Obscurity

Obscurity

A Story by Chris Willits
"

An idea that I'm working on that might be it's own story or may be involved with my other story.

"

 

 

 

“Awake.”

The tingling sensation of sunlight across the skin covered his face. At first he wanted to turn over and bury his head in a pillow. But he wasn’t in a bed. He had never been in one. Slowly and hesitantly he opened his eyes. All around him was darkness except from where the voice had come. It was that man again. He couldn’t remember what his name was or where he had seen him before but he knew he recognized the man. Past memories flashed through his brain of past battles and journeys. Memories of the loss of his family and friends. He remembered his name: William Smithson. William recalled exactly how his wife had died at the hands of the very government he had worked for. Then they killed his son. William exacted revenge on his government killing them all and bringing them to ruin. He brought about a collapse to the world he had lived in setting his people back in time without electricity and technology. It was if he had erased the very past altogether. For awhile cars lasted and guns were around but even that disappeared into the sands of time.

But that was many years ago. He had gone many other journeys since then. He worked at times for hire and at other times because he felt compelled. He killed many people learning to survive by instinct and blade. Then when it seemed he was about to meet his doom as he was sent flying off a cliff by a back-stabbing man who had posed as his friend, time had stopped. A man in a black business suit from the old world came before William while they were still in mid-air. The man had made a proposition to William, that he would let him live as long as William would do some jobs for him.

It seemed like it had been so long since that encounter as if time itself was the weight in his body. How many years had he been in this place? What year was it?

“I have a job for you William.” The man exclaimed as he came into view from the brilliant light shining behind him. He still had the black business suit. His hair sleeked back and a tight grin on his face.

“How long have I been here? Where am I?”

“William you were a spectacular warrior in your time with gun and sword. But now your world and its people are at jeopardy. An ancient evil long since hidden from humanity is about to be unleashed.

I need you to protect someone to ensure that this person answers his calling and fulfills what he was destined to do.”

“Answer me how long have I been here? What year is it?”

“You have been here for over two billion years.”

“What!?”

“Civilization has fallen to ruin many times in the years you have been away. But now there is a chance of humanity being totally eradicated and this cannot happen.”

“Why should I? Nothing of my time exists, no one that I knew.”

“Everyone that you knew in your time died before I took you. Even the man who betrayed you to the cliffs was killed shortly afterward. Why should that matter? I am giving you the chance to live again. To feel the wind and to see trees, to eat and drink.”

William thought for a moment. It would be good to feel the wind again. To feel the sunshine across his face. To bathe in hot water. To feel a woman’s touch.

“Tell what it is that I must do.”

“I need you to protect a woman. The man who loves her is searching for her. If he were to find her dead it would break his spirit and we would lose the battle to ensuring humanity’s survival.”

“Where can I find her? She will be in a very large prison. You will see soon enough.”

The man turned around then and began to walk away and he suddenly disappeared into the light that he had come from. Then the light expanded enveloping William and his surroundings. William looked up and he could feel the sweet rush of air and smell of fresh trees rushed into him. The light subsided finally and William stared across a lush field and a distant mountain in the distance. William looked around at all the grass and the trees and then he saw an ugly pale brick building. And he knew instantly where he was. His mission was laid out before him. And he took his first step.

© 2008 Chris Willits


Author's Note

Chris Willits
whatever

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not whatever. I'd like to see the next part of this story. Making a deal with the devil is always risky business and I see this is what your character has done. He chose vanity. He also has some unfinished business to take care of from his past. Let's see how it turns out. Nice write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a compelling tale. Fantastical yet real at the same time. I would that you had written more - please continue with this if you have the notion - I would love to read more of it and find out how things progress. The notion of being stopped at the moment of dying and being given a choice is unique and interesting. Billions of years have passed - how amazing. A fantastic write. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 21, 2008
Last Updated on August 22, 2008

Author

Chris Willits
Chris Willits

Portland, OR



About
I love fantasy books. I love the Final Fantasy series. I like Akira Kurosawa movies. I love rock and roll especially Led Zeppelin. I won't be on here very long if I am ever on it because I am in the m.. more..

Writing
Confusion Confusion

A Chapter by Chris Willits