The Lovers Sign

The Lovers Sign

A Story by Richard McLin
"

A couple decide to go for a walk, and discover what they truly have.

"
I could feel the chill in the air. I looked over to her as the goosebumps made themselves apparent. I removed my jacket and placed it over her shoulders. Having just left the restaurant we decided to take a little walk before going home. She looked over to me with a sly little smile as my jacket kept the cold at bay.
“Smells like you.” she told me.
I had no reply to this except a laugh and placing my arm over her shoulder. The night was clear and the stars were showing off just for us. The sidewalk not crowded and the cars themselves were on mute. It was beginning to feel as if the whole world had put itself on hold just for us to enjoy this moment. 
As we walked she slowly eased closer to me till she was able to place her head on my shoulder as we walked. Her fingers interlaced with mine, and mine squeezed her back. The smell of her fruit shampoo wandered to my nose, a smell that was both familiar, and sensual at the same time. I just looked down at the top of her head, and kissed it. At that moment I could feel it inside, and it was all love. A feeling of overwhelming and terrifying love. Now don't take terrifying in the sense of movie monsters coming to my head, but instead think of it as something you never thought you could experience, or thought you should.
“Can we sit, and look at the stars for a minute?” I asked her.
“Yes.”
We found a near by park bench that was only seventy-five percent covered in racist graffiti and sat down. She sat in relaxed pose and closed the jacket around her. I did the same laying my arms out stretched, and she used the right as a pillow. We looked at each other for either five minutes or forever, either wasn't long enough, and then in unison looked up at the stars. That's when I discovered the show they were putting on for us. 
“They are so beautiful.” She whispered.
At first not understanding why she was whispering since it was only us I was about to ask, but then it hit me. This was something many people look for, but many never experience, and that is the perfect moment. I was with the woman I loved, in the city I loved, at night watching the stars.
“You see that one right there?” I asked pointing to a random group of stars
“Yes.” She replied
“That one is called the lovers sign. It's said that they are two lovers who gave up everything to be together forever, and for this the gods let them, and so there they are in the sky, forever holding each other.”
She looked up to where I was pointing, looked over at me and kissed me twice on the cheek. The first was a small peck, but the second one lasted much longer, and somehow felt sweeter.
“Honey, I love you very much, but that's complete bullshit.”
  She told me all this, while never losing eye contact. Her beautiful eyes just kept staring into mine. How could I live without this woman? Why would I want to? I then looked back up to the sky, and said the only thing I could.
“Well then, that's where they will put us.”

THE END..

Richard McLin @2012.

© 2012 Richard McLin


Author's Note

Richard McLin
Probably the most romantic thing I have ever written. I hope you all enjoy it. Inspired by the song, "Eyes by Rogue Wave" listen to it, it's a great song.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful - taking me to the place where you were I saw her lying on his lap looking up at the stars- oh that feeling when u just want time to stop so you never have to leave the person by your side - wonderful and yes I believe in the lovers sign- you cannot doubt what you aren’t sure of and it all started in the stars- never stop trusting and believing you open a way for places beyond time and thought-great poem🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much. Much of my work is dark or somewhat violent, and this was one of my first foray.. read more
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

6 Years Ago

Very nice and my pleasure🌹



Reviews

Only 75% covered in racist graffiti. Love it! How much more can one say that hasn't already been said? Your character development is perfect - a difficult thing to do in such a short write. Very well done. I have come to look forward to your requests in my inbox.

Posted 5 Years Ago


pretty good romantic stuff. very realistic & relaxing write, like i was there. you have an easy-going style that is matter-of-fact but quite effective at setting a scene. very enjoyable and laid-back ...

“Honey, I love you very much, but that's complete bullshit.” - great line

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
good vivid descriptions and you enticed the reader in to feel the love the two were sharing, and then boom! the twist. Well done Richard.
Will

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thank you, much appreciated.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
" It was beginning to feel as if the whole world had put itself on hold just for us to enjoy this moment." This line is my forever mood. I cant wait to read more.

:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful - taking me to the place where you were I saw her lying on his lap looking up at the stars- oh that feeling when u just want time to stop so you never have to leave the person by your side - wonderful and yes I believe in the lovers sign- you cannot doubt what you aren’t sure of and it all started in the stars- never stop trusting and believing you open a way for places beyond time and thought-great poem🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much. Much of my work is dark or somewhat violent, and this was one of my first foray.. read more
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

6 Years Ago

Very nice and my pleasure🌹
This is so beautiful. Definitely romantic ans damn sweet ,,, The shyness , The laughter all the small elements were so beautiful.. and the best one was the stars... Great write. well done

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thank you.
Wow, my friend, "what bullshit", haha... Transported me into the moment, filled it with heavy gravity, and then released the pressure with wit... Romantically penned...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thank you. It's a piece I'm very proud of, and my most read piece at over 1,000 views. I'm so glad y.. read more
Chase Dylan

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome, I loved it... It def' has a lot of views!
Wow! this was truly amazing and I could feel so much love in this writing. I think this is something that should be published. I loved the little story you told about the two stars being lovers and when she said that you were bullshitting, that's where we will be :) That was just great.

You have done a terrific job on this story and I fell in love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

At your request I have read this story. Aww richard! Its beautiful. Short and simple but full of emotion. This might sound odd, but I could imagine it being a short film sequence for a movie trailer or add campaign. Anyway, the style and flow suites the subject matter and i love the injection of humor from the female character. It made me smile. The only typos i spotted were in this sentence. Ive added and 'a' and changed position of the commas. "She sat in a relaxed pose and closed the jacket around her. I did the same, laying my arms out stretched and she used the right as a pillow."
Apart from that a gorgeous piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Richard McLin

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it. It's been a while since I've been so proud of a piece of writing, but this on.. read more
Hester Vane

11 Years Ago

Random question. Would you mind if i posted this or a link to this on my blog. I am trying to get mo.. read more
Richard McLin

11 Years Ago

No feel free, would like more people to read this, and get Writers cafe more exposure. Let me know w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1511 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 5, 2012
Last Updated on November 5, 2012
Tags: love, romance, walk, walking, stars, eyes, kiss, holding

Author

Richard McLin
Richard McLin

Salem, OR



About
I have been writing ever since I can remember. I can't live and not write, it's as essential as breath. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..