The De-exploitation of the music industry

The De-exploitation of the music industry

A Story by Frank G. Myers Jr
"

This is just an editorial I wrote expressing my feelings towards today music industry!!

"

The date was October 25, 2010. I was standing in a crowd of anywhere from 50 to 150 music fans. The show was at Garfield Artworks in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The headlining band was Teenage Bottlerocket and the fans were full of adrenaline and in some cases alcohol. As I stood there through the first 5 band leading up to Teenage Bottlerocket wearing my Johnie 3 t-shirt, I was approached by a number of people whom commented on my shirt and mentioned that they too were Johnie 3 fans. I held a short and friendly conversation with each one. It was the world of music bringing together people whom otherwise would of passed right by each other. It was  a small community of music (punk rock) fans.
   I have been to many shows with this same setting, sometimes just less bodies in the crowd. Regardless, every show seems to have a similar crowd present, a group of differing individuals whom come together in their love of music. Small venues with moderately famous bands who play for their love of music and the thrill of doing what they love to earn a few bucks along the way. At most of these shows it is not unusual to members of bands not currently on stage out in the crowd enjoying the music and holding conversation with the fans. They just try and blend right in with the people, because at the end of the day they are nothing more than music fans and everyday people.  I find these small shows to be some of the best entertainment I’ve had at a concert. The price is low, the music is loud, and the good times keep on rolling.
   I myself became familiar with the local bar shows attending Johnie 3 concerts. Johnie 3 is a punk band from Youngstown, Ohio. They are made up of Jay on vocals, Myke on bass and Casey on drums. Three down to earth guys with a talent and great love for the music. These three guys put on an amazing show every time you see them, whether there are 50 people in the crowd or 5 people in the crowd. They often tour oversees in Europe where they have a very favorable following. Sometimes playing with a band called the Dee Cracks, whom as well is a group of three guys who have a great talent and love for music.
   Have you ever been to a Metallica concert in which before their set James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich came down and watched the opening band from in the crowd with the fans? How about a Nickelback concert where one them came and talked to you as if you were his equal? I’m guessing not, and what a shame seeing you probably gave up half a paycheck or better for tickets!! You just can’t get the same friendly environment at a giant media infested show. It is all about the money, and a lot less about the fans. Not that they don’t appreciate their fans, it’s just a different arena of standards. As a huge music fan, I just feel more at home in a bar or some art gallery watching bands play for the joy of what they are doing then I would watching a band in a giant stadium play because it’s their job to do so.
   Maybe I’m alone on this, and if so then whatever. I am just saying that atmosphere of a small local show feels more like home to the music fan in me. I enjoy speaking and joking with the band and knowing that they share the same passion for their music as I do. It is comforting in a way to know that some average guy is able to be a rock star and at the same time still connect with the reality of the real world.  So, next time you’re sitting at your house bored, get online and find a local band who is playing a bar or something in your area and go check them out. You never know, maybe that show will restore your faith in the music after being force fed the popular music radio D.J.’s throw at you on a daily basis!

 

© 2010 Frank G. Myers Jr


Author's Note

Frank G. Myers Jr
" If you feel the same way as I than congrats on finally being fed up with the nonsense society pushes on you"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on October 27, 2010
Last Updated on October 27, 2010

Author

Frank G. Myers Jr
Frank G. Myers Jr

Youngstown, OH



About
I am 23. Live in Youngstown, Ohio. I started writing poetry in the 5th grade when forced to do so for english class. Wrote a random poem that was surprisingly published. I then began reading Poe and b.. more..

Writing