Chapter Fifty: Race Wars Tribute

Chapter Fifty: Race Wars Tribute

A Chapter by Fenix Flight
"

For Twinkie

"

The Mazda purs under Katie's hands she she grips the steering wheel. Ahead of her Han's Nissan was speeding down the desert lane smoothly, Ahead of him was Byran's Nissan Skyline, ahead of him, Lisa was in her Mazda Rx-7 one her's was a sleek shiny red, and of course Taking the lead was Dom in his and Mia's fathers blue 70 Dodge Charger R-T. That car had seen so much and had had to be rebuilt  numerous times. The only time Dom ever took it for a ride was for Race Wars, the rest of the year she sat in their Garage at home where he would tinker at it.


Race Wars! She is really heading to Race Wars! She looks over at her passenger and gives Melina a giant smile. Race wars is event that Dom and Liza practically invented way back in the day. It is a place in the desert that Racers of all kinds could come out and race for money, pink slips, but most of all for the bragging rights to say they were the best. The event is almost a three day party. It use to be held in June but the heat was starting to affect drivers and party goers alike so everyone agreed to move the event to February, when the heat wasn't as intense. Suddenly Melina Shoots up in her seat, pointing up ahead.  Katie follows Melina's finger to see Flags wiping in the desert wind, They were HERE! Han's car puts its blinker on signalling he was pulling over to the right and Katie follows noting that the others were already there. She sees Dom Leaning against his car and bother her and Melina quickly jump out, as the others get out of their cars at a slower rate.


"What's up why are we pulling over?" Katie asks jogging over to Dom. He waits until the others are gathered before speaking.


 "OK guys I want Katie to be driving after Lisa when we pull in,Bryan is that OK?" He asks. Byran nods. "OK good, now when we get there Katie follow close behind Lisa, We have to get to our RV first before we get racing. After that Han will be able to direct you to where the drifters are." He says looking at Katie. She grins at him.


"Why do you want me behind Lisa?" She asks Dom laughs and gives her a smile.


"You're representing us kid, as our daughter, gotta have you up here with us." He says pulling her in for a noogy. She squeals and bats his hand away. Bryan claps her on the back before wandering over to his car, Mia just gives her a thumbs up and follows him. Dom and Lisa jump into their cars and wait as Katie and Melina drive in behind Lisa, taking Byran's spot. Once everyone was in position Dom takes up the lead again and speeds off down the road to Race wars. Melina looks over at Katie


"Hey you OK?" She asks softly. Katie looks at her from the corner of her eye before turning her Bright green gaze back to the road, Race Wars getting larger up head.


"Hell yeah!" She responds. She revs her engine making Bryan rev his behind her. She laughs, rolls down her window and waves at him, making him rev it again. Before she knows it the entrance to the Grounds is right up ahead, and as if on cue the Five cars split into formation, Dom at the front with Lisa and Katie slightly behind, Lisa on his right Katie on his left, Brian and Han taking up the rear. Being that it is Melina's first time EVER going to This her mouth is dropped wide open as she takes in everything around her. Katie snickers at her. She has been here once or twice with the family before when she was younger so the overwhelming shock didn't affect her as much. But the excitement that is thick in the air seeps into her. She will never get tired of coming here. Melina squeals with shock as the crowds part for Dom and the family, some people wooting and hollering when they recognize the car and it's driver. Some pound on the tops of Lisa and Byran's cars as a way of saying welcome, A few give Han smile. Most peer into Katie's car, confusion on their faces when they don't recognize her. She just smiles back at them. Finally the family makes their way to their RV that Dom and Bryan had driven out here a few days ago. Katie kills the engine and her and Melina share a look before both jumping out of the car, waiting for the others and waiting for Dom to unlock the RV.


"Finally, Now move out of the way I have to pee." Mia says from Behind Katie and gently pushes her out of the way and beelines it to the small restroom. Bryan follows his wife shaking his head with a smirk


"And this is why you should have gone BEFORE we left." He calls to her as she slam the door.


'I did! and I went at the gas station!" her voice distorted through the closed door. Katie looks at Bryan, then at the door, then back at Bryan a huge grin on her face making Bryan suddenly wary.


"Why do you look like you have a very evil Secret?" He asks her. Before she can say anything Mia opens the door, and makes eye contact with her Niece, shutting her up. Katie looks at Bryan and shrugs.


"Nothing." she says and plops down on the worn couch, dust floating up into her face making her cough. Han, Melina, Lisa and Dom enter and Dom quickly goes over to the Air conditioning, turning it on. Han plops down next to Katie and snakes his arm around her waist drawing her closer. Bryan sits down across from the Couple and pulls his wife on his Lap Lisa leans against Dom as he leans against the wall.


