Pick a posy...

Pick a posy...

A Poem by Frieda P
"

~a word on child abuse

"
pick a posy
  ~  pop a posy

break her down,
    make her cry 
 & split her crown/
  or whatever...
this is what little girls are made of,
          when they come from abuse...



One out of every three girls will be sexually assaulted by the age of 17. 
 1 out of 7 children are abused, most often by family members.
 How many do you know?  We can't afford to ignore it...

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A change to society is needed as soon as possible and this thinking coming from misogynists in power needs to stop, and more light needs to be brought to the issue in its reality. You write strongly with this piece, and the way in which you portray these women is poignant. Well done, indeed, Frieda, I admire this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading this one Tai, and for your thoughts here, muchly appreciated my friend.. read more



Reviews

Have you ever seen that commercial on television, where women keep coming and saying "I have"...sooo many women have been sexually assaulted at some point in their lives...many when they were just children. I have never understood this. I can't see the thrill in a small child's body...I've seen too many naked kids to even count, and they just make me tired...
The thing is, what does that say about men? Guys...c'mon...talk to us!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

It's not only the guys, sorry to say Angel, the survivor site I'm on, men have the same grips...it's.. read more
While we in the West have admonished the abuse of women and children in Asia, the Middle East and Africa, we sometimes forget to look at our own doorstep. It isn't just the deprivation of education, child marriages, white slavery and the lot that are forms of abuse. The subtle messages we see in media can also contribute to abuse - that women should look a certain way to please men, that women are not worthy of respect if they do not possess a certain look. It tears down the self-image of female despite the empowerment, freedom and independence seemingly granted to them in our society. To possess a certain weight, to look young, to dress a certain way are means of degrading the self-image of those who counter the norm they wish to dictate. So now, we have emaciated-looking women who literally starve themselves as role models. It shouldn't be about body shapes but about how women shape society and make the lives of others better. The abuse is not just physical. When you prick a woman into thinking that she is not good enough because of how she looks, that is abuse.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your thoughts here Rachelle, muchly appreciated, and I concur.
I find that I tremble when I read this and know it's reason... for these nightmares should not exist,. sadness grips my heart at even the thought of such disgusting acts. I don't really know what to say, your poem Frieda is penned perfectly like you always do, I just wish this subject was just a figment of your imagination


Posted 10 Years Ago


Sexual assaults on children are normally viewed far more seriously than those on an adult. This is because of the innocence of the child victim, and also because of the long-term psychological impact that such assaults have on the child.

I learnt about this in school a few weeks ago, and the statistics made me want to cry. Approximately 15% to 25% of women and 5% to 15% of men were sexually abused when they were children. Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often brothers, fathers, mothers, sisters and uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as friends of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.

Something needs to be done about this, your poem is the truth unfortunately and no, no one wants to talk about it, no many report it and that's letting them get away this horrific offence and that's not right. They need to get punished for what they done and not think they can do it and get away with it - that's not right.

People need to know about it and not be afraid to report it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Well said Sye, it's still a major taboo, especially when it's someone the child trusted, they take o.. read more
Thanks for shedding light on this traumatic experience faced by many innocent girls in our society.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading Praveeta, many people close their eyes and turn their heads to this dilem.. read more
Praveeta

10 Years Ago

I agree. You are most welcome dear friend.
We must teach our children well. Even things we do not want to discuss. My dear Grandmother told me story of her abuse in the early 1900. Kids must be protected from bad people. Thank you for sharing your poetry on a important topic. I taught my kids. Trust no-one. More Devils than Angels.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this one Coyote, I remember the story about your grandmother, sometimes the devil.. read more
Raw and in your face...well done! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Raymond.
A very dark and meaningful nursery rhyme, Frieda. It is very important that we learn the signs that pedophiles tend to telegraph. They know how to pick and groom their victims. Thank you for this write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this one Pryde.
Frieda, you always make me turn an ear to those festering demons that scratch at the door I'm afraid to open. This really shook me to my core. I literally crumpled up a write on this a few days ago. Child abuse is a disgusting trend, that needs to be stamped out! Courageous write, and thank you again, for showing me what courage looks like on paper.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

These are always the toughest to write, but if we don't voice it, who will? Spent too long being si.. read more
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

Silent speaks volumes... I am hoping for your strength. You truly are an inspiration.
This...really gets to me. You've spoken a truly saddening truth. Good job with this. I like the song, as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Brittany, she's an oldie but her music always has a great message to convey.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1154 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 14, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


`perhaps~ `perhaps~

A Poem by Frieda P