Grinding Monkey Hook

Grinding Monkey Hook

A Poem by Frieda P

what's left to believe
    when veins have been purged
your pain sticks a needle in my heart
we both bleed
 the same shade of blue
weaving in and out of obsessions hook
 cravings are possessed
 by toxic bags of kick
monkey on your back as a grave marker 
 with self fulfilling prophecy
grinding the music to a deathly tune
 that takes no prisoners 
slept with my eyes open, still 
couldn't save you from the litany that looms
last chapters pen'd in the etchings
 primal guts on tombstones written in original sin
negotiations negligible and non pending
 in contracts of self delusions
tomorrows only suffice to write the legacy, 
 an epitaph of unyielding sorrow


© 2013 Frieda P


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh Frieda,

How I cried when I read this. I felt each and every word. Even in overwhelming pain you are able to grasp those fears and bring them to life, even for the uninitiated. The future has never looked so frightening- especially since futures are so stunted when they only consist of a day at a time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I know exactly how that feels, and what you mean, seems just yesterday they were little guys falling.. read more
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

My love and hope to you, for both of us.



Reviews

hope you stop and know you are still being read my dear friend Frieda! ;) this poem is so heavy ..with no glimmer of hope ..in reading i don't want the weight of it ... but we are an empathetic group ... and fine friends .. so i take this poem to my heart today and wish you to be ever so finely well ..with peace and joy ..
Gene

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sometimes, you just can't write light into a poem, no matter if you want to. A heavy heart, grief, loss, sadness, hopelessness all encompassing. Makes me want to give the bearer of such sorrow a hug.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks KL, this is always a tough one to come back to, hug muchly appreciated.
I always love your way with words. You combine words so uniquely, bringing to life clever descriptions and ideologies that always inspire me.
"by toxic bags of kick"
"primal guts on tombstones written in original sin"
Love.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Whoa and wow, I am speechless. I think you did this to me once before...

Posted 10 Years Ago


the pain and fear for someone close to you is palpable in this dark piece. the people that we care about always carry the heaviest weight on our lives, and you've shown that very clearly here! i really like this piece :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Whoa! Frieda this was an incredible (poor word choice for the topic) description of addiction and it's effects. I have always said addiction is simply Russian roulette. Go ahead and keep playing but know at some point you will lose. This is very intimately written.

monkey on your back as a grave marker
with self fulfilling prophecy
grinding the music to a deathly tune
that takes no prisoners

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh my gosh Frieda... this is one of those poems that you can feel running through your veins as you read... The word usage and metaphor very strong.. loved it..

Posted 10 Years Ago


Quite possibly my favorite of your writes Frieda. I loved it. I oozes "blue" in many shades and its lines of tragic effect leave sad white roses boiling in a spoon, as my mind waited for another taste. Awesome.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This piece really hit home Frieda. I've yet to cry since I got my latest medical news and this piece almost did me in. Such tragic beauty in your words. The monkey on your back, marking your grave...its both a cuddly friend and a sad reminder of the inevitable. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lots of raw imagery here, but too many "of"'s. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1070 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blinky light Blinky light

A Poem by Angi