Sciencefictionmumbojumbo

Sciencefictionmumbojumbo

A Story by Derrek Wesley Steven Gaspard

Momentum.

 

The intuitive thought invoking object oriented image engine produced layers of optical stimulus directly to the brain. "It was as a living dream", stated one deluged person. The odd thing, when you get down to, is through two tiny orbs we observe this world around us and the galaxy around that…a gaze penetrating into the deepest parts of space. One would figure big orbs would be needed to view big things. In truth these small anomalies, specks in comparison with what is viewed, allow great visual interpretation of the energy and atoms that move fluidly around us, 
 

Such as branches responding to the invisible force of wind.  


 

I invented the lever for the device. It could have been a button or a series of buttons but a lever… a lever gave a sense of accomplishment and power that any bright red laminated button would be eternally envious over. 

 

When I was a child my father would take me to the home of a friend of his who had a slot machine; the kind with the cherries, lemons, and apples (you were suppose to line like fruit up.. but there was a smaller payout for certain mixed fruit). The drawer was open so whatever you dropped in could be replaced into the ever hungry coin slot. I pulled the lever many many times. The tingling sense of amazement coming from my tiny hand bringing down that antique pole of metal became concrete in that experience. In my mind the fruit is still spinning in fantastic brightly colored blurs. To this day I still think of it fondly. 


To be fair, I didn't invent the lever. I just suggested it should be used instead of a button. These days there is no real inventing, just suggesting this and that should be thrown together, much like you would construct a word or a sentence. This lever and that part should hook up to this terminal which can oversee gravity for that hemisphere, with appropriate sound effects included in the operation of said powerful planet maintenance device, of course.  So now everyone refers to me as the lever guy. I feel a sense of accomplishment and an almost swell of intellectual validation.  
 

I am not diluted. I know the TITIOOIE would operate without the lever or someone else could have as easily suggested it… there is no real intellectual break through…. or cutting edge technology spawned. Maybe I'm silly, but when I observe the lever being pulled and the look on the operators face I know I have done something great. It belongs there. It has a purpose. It accomplishes something. All over the world there are levers but only one causes the mind to react to a world of images no mind in its natural functioning would experience.  
 

© 2008 Derrek Wesley Steven Gaspard


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on April 28, 2008
Last Updated on June 2, 2008

Author

Derrek Wesley Steven Gaspard
Derrek Wesley Steven Gaspard

Manchester, NH



About
Derrek Gaspard, born 1981, relocated from New Orleans (where he was born and raised), Louisiana to Manchester, NH in September of 2007. Derrek hasn't written anything worth reading yet but he is wor.. more..

Writing