"Alright guys, Han do you have enough money to cover you and Katie for races? Good, Melina you can follow Them I'm sure you'd rather watch their races." Dom says. the others lean forward and they all discuss what the plan for the day is. When they finally agree on something everyone but Mia heads out, she opting to stay in the RV for the first part of the day since she wasn't feeling very well, Katie snickers at her but keeps her mouth shut when she receives a glare. Stepping out of the RV the faint February heat brushes against her skin making her smile up at the sky. It was the Perfect day to drift completely the opposite of yesterday,  thinking back to yesterday she shivers

involuntary. She had almost let this day slip through her fingers, in fact she almost let her life slip through her fingers. Han had been right, Twinkie wouldn't want her to hide away from the world because the pain of losing him is to hard to bare. He would want her to embrace the pain and live her life to the fullest, for both of them. And that's just what she was going to do.


"Hey angel you ready?" Han's Deep smooth voice says as he slips his arms around her waist. She looks over her shoulder at him and gives him a dazzling smile. Lifting up on her tip toes she gives him a brief kiss before nodding her head.


"Lets Drift!"


 

 

***************

 

 "What the Hell, She's A CHICK!" The kid says, his Spanish accent very pronounced. Katie crosses her arms in front of her chest and glares at him as he completely disregards her. The boy is around her age, maybe a few years older with a bright green Mohawk and so much metal in his face she desperately wishes she had a magnet. The guy looks more like a skater then a drifter. " I said I wanted Competition, not wannabes" he says once again dismissing her driving. She flicks her gaze to Han and sees his hands clenched into fists at his side and knows that he is trying to hold onto his anger. Before he can open his mouth to say something she steps up. Looking at the guy she gives him a once over before flicking her gaze to his car, it isn't really that impressive, it ks a black and silver Nissan skyline that looks like it has seen better days. She knew Han's Mazda can smoke that car in a heart beat. She looks back at its Driver and gives him a  cold little smile.


"Han, He's not worth it, plus look at his car, it looks like its about to fall apart any minute, I would hate to be responsible for his car to blow because he was trying to hard to keep up with me." She scoffs. Melina who is standing next to Han spits  out her drink because she is laughing so hard. Han's hand relaxes as the smile she loves so much creeps onto his face. He gives the younger boys car a glance before flicking his dark eyes back to him nodding his head.


"I think you're right Katie, Come on, lets get a real racer. someone worthy enough to drive against you." He says turning to Katie, taking her hand and starting to weave his way through the crowds. But before he can go anywhere the guy grabs his arm and whips him around to face him, getting up in his face.


"Listen here a*****e, you and your little b***h have no idea who you are messing with, I'm the best around here." He says, spitting on the ground. Melina makes a disgusted noise and mutters something about poor manners. Han keeps his cool and just smiles at him.


"Listen here little boy, I don't believe you know who YOU are talking to. The name is Han." He says sticking his hand out. His smirk widens when he sees the younger man's face pale at his name. The three years that Katie had been in Tokyo Han had come to Race Wars with Dom and the others, Making a name for himself by actually creating a drifting section. "That's right THE Han as in the reason why you can even Drift here at Race Wars. and her." He nods his head to Katie who just feigns disinterest by Yawning. "This is Katie, Dom and Lisa's Daughter, I assume you are smart enough to know who THEY are, or am I giving you to much credit?" The guy opens his mouth to speak but nothing comes out, his mouth just gapes open and it takes everything Katie has not to burst out laughing. Melina on the other had has no such control.


"Han I think you scared the piss outa him, poor little boy." She taunts. "Katie baby if he's this frightened off the road, I don't feel comfortable with you racing him. come on lets go." The young boys face turns an ugly shade of red beneath all the metal, his gray eyes flashing with anger at Melina's words.


"Are you calling my a coward b***h?" He hisses. Melina gives him her cruelest smile, her piercing blue eyes glaring. The man turns to Katie. "Alright, you want to drift against me then fine, lets drift, but when I win, which is a guarantee, don't go crying when I say I told you so." he spits and with that he turns on his heels and heads for his car, screaming at his posse in Spanish as they get ready to drift. Katie just glares at the back of his head before turning to look at her own Posse, Han smirking and Melina trying so hard not to laugh.


"Come on guys." She says and heads for the Mazda. The others follow and when she gets in Han leans into the window.


"I'd say good luck but you don't need it. I love you." He says and leans in farther to give her a swift kiss for luck. She smiles up and him and starts the car, everyone around moving out of her way. When Han safely retreats from the window she rolls it up and drives over to the start line where the young punk was already waiting. A few people in the crowd notices Han and recognizes him. Katie watches as they rush over to him and seem to beg him for something making him Smile and nod his head. He walks out in front of their cars and she grins, He was going to start them off. She Revs her engine at him making him grin. Han looks at Katie then at the other driver before raising his voice.


