What Must I Do

What Must I Do

A Stage Play by Ethan Paz
"

Christian couldn't be any more depressed. After a series of circumstances, he is forced to make a decision that might change his life.

"

What Must I Do

(a play in one act by Joshua Hadik, Ethan Paz, Cassia Ebert, Kaitlyn Colgrove, Andrew Leaf, and Matt Walton)

Theme: Only God can satisfy the searching soul.

Characters & stock characters: Christian, Amanda, Nick, Alex, Paul, Silas, Steve, Bartender, Prisoner 1, 2, and 3, Coworker, and Reporter.

Christian is a jailor. He is a rugged, down-to-earth, former military man. He is strongly built and tall. He is in his mid 30’s. He was a former Catholic, who no longer practices his faith, and he suffers PTSD.

Amanda is Chris’ wife. She is an outgoing, energetic woman. Her poor relationship with her husband is causing great amounts of stress with her. She too is in her 30s.

Nick & Alex are Christian and Amanda’s children. They are in their early childhood.

Paul & Silas speak at a rally and are imprisoned. They don’t look physically appealing.

Steve, Bartender, Prisoners 1,2, and 3, coworker, and reporter are the stock characters and can be used as the director wishes.

Scene 1: by Joshua Hadik

 

Scene starts out dark, then a light slowly lights up the middle of a stage with a man sitting on a chair. Other lights on the stage are flashing. He just keeps his head down so that his face is shadowed. He is holding a gun in his right hand. He then looks at the gun, sighs, and begins to slowly unload the gun one bullet at a time. The soundtrack plays a faint and distant voice calling out to him with an alarm blaring loudly. He takes the gun with one more bullet in it and points it at himself and the screaming soundtrack gets louder. Then the stage goes dark.

Scene 2: by Ethan Paz

Scene two opens with Christian and Penelope at a standoff on the kitchen counter. Christian is wearing a basic blue jeans and white t-shirt. The setting is at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, namely his house. The first portion of scene two is located in the kitchen. The kitchen has a counter, a table, and a window. The house is a modern middle-class home.

 

CHRISTIAN: “Penelope, off!”

 

PENELOPE: “Meeeeeowwww!”

 

After seeing Penelope’s fur all over the kitchen counter, Christian decides to hose the cat until she decides to get off the counter. Fortunately, the cat jumps to the ground after some five seconds passed; however, the counter is absolutely soaked and the ground sprayed here and there.

 

CHRISTIAN: “Stupid cat.”

 

Alexander, Nick, and Amanda enter the house carrying groceries

 

ALEXANDER & NICK: “Daddy, we’re home!”

 

After Alexander and Amanda walk into the living room, they enter the kitchen (the scene).

 

Nick goes off stage. Christian is on the ground drying up the mess.

 

ALEXANDER: “Dad? Ummm, what you doin?”

 

CHRISTIAN: “Cleaning up mom’s mess. I still don’t understand, Amanda, why we have Penelope in the house.”

 

AMANDA: “Awww, is a little cat beating up my man.”

 

Christian stands up, and Amanda comes to hug and kiss Christian.

 

AMANDA: You’ve been doing so well! I can’t believe it was more than 4 years ago you came home from Iraq.

 

CHRIS: Been two months since my last flare up.

 

AMANDA: I’m so proud of you.

 

Thump! Thump! Nick runs down the stairs and enters the kitchen.

 

NICK: “Alex! You are wroon . . Whoa! Ewww gross! Save that for laterrrr . . . .”

 

Christian continues the kissing.

 

AMANDA: “Hey, can you two get a pizza from the freezer?”

 

NICK: Pizza? Sounds good to me.

 

Nick exits the room

 

Nick runs down the stairs and screams bloody murder as he discovered what his brother did to his toy collection. Before he enters the scene he screams . . .

 

ALEXANDER: “I’m gonna kill you”

 

Alexander rushes in the kitchen behind Nick and darts at him. He then attacks Nick by doing a classic football tackle.

 

Due to Nick facing Amanda, he is vulnerable and exposed to Alex’s attack.

THUMMMMP!

 

The loud thump shook the floor and caused the vase to tip and . . .

 

CRAAASHHHH!

 

Christian pushes Amanda away from him and covers his head with his hands .

 

AMANDA: Nick and Alex! Cut it out, right now!

 

Nick and Alex are still fighting.

