Dark Shadows

Dark Shadows

A Poem by Frieda P

All you see 
is the shadow that I cast, 
not the true likes of me
      I walked you through 
my untimely history
     so you could witness clearly,
        your silence speaks volumes
   do you really want to know me?

You burrowed your way
  into the warm recesses of my bosom
yet, I know you only hunger
 the flesh and blood of me
   my psyche is more than you could digest
   yet, when you trace my tears,
 you entrance me to overtake the night

     In the naked light of day,
           glimpses that this could never be
I know just what you're thinking,
    my twists in and out of sanity
                 would drive you to the brink
acceptance and unconditional
            are not part of our analogy

   I bask in the tenderness of the moment
 knowing  full well,
      you don't want to play for love
 this boulevard of empty promises 
                    will soon find an ending


© 2013 Frieda P


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's wrong to judge a book by its cover, but I'm afraid it's a crime we're all guilty of. Although it's excusable from both ends of the situation. It's a grey area kind of thing. Sometimes we actually let our guards down, trusting we've found someone who will actually understand what's going on underneath the surface.

"Do you really want to know me?" I love that line. It has serious impact on the entire stanza, contradicting everything you just said. It raises a feeling of doom, realizing a bit too late that you've already undressed your soul in front of him, before even asking if he wanted to see all of your broken pieces in the first place.

Letting people in almost always leads to disappointment. And nearly everyone's guilty of that crime too. You trust someone, and every time he touches you, he heals you, sometimes without even realizing just how much he means to you. Then he throws it away, because it obviously didn't mean the same to him. And sometimes our crazy is too much for people to handle.

"This boulevard of empty promises will soon find an ending". Another excellent line. It's true.

Your poem reminds me of the song Just Give Me A Reason. Oh and by the way, all of this is what I meant by being able to relate to your poetry ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ouch...good luck with exams...hurry back :-)
Blue Ivory

10 Years Ago

Thank you :3
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

xo



Reviews

This is enough to make Barnabas Collins cry. Very heart wrenching Dear Frieda, but I believe if they get to know you they would never want to let go.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Sweet of you to say, I had to google Barnabas, ah, Dark Shadows, we must be related in some way!
How many - and how deep - the scars we expose to people we meet? I suppose it depends on our - and their needs at the time. This is an open admission that compatability varies according to need, and a very powerful piece because of it. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

That is why we usually keep our baggage nicely packed away, thanks so much for your kind words Pete... read more
It's so rare to find some one who really wants to know who you are, warts and all. With that knowledge, we have to decide, whether to settle for what we can get or hold out, in the hopes that that someone enters our lives. Rare to find, which makes it priceless.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Exactly Barbara, very rare indeed, thanks so much.
This is sad reality, I like the warmed feelings of love painted in this piece. Something reminds me of the song "Only reminds me of you" Good Job Frie.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Had to goggle that song, I see what you mean, sad tune, yet lovely. Thanks so much Marc.
Marc Marlon Villaflor

11 Years Ago

Welcome Frie :)
I relate very strongly to this one...for me, it's more about one half of me talking to the other half than one person talking to another...there is a lot of internal dialogue going on in me these days, but this piece speaks loudly and clearly to both sides...well done my dear :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

I think a lot of our dialougue is internal, perhaps one the reasons why we don't make those connecti.. read more
kublakhan27

11 Years Ago

You're very welcome :)
Hmm... I recognize the emotions expressed in this piece all too well. The person one is attracted to is also attracted, but doubts that the other has the mental stamina to endure the long term. So for now, you'll "bask in the tenderness of the moment." In the back of your mind, you know that your temporary partner will not stay the course.

What else can I say? Poetry is in your soul and I can always relate and understand the emotions that flow through your pen.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

You read me well Cyn...I look forward to your reviews, always insightful, thanks so much.
The last stanza of this was absolutely incredible...not that the rest wasn't beautiful as well, I just really felt those last lines. "Acceptance and unconditional/ are not part of our analogy"--such strong words, and so relatable. I can relate to this one, my friend! Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Sorry you can relate, but so glad you enjoyed this one, thanks Friday!
You have described your fact or fiction situation well and its all too common an occurrence of relationships, if you feel your being used, get out of course.

Well constructed and full of the emotions and anguish encountered.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Thanks for this great review leighgreen, much appreciated.
When the whole is revealed sometimes there are broken parts within. In this age of fast, shiny and new it seems there are a real shortage of good handymen about. But, they do exist. In time one will come along and with patience, love and care restore a rare find.

-smile-

I know, I am one of those optimistic "glass is half full" types. :)

This spoke volumes on frustration and sadness really. Extremely well put together.




Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Ha yes I know, I'm a realist, when the glass isn't full, that only means I drank some of it. ;-) .. read more
speechless in Asheville.....well done

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Holy Asheville, this must be a first!
quinfinn

11 Years Ago

still resonating
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

That's probably the best review ever quin...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1051 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 31, 2013
Last Updated on March 31, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


night song night song

A Poem by quinfinn


Lee Lee

A Poem by quinfinn


Going Back Going Back

A Poem by Mark