Strangley Beautiful, Chapter 1: Voices

Strangley Beautiful, Chapter 1: Voices

A Story by Beautiful Strange
"

Help! I need a name for this series-type-thing. Ive never been in a hospital before so i rly dont know what im taliking about.. Version 2. I got rid of the prologue and edited the dialogue and added some things.

"

Pain. So much pain. Fists and legs come at me. I can’t fight back or defend myself. I can only scream.

* * *

It hurts so much. They’re not attacking me anymore. I can’t move. It hurts so much. I hear a voice, a girl. She’s telling me to stay awake but I can’t. I just can’t…

* * *

They came back for me. There are more voices, more lights. I hear the girls pretty voice among them. She must have been with them. All of a sudden she stops talking. Maybe they killed her. Or maybe they're hurting her. I hear screaming...
* * *
I'm floating now. Maybe I'm dead. The pain isn't gone though. Am I going to hell? The girls pretty voice is still gone. There are different voices now. They aren't hateful, just urgent. "William!" one says. William? Is that my name? I don't know. I am so confused. I am so scared.
The voices are yelling at each other.
"Who is she?"
"She says she's his girlfriend. She-"
"Get her out of here!"
"But I-" It is the girls voice!
"He's in shock!" a new voice yells.
"Call the OR and tell them he's on his way as soon as he's stable!"
I don't know what any of this means. I just want the pain to end. Stop the pain!, I want to say, Kill me!
But I cannot form words. I can only scream.
I drift away...
* * *
When I wake up the pain is gone. I am lying on my back In an uncomfortable position. Uncomfortable. Not painful. My leg is held up on something that looks like a trapeze. I can't turn my head because there's something that holds my neck in place. I must have moaned because I heard a gasp. A girl stands over me. She's pretty. She smells like lavender.
"William, are you awake?"
I recognize her voice from some where.
"My name is Kaylee,"
Her voice is also pretty. She smiles at me. All of a sudden there are footsteps.
"William," a new voice says. It is also strangely familiar, "The hospital called the house. I got here as I could." I can almost remember his name. Something with a G...
"Who are you?" Kaylee asks.
"I'm his boyfriend, G-"
That did it. "Gabe," I manage to choke out. I can remember everything about him. His smell, his face, and how much I love him.
"Gay and taken..." Kaylee mumbles looking at a plastic rectangle.
"William, babe, How d'ya feel?" he asks, swooping down to kiss me. The monitors beep quickly as my heart rate accelerates. He kisses me for a long moment, until Kaylee clears her throat. Gabe straightens up and offers his hand to Kaylee.
"Gabe Saporta, pleasure to meet you. And you are?" he says.
She takes his hand and says, "Kaylee Thatcher, pleasure to meet you too," she says, smiling, obviously not creeped out by our little display of affection.
At that moment a nurse comes in.
"Time for your medication!" she says enthusiastically. I suppose that's a good thing to some people, but I'm not in pain and it would defiantly put me to sleep and that would mean less time with Gabe.
"Looks like you got a little excited there," the nurse says, looking at the heart monitor and eyeing Kaylee suspiciously.
Gabe and I exchange a look.
Gabe is the last thing I see before I fall asleep.

