One Good Deed

One Good Deed

A Story by Chris Willits
"

It has a lot to do with fighting and war... I guess that would be expected right. An karma.

"

 

David watched his follower with great interest. Whoever this person he was, was quite good at what he did. He just wasn’t as good as David was. His follower had been following ever since the fight David had on top of Deacon’s Hill. David knew that whoever was following him hadn't been in the fight had killed every combatant that went against him. So David came to the conclusion that he must have been following the group of smugglers that David killed. That was something that David despised, people who smuggled the poor into becoming slaves. His mother had been put into slavery and eventually died from food deprivation. David couldn’t control himself and went to the smugglers to pick a fight when he saw them man-handling a young woman. David tried to insult them into fighting him to save the girls life and free her. But in their anger towards David they killed the young woman which sent David into a frenzy and he attacked the nearest one. The next thing he knew the three men were slain before him and there was blood on his hands.

David didn’t care to bury the smugglers bodies but before departing the disgraceful scene David buried the young woman and crest of the hill. David fell into a trance that night over the thoughts of the young woman sparking old memories of his mother and her death at the hands of the man who had been called ‘Death’s Rider’. Three years later after seeking revenge against the man who killed his mother David learned that he died in a large battle to the west in some place he had never heard of before. David had been lost since then without a purpose or a cause to guide him wherever he went. He would take jobs to assassinate people, but only if they paid well. And after awhile he earned himself a reputation but he needed no false nickname and went by his real name. His prices soon went up and his reputation became very profitable.

For years David had been hiring as an assassin, as a mercenary. He killed so often that he became apathetic to it and the world and cared nothing for the people in it. But he was growing tired of being an assassin. Then one day he met a General named Denon who sympathized with David and his quest for glory and to meet an opponent skilled as him on the battlefield. General Denon placed him on the warfront in charge of a small unit. He then felt more human than he had felt in a long time experiencing in the friendship and the camaraderie of the men he fought alongside. But then in his final fight with this large army he saw unspeakable acts of mutilation and deprived crimes committed by General Denon and his personal soldiers that Denon turned his back on his new friends and changed paths.

He learned of a new group of rebels who fought for the nearby country Renada’s defense. With a new leader poised to stop the kingdom of Yuris’s grotesque rituals and crimes. David felt that the least he could do was listen to see what this leader had to say. So he set forth on a path towards Renada. And then while he was traveling to Renada he came to Deacon’s Hill and came across the smugglers.

But this follower was annoying David. And was no longer going to stand his presence any longer. David stopped in the small dirt path amidst the lively forest surrounding him.

“Come out from where you’re hiding! I know you’re there, there’s no use hiding any longer!”

Nothing happened not a single sound was made. David yelled once more but still no response or movement. David was becoming lazy because he gave up and continued his trek.

Another day passed as David traveled. As he came to the bottom of a wide hill the sounds of a nearby battle ensuing. David did not run to the top of the hill but he did walk a little faster. When David came to the top of the hill he saw probably the largest battle he had ever seen. There was the black armored soldiers of the royal army of Yuris on one side. On the opposite was some other force he had never seen before. David began to walk closer to the battle and eventually saw the opposing forces flag. It was the flag of the rumored rebels that David happened to be traveling to. David saw this as a chance to get on good terms with the rebels and get his chance to meet the rebel leader. He would join the battle.

David went towards the battle a slow jog at first. For a few minutes no one noticed David until he unsheathed his blade holding it high in the sky. Soon there was murmurs of surprise rising up through both sides. And then David broke out into a fierce run and slammed into a Yuris soldier knocking him to the ground and cleaving his broadsword into the chest of the next one. David worked his way through the soldiers bringing many down at the edge of his sword.

The battle was beginning to turn towards the rebels side when it seemed to abruptly stop. Words were yelled across the battlefield but David did not hear them or recognize them. He brought one more soldier down when the words being yelled rushed into him.

“Stop! Stop or you will be the next one to die! Wait who is that? I recognize you.”

Now both forces had their attention focused on David but he did not speak a word. He would not give away his identity intentionally. The man who had spoken was next to a small hunchbacked mountain appearing on the battlefield like a large pimple on the side of a young mans face. He had in front of him a young woman a knife to her throat.

“I know you, you are that man David Helsgard. You fought in the battle of Remodu Vas against the kingdom of Thren. You were picked by General Denon himself to fight for us and now you turn your back on us. Traitor!”