 

Christian is still in the same position.

 

AMANDA: (facing Christian) :Aren’t you going to do something? Christian!” (She moves closer to him and touches him.)

 

In what seemed like surprise or frustration-- one wouldn’t know-- he shoved Amanda away from him.

 

Amanda gets pushed to the kitchen counter and is stopped by the force. Nick and Alex stop fighting. They look up to Christian but do not know what happened.

 

AMANDA: Nick . . Alex . . please go your rooms . . now.

 

Nick and Alex exit the scene.

 

Amanda positions herself away from Christian and leans on the counter. Her arms are crossed, and she is glaring at Christian. Christian is turning to look at Amanda but has a confused look on his face.

 

AMANDA: “What was that?”

 

CHRISTIAN: (Shouting) “What was what!”

 

AMANDA: I can’t deal with this anymore...it’s too much.

 

Christian pulls away from Amanda and moves to the window.

 

Amanda stands a while, a tear runs down, and she exits the scene.

 

AMANDA: “Nick! Alex! Change of plans, I’m taking you two to Pizza Hut!”

 

Thump! Thump! Alex and Nick run down the stairs. They and Amanda exit the door with a SLAM!




Scene 3: by Cassia Ebert

Scene opens late at night with Christian walking into a dimly lit bar in a low class part of the city. The bar is not extremely busy and the bar tender, an elderly black male, stands cleaning glasses as Christian takes a a seat at the counter.

CHRISTIAN: “I’ll take a beer.” (Hesitates) “Make it two.”

BARTENDER: (observing Christians disheveled hair and clothing) “ One of those days, eh?” (pops the lid off and pours Christians a tall glass of beer, sliding it across the counter)

CHRISTIAN: (catches glass and lets out a raspy laugh) “Thats one way to put it I guess.”

BARTENDER: (raises one eyebrow) “Whats another way?”

CHRISTIAN: (shakes head slowly) “You really want to know old guy?”

BARTENDER: (shrugs) “Well, way I see it, they pay me to stand here. Doesn't effect me one way or another what you decide to say. But it might make it more interesting around here.” (glances around at the dwindling population of the bar, mostly consisting of a few drunks sitting alone watching a game on television.)

CHRISTIAN: (glances around the bar as well and then thinks a few moments before answering) “ No one would want to know my problems.” (laughs bitterly) “ I got dealt a bad hand.”

BARTENDER: “Look around. All of us are in the same boat. Theres no getting out of this one either.” (laughs as he begins to dry and put away wine glasses) “Oh, trust me I’ve tried...”


CHRISTIAN(finishes off his first beer and starts on his second): “So your saying theres no hope? For things to get better?”

BARTENDER: (shrugs) Depends on how deep you are I guess. Whats your problem? Drugs? Debt? Running from the law? (laughs when he sees christians expression) “Oh, trust me, I’ve heard it all. Nothing surprises an old guy like me anymore.”

CHRISTIAN: (takes a drink, deep in thought for a moment) “Well... for starters my wife left me... My job is on the rocks. Don’t have a friend in this world... I dont know if theres much more to explain.”

BARTENDER: (shakes head slowly) “First mistake was trusting a woman. Their all snakes. Just waiting for a chance to turn on you, find something better, who knows... (silent for a minute as he stares into the distance) “Fifteen years.”

CHRISTIAN: “Fifteen years?”

BARTENDER: (nods) “Yep. Fifteen years is how long I was with her. Took care of her, worked for her. Gave her everything I could and tried to make her happy. but it never was good enough. I never had any idea that she found someone else until I came home
and all her things were gone. Not even a note to explain what happened. She didn't even give me a chance.” (Christian and bartender are both silent for awhile) “Thats why you don't trust them.” (shakes head)

CHRISTIAN: “She’s a good woman though. She wouldn't have left for no reason. She just didn’t want a failure for a husband anymore.” (shakes head.) “thats what I am... A failure.” (frustrated, shoves empty glass gently across the counter) “I’ll take another one.”

BARTENDER: (fills Christians glass) “You know what your problem is? your taking this all too seriously. You know what life is? (leans across the counter a bit, becoming intense.) “It’s a test. You can’t let things get under your skin. You just gotta laugh it off, shake it off, drink it off and move on. Don’t let it get to you.”

