Sorry?

Sorry?

A Story by Fahmida Mehreen

It is saddening that all your sentimental confessions came down to just one word: Sorry.

Sorry, that supposedly means feeling distress especially through sympathy, or feeling regret or penitence, or just a polite expression of apology. But of course, what good can sorry do? Even if I willingly take The Sorry, what glad tiding should I expect it to bring?

I, too, am sorry that you feel guilty of breaking my heart. But, before expressing your utmost grief and pity, please place your bloody hand on the cracks of my heart. Cut yourself on the sharp broken pieces. Cut it deep. Let the blood splash out. Your blood, this time. Feel the excruciating pain. Feel it so much that you scream out loud in tantalizing agony and your screams run back to you like a ghost. Your ghost, precisely.    

And then, when finally the echo of your scream faints you only need to realize that you have cut your tough palm, and the weapon to cause such inflicting damage was the slaughtered pieces of my heart that you have kindly left with me. What do you feel now? I am generous enough to give you a bandage with antiseptic to cover and heal your wounds. But you, I must say, are conniving to offer a “sorry”.  

Sorry? No, I am sorry.   

© 2016 Fahmida Mehreen


Author's Note

Fahmida Mehreen
Yet again, just some passing thoughts put down together.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I share the same thoughts as you do on this matter. Saying sorry is like putting a band-aid on a cracked window: the damage is still there.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Fahmida Mehreen

7 Years Ago

Perfectly said. Damage done cannot be undone and no repair can restore the originality.
Than.. read more
Powerful story. Having the ability and the mental fortitude to say I am sorry that you feel guilty for breaking my heart, seemed much to passive, then the true sentiments came gushing out.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Fahmida Mehreen

7 Years Ago

Absolutely. By the time it is said out loud or even acted upon, it might just be too late.
<.. read more
This is a new perspective to look at the most common word which was not supposed to be common but it has been made common.... But why?
Your story doesn't gives the reader a definition of Sorry, in fact it shows what it means to be sorry.
Since the degradation of moral values we have lost real meaning of many things... Word 'Sorry' is just an example of it.
I admire your power of observation for writing such potent story. It was a pleasure reading this story.



Posted 7 Years Ago


Fahmida Mehreen

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the appreciation! What you said is very true. People misuse the word and has turned it.. read more
Wow. This is a very poignant piece. I could really feel the pain, especially in the third paragraph. The imagery and raw emotion in that part can scarcely be improved; it was near perfect. Truth be told, when someone crushes our feelings to pieces, the word "sorry" seems insignificant, and I think this piece described that brilliantly. The last line really topped everything off. Well done.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Fahmida Mehreen

7 Years Ago

Thanks a ton, William.
Sorry is very futile after a heartbreak. It is merely a word. But, peo.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

761 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 27, 2016
Last Updated on August 27, 2016

Author

Fahmida Mehreen
Fahmida Mehreen

Dhaka, Bangladesh



About
An aspiring writer, chasing dreams. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Achilles Achilles

A Poem by TheRaven


Muse Muse

A Poem by gabiaimee


Glistening Glistening

A Poem by MsJewel