* * *

]I wake up to the sound of Gabe's voice.
"Why can't I make these decisions?" He says angrily.
"Because you're not related or married," The doctor says calmly.
"I'm as good as!" Gabe yells.
"Please just give us the phone number and address of his parents, why is that a problem?" The doctor asks, finally losing his patience. There is a scratching sound like pen on paper.
"Thank you, Mr. Saporta," The doctor says. There are footsteps as the doctor leaves. Gabe sighs and grabs his purple hoodie and turns to leave.
"Gabe," I whisper. He turns around.
"You're awake!" He says. Then I realize why he was leaving. There is a pack of cigarettes in his hand. He puts them in his hoodie pocket. I don't want him to know I saw him leaving me, or maybe I'm just selfish.
"Where's Kaylee?" I ask. him looking around the room as best as I can and finding no trace of her, except for the lingering scent of lavender in the air.
"She left about an hour ago. She's been here longer than I have," He says, acting as if he weren't about to leave. Just then a doctor comes in. "Ah, Mr. Beckett you're awake," He says, clicking his pen and writing on my chart. He shines a light in my eyes. The sudden pain in my head makes me flinch, which is a bad idea. It sends a spasm of pain through my body. I try not to cry out because I know it hurts Gabe when I do, yet a whimper passes my lips and I silently curse myself. Gabe's face scrunches up and the doctor mumbles something and writes on the chart. "Alright, Mr. Beckett, I'd like you to follow my pen with your eyes," He says. The Doctor examines me for a few more minutes. I look over at Gabe. He looks more anxious than I've ever seen him. Finally he gives up his struggle.
"You gonna be okay if I step out for a smoke?" He asks me. His face apologetic.
"Yes," I say. He whispers something in the doctors ear and the doctor nods.
More examination.

Gabe comes back just as the doctor is finishing up. I am starting to feel tired.
"I'm tired," I say to Gabe.
"Are you in any pain at all? Do you need medicine?" He asks quickly.
"No, I feel fine. But, don't I get a good night kiss?" I say, almost pleading.

He debates for a moment. I know he wants to. I can see it in his eyes. He finally leans over and we kiss longer then before. He tastes like cigarettes, cafeteria food, and peppermint. His kiss gets more urgent every second. The monitor is going crazy, like I might have a heart attack. Finally, when I feel like my heart. might explode out of my chest, the kiss ends. "I love you," he whispers in my ear before kissing my cheek. He straightens up and smiles.
"Now look what I've done, you'll be up half the night thinking about that kiss," he says, mockingly. That's when I realize we have and audience outside the glass wall. Some are cheering. Some just smile. And others look completely outraged. Damn republicans. I don't feel ashamed. I feel triumphant. Finally, I close my eyes and lock the memory of that kiss in my mind, replaying it over and over. After a few minutes, when Gabe thinks I'm asleep. He sighs and walks out of the room. I try to keep calm. A few minutes later he returns with someone following him. There is a rustling sound. I open my eyes the tiniest bit and see that they've bulled the blinds shut.
"So, how bad is he," Gabe asks.
"Five broken ribs and a broken leg. His leg should heal up considerably well , but he will most likely walk with a limp for the rest of his life. His skull was almost crushed when they brought him here. They managed to put it back together in surgery. Both of his arms were severely damaged. His left should heal completely, but, best case scenario he will have very limited use of his right. He is lucky though, considering the extent of his injuries, his spine was relatively unscathed. His posture will slump over a bit," the doctor says.
"And his brain?" Gabe asks, choking back tears.
"He does have some permanent brain damage. His eyes are extra sensitive to light. He'll become frustrated easily, sometimes resorting to almost child-like behavior. He will forget things easily. Also he'll get distracted a lot. Paranoia is also likely, considering the events that led to his injuries. He'll be treated for depression when he is discharged. Just in case," The doctor finishes.
"Thank you, Doctor." Gabe s. He comes to sit next to me. He grabs my hand and says quietly, "I'll take care of you, William, I promise."
I want to tell him I love him and that he doesn't have to do that for me. But I am too tired...

 

© 2009 Beautiful Strange


Author's Note

Beautiful Strange
The paragraph in the beginning is referring to the ambulance. Some people were confused. William thought that when the EMT bumped him and the EMTs had to yell over the road that his attackers came back, the screaming he was talking about is his own

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was good. the first half gives the feeling of being in the ambulance and the ER, due to its fast pace and short sentences. Its well put together as well.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
1 Review
Added on February 9, 2009
Last Updated on June 1, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Beautiful Strange
Beautiful Strange

Marietta, GA



About
I'm Beth, i started this account to see if i have any luck writing My Chemical Romance fan fiction. more..

Writing