“I will not find myself working with the likes of murderers and freaks! That is one thing that I will do!” David yelled back.

“Shut your mouth coward you will be taken care of shortly.” The man yelled just as madly back.

“Now where was I? Oh yes dear pretend General Vurgis of this pathetic group of rebels if you don’t surrender your forces now I will kill her here where we stand!”

Out of the number of rebels on the opposite side a enigmatic figure rose from somewhere on the ground to a white stallion covered in large pieces of armor.

“Why should I trust your word Commander Wartul? When so many times I have arranged peace gatherings and you sent your men to kill me.”

“You were dishonest yourself general you were never there. Enough nonsense I will do it. Now general do as I say!”

David was growing tried of this disgusting scene. This officer was about to commit murder on someone without a weapon. Was he that much of a coward? How despicable and towards a woman at that.

“No!!” a young man in close proximity of David yelled concern encompassing his face.

“Is this not your woman Vurgis? Is this woman the woman of your infamous warrior Leon that I’ve heard so much about well maybe then it will be even more delightful to hear her die!”

David was having enough of this debacle. Slowly he edged his way through the ranks trying as hard as he could not to catch the attention of the men around him.

Then Commander Wartul through the girl down on the ground and motioned a soldier over to him.

“On my word cut her head off.”

“No damn it!!” the man who had been called Leon yelled out.

Commander Wartul stepped back and David saw his opening. He grabbed the spear in the hand of a nearby dead soldier on the ground.

“No surrender fine then. Do it cut her head off.”

David hefted the spear up and quickly decided to save the woman’s life and threw the spear into the chest of the man who was about to cleave the woman’s head off. The man fell back immediately into Commander Wartul behind him knocking him over. Shock seemed to effect everyone because no one made a move.

“Damn it! Woman run! Run like your life depended on it.” And then David swung at the soldier next to him. The woman just as she was instructed to do got to her feet took the dead executioners sword and stabbed Commander Wartul as he began to rise and continued to fight. The battle continued but already the battle was won.

 

After the battle was won David met the man Leon and David was promptly thanked. David left the rebels to wash his blade in the river the came from the north side of the battle. The sounds of joy and excitement could be heard all around as the men celebrated the battle they had won. David even felt ecstatic a feeling he rarely had shown in his life. David turned to look back towards the men several hundred yards off and then was struck in the back. Sharp pain cut into his back and David sagged to his left knee. Desperately he tried to hold himself steady to stay alive. He wanted to scream but he could not find his voice. He turned around falling to the ground looking up at the night sky and all the stars in the sky. He wasn’t supposed to die like this. Where was the glory? Where was this great opponent he was destined to face?

His vision began to blur when a figure rose above him.

“David Helsgard you killed my father five years ago. I have trained for a long time to see this moment.” It was a woman’s voice. A sweet young woman’s voice.

“It was a good thing you did out there today. You saved that woman’s life. But I can not forgive you.”

“I am Miriel and I have finally taken your life.” How strange that how David had never killed any women throughout his life that he would be killed by one.

“I’m…sorry.” David spurted out the words before his last breath gave out.

© 2008 Chris Willits


Author's Note

Chris Willits
I had fun writing this to be honest. More fun then I've had in awhile.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow that was a twist of fate, yes?

His follower had been following (had been following) him ever since the fight David had on top of Deacon's Hill. ~ you might want to remove that, just a double type, no biggy.

There are a few other little odds n ends, but nothing major. I'm glad you had fun writing because I am sure that come under some major stress. Writing would help that, I'm sure. Good for you!



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well-written story, if I say so myself. I enjoyed the telling very much. You made the characters very believable, and David had a superb back story. You enjoyed writing it? I enjoyed reading it. Good job Marine.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow that was a twist of fate, yes?

His follower had been following (had been following) him ever since the fight David had on top of Deacon's Hill. ~ you might want to remove that, just a double type, no biggy.

There are a few other little odds n ends, but nothing major. I'm glad you had fun writing because I am sure that come under some major stress. Writing would help that, I'm sure. Good for you!



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2008
Last Updated on August 27, 2008

Author

Chris Willits
Chris Willits

Portland, OR



About
I love fantasy books. I love the Final Fantasy series. I like Akira Kurosawa movies. I love rock and roll especially Led Zeppelin. I won't be on here very long if I am ever on it because I am in the m.. more..

Writing
Confusion Confusion

A Chapter by Chris Willits



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..