"I Want a  Clean Race here." He shouts his words meant for the punk who just revs his engine again. "READY..... SET..." He Lifts his hands then Drops them "GO!" He holds very still as Katie and the guy shoot past him, the air from their cars buffering him and making his hair fly into his face. "Good Luck angel." He whispers as he spins around to watch her speed off.


The Mazda Shoots forward the engine purring as the wheel vibrates under her hands. The punk gets a two second jump on her and his Skyline zooms ahead of her. She curses, she can almost hear the punk laughing with an ego boost. She grips the wheel and presses down on the gas ushering the Mazda to go faster, laughing when it listens to her and easily zips past the skyline. "Take that" she thinks as the first turn looms up ahead, timing it just right she yanks on the E Break Turning the wheel with the drift, gliding perfectly around the turn. By Taking the turn first She manages to seal the deal on first place, the punk's skyline falling faster behind in her rear view mirror. The Next turn comes up and for a split second her stomach drops as she sees the wall that hugs the turn, 'F**k' she thinks as she prepares herself. The turn comes closer and again she times it just right, her bumper mere inches from scraping the wall. YES! she cheers in her mind.  Han Watches with anxiety as Katie takes the lead, wincing only slightly as her car comes inches away from crashing against the wall.


"She's amazing! Shawn taught her well." Melina says with awe in her voice. Han looks over to Melina and grins nodding his agreement. He flicks his eyes back to the race just in time to see Katie and the Punk cross the finish line, Katie crossing minutes before the punk, it wasn't even a close call, Katie Won. The crowd around them cheer their approval, their voices growing loud with excitement. The stupid proud grin wont leave his face as he watches her drive slowly back over to them, the crowd parting for her, some wrapping their knuckles on the hood, the truck, anywhere showing their congratulations. Katie stops the Mazda a few inches away from Han and Melina, her face split into a huge smile. By the time she gets out of the car and walks over to them, the Punk's Skyline slowly rolls to a stop next to her car. She doesn't look at him, instead she walking into Han's waiting arms and doesn't bother suppressing her sigh of happiness when he hugs her close. She looks up and him and putting her arms around his neck pulls him closer to kiss him hard.


"Congratulations angel. I knew you could do it." He whispers across her lips making her smile. She breaks out of his arms and turns to Melina, laughing when her best friends pulls her into an excited hug.


"Oh My Gosh you were Amazing! you Totally beat him!" She shouts over the roar of the crowd. Katie's grin refuses to leave her face, only dropping when she hears someone clearing their throat. She reluctantly lets go of Melina and turns around, crossing her arms and scowling at the Punk. He looks at her with clear embarrassment, a guilty look on his face. Katie feels Han's hand slipping around her waist for support and looks at him smiling before turning back to the punk. He clears his throat.


"Look I know I come off as an a*s but When I am wrong I will be the first one to Admit it. And I was wrong here, you are one hell of a drifter." He says in a rushed apologetic voice. Katie's eyes widen as her mouth forms and O, this was not what she was expecting. the guy gives her a small smile and sticks his hand out. " The name's  Mike Anderson. Can we have a due over of a first impression." He says. Katie looks over her shoulder at Han and Melina to find Han staring at Mike before flicking his gaze to her. Han gives her a quick nod, a smile breaking across his face. She turns back to Mike and takes his hand, shaking it firmly.


"Nice to meet you Mike, and you're in luck, recently I have been in a second chance kind of mood." She informs him, his shy smile returning.


"You're really good, wait you're better then good, you're amazing. Where'd you learn to Drift like that?" He asks as he goes to lean against the Mazda, only to straighten back up when he realizes what he's doing. "S**t sorry, I'm use to leaning against my own car." he says. Katie laughs, grabs Han's hand and goes over to her car, Melina follows. Han leans against the drivers side and pulls her close, as she waves off Mike.


"Nawh its cool go ahead." She tells him, watching as he tentatively leans against the back passenger side door. "And I learned a little bit from Han here, But mostly I learned when I was living in Tokyo, my brother is actually known as the Drift king down there and he taught me." She informs him with pride, her pride swelling as she sees Mike's eyes go round.


"You're Shawn Bronson's little sister? that is so cool! I follow the drift scene down there, its actually my dream to race against him one day." he says in Awe. Han Snickers

"Well Kid I taught Shawn almost everything he knows, he is a good friend of mine and I can tell you one thing, with your attitude you wont ever be able to race him. You need to show respect for him to give you the time of day." Han advises Mike. Mike opens his mouth to say something clearly snarky but Han gives him one look and he shuts his mouth and nods, a blush creeping across his cheeks.


