Grinding Monkey Hook

Grinding Monkey Hook

A Poem by Frieda P

what's left to believe
    when veins have been purged
your pain sticks a needle in my heart
we both bleed
 the same shade of blue
weaving in and out of obsessions hook
 cravings are possessed
 by toxic bags of kick
monkey on your back as a grave marker 
 with self fulfilling prophecy
grinding the music to a deathly tune
 that takes no prisoners 
slept with my eyes open, still 
couldn't save you from the litany that looms
last chapters pen'd in the etchings
 primal guts on tombstones written in original sin
negotiations negligible and non pending
 in contracts of self delusions
tomorrows only suffice to write the legacy, 
 an epitaph of unyielding sorrow


© 2013 Frieda P


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh Frieda,

How I cried when I read this. I felt each and every word. Even in overwhelming pain you are able to grasp those fears and bring them to life, even for the uninitiated. The future has never looked so frightening- especially since futures are so stunted when they only consist of a day at a time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I know exactly how that feels, and what you mean, seems just yesterday they were little guys falling.. read more
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

My love and hope to you, for both of us.



Reviews

beautifully written Frieda :) great great piece

Posted 10 Years Ago


I've never posted it, cuz it's old and awful, but I wrote a poem when I was younger with the same first line...I mention that only because I'm running out of ways to articulate how deeply your poems cut...we both bleed the same shade of blue...that line resonated with me...it would appear that your struggle to write anything about a week ago has subsided...you're writing amazing stuff at an amazing clip ;P

Posted 10 Years Ago


Damn. I don't even know what to say. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I have a nephew who is a heroin addict. It's a slippery slope to say the least. Damn...

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo (I gave you extra)

Posted 10 Years Ago


do you love the monkey or do you love me. there something so shattering when simians are chosen over hominids. And you cannot ever tell me "oh they didn't know what they were doing" Eff that. Its always a choice. the monkey whatever it is is always a choice and the risk is always evident. Oh but the addict has to want to help himself. Whatever. They damage themselves and they damage us and it all could have been stopped if they'd just put down the damn monkey. And I know for a fact - you can refrain from picking the furry effer up in the first place. Frieda. Its aching. Its aching to go through it. This poem speaks volumes. Loudly. So many in my life have chosen monkeys over me and it sucks. It just sucks.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Geez, your review makes me want to scream or spill monkey guts! I am so angry and hurt and exaspera.. read more
TL Boehm

10 Years Ago

whew. I kinda went off and then i hit enter and then I went OH CRAP! I can only deal with one emotio.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I posted that even before I read your apology, no need to ever apologize for your feelings, not on m.. read more
The "monsters" have no conscious.
We are victims to our past choices that place us on the "monkey hook" in the first place.
"unyielding sorrow", as cold and hard as the barbs of fired iron pointing to that past to prevent coward progress.
Great understanding and imagery. No sugar coating this pill!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Nope, this is no placebo David, it's the real deal unfortunately, thanks dear.
I see the thoughts of the person losing their potential as a toxic relationship advances, and what really entices me is your protagonist seems fully aware of their resulting turmoil, yet unwilling to terminate the poison of said relationship.
Toxic courtships always seem to entice me; every day progressing the two an inch deeper into the endless pit of misery, thus making it hard to crawl out alone..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

It's toxic alright, but hardly a courtship my friend, unless the lover is heroin.....
Like this too, the central stanzaic form, and the powerful, dramatic content.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks Leslie, always appreciate your thoughts.
Hey Frieda, the pain in this poem is so clear, how do you manage to show much emotion on a piece like this. very great write indeed, you are a good poet.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

You know when pure emotion just spills out of your gut and into your pen Cassie, this one more or le.. read more
Cassie

10 Years Ago

Yea I know when emotion flows from inside through the pen and to the paper and when that happens you.. read more
Wow! A sad and moving piece that is filled with emotion expressed honestly and clearly. No frills, no extra words. A sparse and brutal piece. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks Steve.
first off the title - i love catchy somewhat off-color titles like that - awesome.
i know from personal family experience - several relatives actually (2 of which died as a result of their abuse) just how painful a subject this is. not only does it lend to the misery of the person who is addicted but to all the pain and heartache it causes their friends and family. and the closer you are to the addict the more painful it is. it just leads them down a dark road that goes so much farther than just addiction. it makes them say and do things they never would have otherwise. lying and stealing always seem to follow in the wake - as if the using drugs wasn't enough. they hurt themselves and they hurt those closest to them. and they become even more miserable because it only takes the pain away briefly. they have to live with knowing what they have done. and to live questioning themselves. i am sorry, i am rambling. it's just a topic that can be so overwhelming. i have a piece i am working on now about the subject. i was unsure of where i was going with it so i have been laboring. this is a great poem frieda. very powerful and poignant. very graphic and dark and the imagery just stings you at the core. therapeutic to write and release some of it even though it is something you would just rather have no knowledge of whatsoever. this is real poetry. it's artfully crafted and creatively worded yes, but the harshness of the true pain resonates and gets you right where it hurts.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Overwhelming at best, if only purging it could make the demons all disappear. Thank you from my hea.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1068 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blinky light Blinky light

A Poem by Angi