate. The cucumbers looked good, but there was too much squash!
One morning, I discovered all the tomato plants dead. I quickly, hid them in the trash can, so Tom wouldn't see them. And where were the carrots and watermelon?
I tried every squash recipe I could find. One day, Tom said, "I'm turning yellow."
I loaded up my neighbors with gifts of squash. It got to where the old couple next door, wouldn't answer their door.
I was dejected, one night, when I brought Tom a plate of salad. There was lettuce, cucumber and nothing else.
"Where are the tomatoes?" Tom asked.
"Well, you see, uh, um..."
"They went the way of the house plants, huh? Don't worry, we'll buy some at the store."
"Yeah, but I really wanted to have a whole salad out of my own garden."
The next week, I was out working in the garden, when Tom came out. He looked where the carrots and watermelon were supposed to have grown. Then, he looked at me, in my overalls and hat, smiled and said, "Compared to the house plants, you had a magnificent garden."
I chose to take that as a compliment. "Thank you, Babe!"
He put his arm around me and we walked into the house. 

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sweet story ..:) keep it up.. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nice uplifting story. It put a smile on my face. sorry for taking so long to get back to your read request :)
Anyway keep up the good work

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
I enjoyed the story. A garden is hard work and when they do not grow. My Gran is very much a 'garden' person, she was always out in the garden planting flowers when we lived in Dubai, haha, loved it. It was her little job thingy :P Ha.

Loved this!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"...had..." such a good word... we need a fair sense of the ridiculous especially toward our selves at times. A good story whether real or memorex.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My wife is the yard person. I never had the touch. I enjoyed the story. A garden is hard work and when they do not grow. Nothing can be done. I like your husband answer. Thank you the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

hank you for the kind review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 28, 2013
Last Updated on April 28, 2013
Tags: garden, vegetables, dirt, cultivate, plant, gardening

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing