A farthing...

A farthing...

A Poem by Frieda P

climb'd the trick staircase to austerity

  empty headed steps off lapsed history

genuflecting a blind-eyed anamnesis

  consummated 'tween held poetic breaths

acerbity's aftertaste sharpened teeth

   sardonic causticity bleeds irony's ink

    soft bullet assault to back of the head

French braille written of Greek tragedy

    scraping ashes to resuscitate the flame

      hypocritically ingenious turn of affairs

          pen'd a sixpence worth two cents

   a bloody farthing for posterity's inheritance


© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love how you are using the words now. The poem had to be read a few times. The direct and honest lines made me want to know more. You have given taste of emotion and thoughts. The poem left me wanting more. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


"anamnesis" thanks for the new word ..its a great one says i! the little Catholic girl has come out to play again ... (what a cute thing ) ;)
your angry sarcasm certainly wields a bloody pen ... you keep getting better Freida! better and better ... great last line ...reminds me of our national debt and what my children, and beyond are getting from us ..(heavy sigh) ..
love ya young lady
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh dear .This is a very dark sort of pissed of piece chica.What did they strap on your jacket too tight again luv lol.Ths is an awesome write Freida as only you can pen:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another piece about wanting to do something, yet managing to either do it wrongly or in a way that's not quite normal . . . Greek tragedies written in French braille, enjoyed that line. Stellar! I enjoyed immensely.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Such a dark poem, so much anger here in this piece. Nicely written.

Kaze~ :-D

Posted 10 Years Ago


Are we having a bad hair day Miss Frieda.?
Do I sense some anger here...?
Well woven venom..
Enjoyed it.
Scotty

Posted 10 Years Ago


I give ya points for using anamnesis...I have never seen it used in poetry, in my nursing yes but poetry no and the use was pretty cool. The poem to me seems a bit different than what i have read so far from yours, it's darker and dare I say angry? I love it, of course, I always love angry poems because they are so passionate and a constructive way to vent. I am not quite sure who it is aimed at that though.....which makes me read and read and read again until I find myself putting the anger to someone I relate with. Then of course I get all fired up and THAT is a sign of a good poem. I love being challenged by the piece....The more I don't get it - the more I want to get it, but most poets don't share what it is truly about or who it is truly about. I never did until I came here. I hardly ever do on my blog page even though they ask me to. I don't think it is always a good thing to know the poets true heart of a piece. That is the point of a piece, to share your thoughts and heart and let the reader connect in their own way. Awesome poem I enjoyed it very much. Don't stop writing like this one....it is very passionate! Multi-facted you~ :) Forgive me if there are mistakes in this...very tired. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


You are becoming international now Frieda. I like that a lot. I felt the bleeding of ironies ink. The blind eyes of empathy. I felt climbing endlessly on that staircase. A splendid poem...:)......................

Posted 10 Years Ago


I have to admit i had to look up a few words!... i have only been a member here for a few weeks, although it seems much longer. One thing i love about WC is that the work here challenges me to learn and read critically. As usual Frieda you work as done both once again. Thank you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark and scathing...the anger here is palpable. Let me know if you need an extra shovel...I'm ready and waiting. xo

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

806 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 15, 2014
Last Updated on April 16, 2014
Tags: poetry, posterity, austerity, sardonic, hypocritical, inheritance, braille, Greek tragedy, ink, history

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


First Kiss First Kiss

A Poem by MsJewel