"Yeah I know, I gotta work on that, my Boyfriend is always telling me that." He says Making Melina Gasp. Katie and Melina share a look, matching grins on their faces. Katie turns back to him and peppers him with questions, where he learned how long he's been drifting, friendly conversations. Soon Others join in and Katie is challenged to three more races, each one she wins, Han, Melina and Mike Cheering her on every time.


 

***************

 

Katie flops onto the dusty couch in the RV, exhaustion taking hold as her eyelids flutter close. She grunts when she feels Melina squeeze in next to her sighing with her own exhaustion.


"My My you two look a little worse for wear." Mia says coming out of the small bathroom. Katie opens her eyes a crack to glare at her aunt, only to struggle to a semi sitting position on her elbows.


"I could say the same for you, are you OK?" She asks with concern as she takes in her Aunts appearance. Mia is Pale, her soft brown eyes seeming to sink in with bags under them, her skin pale when normally smoothless tan. Mia shakes her head and heads for the small mini fridge, grabbing a water bottle. She doesn't speak until she has opened the overhead cabinet and grabs two aspirin tablets, swallowing them with a swig from her water.


"No I have a killer headache and I'm nauseous. I think I have the Flu.' She says going over to lay down on the other ratty couch. Katie looks over at Melina to see her smirking, a matching one on her own face. Mia looks over at them and her eyes narrow. "Why do you look like you have an evil secret?" She asks. Katie just grins wider.


"I don't think its the flu Mia." She says trying not to laugh. Mia's already pale face pales more, something Katie didn't think was possible. "Mia?" She asks getting up to go over to her Aunt. "Mia what's wrong?" She asks with Alarm.


"I Can't possibly be? it's too soon, what if-" her sentience breaks as tears fall down her face, "What if Bryan doesn't want kids?" She asks. Katie waves her off.


"Don't be silly, Bryan will be the best father in the world." Katie exclaims. Melina Nods her head in agreement.


"How do you know?"


"Because Dom and I will be there to kick his a*s if he isn't." She replies. Mia just laughs and gathers her Niece into a hug as the others come bursting in, All laughing about Lisa's last race. Mia looks at Katie and Melina and puts her hand to her lips in a "shh' Motion mouthing 'I'll tell him later' The girls nod and turn their attention back to the group. Lisa Snickering at something Dom said.  "What's so funny? Hey baby." She says as Han slips from behind them, grabbing her by the waist to have her sit in his lap. Melina giggles and scoots over so they can sit next to her, Bryan sitting next to Mia and Dom and Lisa standing up. Lisa just beams at her Daughter.


"Never mind whats funny, I heard you beat Mike Santos, Hunter Reyes, AND  Andrea Cook is that true?" She asks naming off Three of the Racers she raced against. She nods, noticing Brilliant pride entering Dom's eyes.


"There was another guy but I can't remember his name. Why are those three important here?" She asks. Bryan laughs and brings his hand up for a high five. Katie high fives him with joy.


"Those three are some of the best racers here other then myself and these two." Dom says nodding to Bryan and Lisa, "And you smoked all three of them. I'm proud of you Katie." He says, his pride still shinning. Katie just ducks her head, her cheeks flaming at his praise. Han tightens his grip around her waist and kisses her on the cheek.


"I always Knew she could do it. She's the best drifter out there, even better then me." Han says making Katie stare at him, her eyes wide. She has never actually Raced against him but suddenly with an insistent urge she wanted to. She looks at him with a small smile creeping on her face. Han looks at his girlfriend and gulps for he knows the glint in her Bright eyes. She wanted to race against him. Everyone around them laughs for they too knew what she is thinking. He sags against the couch in defeat. "When?" is all he has to say to make her scramble off his lap and out the door, making everyone burst out laughing.


"Now." She says. Han slowly gets up and follows her out, the rest of the family following behind. Twenty minutes later Katie and Han are reeving their engines, waiting for Melina to see them off. While waiting Katie quickly slips something out of her back pocket and sticks the little Hulk Figurine on the Mazda's dashboard. This is for you Twinkie. She thinks, Slamming on the gas as Melina screams GO!

 



© 2015 Fenix Flight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on July 20, 2015
Last Updated on July 20, 2015

Forbidden love


Author

Fenix Flight
Fenix Flight

Kingdom Of Amythest, ME



About
Please Call me Fenix (Fen-nicks) (The FEN is pronouced the same way you would pronouce the FEN in Fenway) its more my name then the one I was given at birth. I wont put my life story here. You will se.. more..

Writing