CHRISTIAN: (continuing to drink) “I guess your right.. Just seems like... There might be... Something that could help...Anything.” (finishes glass)

BARTENDER: (shakes head) “I’ve tried it all boy. Trust me. Doesn't matter. Drugs, money, women, religion...” (Laughs. The TV screen behind him comes into focus where a mob is rioting in the streets and two men are being arrested, handcuffed and taken away in police cars, amidst the drone of the reporters.

CHRISTIAN: (sits up a little straighter, focusing on the screen.) “Whats going on here...?”

BARTENDER: “Taking them to the jail. Haven’t you heard of these two? Religious radicals or so they say. Stirring up a lot of violence down in the south side.

CHRISTIAN: “South side... Their taking them to where I work.”

BARTENDER: (nods) “Don’t you see what i’m saying now son? Looks at these fools. they give their whole lives for religion and look where it got them. Their no better off then you and I.”

CHRISTIAN: (sinks back down into his seat.) “Maybe your right. There really is nothing I can do.”

BARTENDER: “I can tell you one thing I’ve learned over the years. Ain’t nobody your friend. Don’t trust anyone, don’t count on anyone and maybe you’ll be ok. At the end of the day...”(lifts up a bottle of liqueur) “This is the only thing thats been there for me.” (laughs and shakes his head) “Its just how life is young fella.”

Scene closes with him sitting at the bar continuing to drink till he becomes drunk.


Scene 4: Written by Kaitlyn Colgrove

Background: Christian and Amanda have separated. Deciding to drink away his problems, Christian spends his evenings when not at work in the bar. Amanda, on the other hand, is desperately seeking a different life for not just herself, but her children. She hears of a Gospel rally where Paul and Silas will be, and she and the children decide to check it out.

 

AMANDA: (walking to the rally, children tagging along) Boys, catch up. The rally is starting soon, and we shouldn’t be late.

 

NICK: (running to catch up with Amanda) Mom, who are these men and why do we have to go?

 

AMANDA: Just some men that I have heard are here in town for awhile. I think that what they have to say will be interesting.

 

ALEX: And why isn’t Daddy here with us? Will we get to see him there?

 

AMANDA: I don’t know Alex, but probably not.

 

NICK: I hope he is. I really miss Dad, Mom.

 

AMANDA: (ignoring the previous comment from Nick, but mumbling to herself) He wouldn’t be at anything like this. C’mon boys. Time to catch up, we’re only a block away, and already running a few minutes behind.

 

There are thousands at the rally. As they approach, Paul’s and Silas’s voices can be heard giving a Gospel invitation. They are standing on a stage, speaking to everyone. Amanda and the children get as close as they can to the stage.

 

SILAS: Some of you here are struggling; struggling to meet your family’s needs; struggling to love your spouse as you should; struggling to pick up the pieces after your life has seemingly fallen apart. And there are many of you struggling to forgive the ones who have hurt you the most; struggling to trust that there is a God who loves you and cares for you and has offered you forgiveness- forgiveness for all the wrong that you have done.

 

PAUL: The road to forgiveness is simple. The Bible lays it out so simply for all of us- all you must do is believe in Jesus Christ, accepting that He paid the sacrifice for your sins by dying on the cross, and that three days later, He rose from the dead!

 

SEVERAL PEOPLE FROM ALL AROUND CROWD: Yes, that’s right. Amen, brother! Preach it! Amen!

 

As Paul and Silas continue to speak to the crowd of people, Amanda and the children carry on a conversation.

 

ALEX: (tapping Amanda on the hip) Mom? Is this true?

 

AMANDA: Um, I…I… guess so, Alex, but I’ve never heard anyone talk like this before.

 

NICK: Hey Mo-….???

 

AMANDA: (holds pointer finger to lips) Shhhh, Nick. I’m trying to listen. Ask me later, honey.

 

PAUL: Some of you are desperate to find the forgiveness, because you are burdened by the weight of your sin. Jesus is ready and waiting to accept you as you are. Salvation is a free gift.

 

Crowd begins to stir.

 

PAUL: If any of you feel burdened and desire complete forgiveness, please come forward, and myself or Silas will be here to talk to you.

 

ALEX: Mom, are you going to talk to them? Maybe they could help you and Dad!

 

NICK: And maybe they even know where he is!

 

AMANDA: I doubt it, boys. But, I would like to know more about what they are talking about. I just don’t think it’s the right ti--.

