What Does Family Mean To You?

What Does Family Mean To You?

A Story by Amanda
"

An answer to a question I was asked on family. My meaning of it.

"
It means your baby brother learning new phrases or giving you a new nickname and pretty soon your mom calls you that too. It means your brother being locked in his room because he feels misunderstood and it means finally being able to reconnect with him again. It means your dad barely spends time with you because of his girlfriend and her son and it means he says all he needs to say in the card he gives you for your 15th birthday. It means dealing with your mom's erratic mood swings and constant commentary on your weight. it means your eldest brother being off in a war you didn't care about until you realized how much he meant to you. It means separation and hurt and tears at midnight as your pretend you're asleep. It means drama and eye-rolling and yelling and the policemen coming about your runaway brother. It means chores and groans and blaming your mom for even having you. But it also means hugs and laughing at the dinner table and watching a movie with your dad who, for once, is paying attention to you. It means seeing your brother after a year of him being overseas on your birthday. It means finding your runaway brother in the parking lot and telling him you need him at home. It means thanking your mom for having you and telling her that, yeah, maybe this family thing isn't so bad. It means love. 

© 2010 Amanda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

awww. i am so glad i decided to read this. i was pondering whether or not to read this because it was long.... not long as in time but as in trying to read a few other pieces from my friends... havent for anyone and i feel bad. this was so good though. i couldnt have said it any better. i mean i could but it wouldnt sound as awesome as yours. keep it up!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was afraid there'd be a sad, depressing ending, so I'm glad you found some rays of sunshine amongst all the dark clouds.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2010
Last Updated on June 25, 2010

Author

Amanda
Amanda

Richardson , TX



About
I love to write-it's one of my passions. I love marching band-anything with music really. And I enjoy art. more..

Writing
It's Up to You It's Up to You

A Story by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Regrets Regrets

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Life Life

A Poem by Tate Morgan