 

Suddenly, sirens can be heard, law enforcement enters the rally, and two policemen walk on stage where Paul and Silas are. Crowd begins to stir even more. People are questioning what is going on.

 

POLICEMAN 1: (pulls out handcuffs and shoves Paul against podium while Policeman 2 does the same for Silas. Both policemen begin to cuff Paul and Silas) You both have the right to remain silent and anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to have an attorney present now and during any future questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you free of charge if you wish.

Policemen and Paul and Silas exit. Crowd begins to ask each other questions.

 

Protestors start to react over Paul and Silas being taken away. Amanda and the boys start getting up to leave.

 

NICK: Mom! They took them away?

 

ALEX: Can they do that? Why?

 

AMANDA: (shaking head) No, boys, I don’t know why.

 

NICK: Maybe if they go to jail, Dad will help them get out.

 

AMANDA: I doubt it, honey.

 

Amanda, Nick, and Alex exit the stage. Lights dim.

 

Scene 5: The Raker’s Home (By Andy Leaf)

The scene opens with Christian, alone at home, with a hangover. Christian awakens on his couch and then proceeds to watch TV while he is seated facing the collective audience. The soundtrack plays assorted sound clips to represent the channels Christian flips through in his alcohol induced haze.

CHRISTIAN: (muffled) Mm-Mandy? (loudly) Mandy?!

CHRISTIAN: (As he raises his arm to flip through three channels) You’re still mad, huh? ‘Thought things would chill out if you got on my case good enough and long enough for me to cave?

(childish music sounds from the TV)

Meh! (Christian changes the channel) Nick! Alex!? (TV commercial sounds) You’re off with momma somewhere? Stupid. Why they want to be here now?

(Christian notices Amanda’s cat Penelope at the end of the couch)

CHRISTIAN: Hey, Stinky, I don’t suppose you wanna run out on me and get all religiously bungled in the head, do ya? (TV plays How Great Thou Art) (Christian tries to get up but collapses back on the couch) Don’t run off and leave these guys some night. (Sighs)

REPORTER: And if you are just tuning in to News 6 we have a riveting story here tonight you won’t want to miss. This Weekend has seen some of the hottest news coming from our own downtown Milwaukee. Imagine the power and mass of a Billy Graham Crusade mixed with the craziness of a Simon and Garfunkel concert gone wrong. Well, Israeli ministers Paul and Silas have managed just this.

CHRISTIAN: (Seeing their photos on TV) Whoo, and they look like towel-loving jihadists too. Ha! (slaps the couch loudly) I bet it’s all above board too with adoring goo-goo eyed fans. (Sighs)

REPORTER: Tonight’s Gospel Rally turned into a P.R. nightmare when Paul and Silas were indicted of multiple accounts of hate speech and hate crimes, including the harassment of a local Wiccan minor whose guardians claim she was assaulted by Paul and Silas. The alleged victim, sixteen year old Delphinè, was unavailable for questions.

CHRISTIAN: See? (standing directly in front of the TV/center of the stage) They’re always putting on one face for the pulpit and another for the offering plate. Why, if that had been my kid I woulda-

(the phone rings behind the couch)

CHRISTIAN: Wup! (doubles back and reaches furiously) Hullo? (soundtrack plays a man’s recorded voice)

COWORKER: Chris, this is urgent. We need you back at County for the rest of the weekend. We’ve got two Holy Roller, rabble-rousers who are being kept as peds for the night. We’re already running a skeleton crew and you’re the only one who answered the phone. Get your butt down here!

CHRISTIAN: Yeah, give me twenty and I’ll be there. (climbs from the couch) Well, Stinky, it looks like your on your own for the night. Use yer litter box, not the couch until Momma and the boys come to feed you. And take care of them Stinky.

Christian Exits.

 

Scene 6: by Matt Walton

 

(scene opens in a crowded cafeteria/rec room of a jail building. at least 4 rambunctious prisoners are milling around visibly upset. Their animosity is centered on Paul and Silas who sit silently in the middle of room. Christian walks in and the comments are now aimed at him)

 

PRISONER 1: Hey I'm not sittin in a cell with this freak! (Other prisoners audibly agree)

 

CHRIS: You'll sit exactly where I tell you!

 

PRISONER 1: No way!

 

PRISONER 2: Ya I'm with him sir, I aint sleepin with either of these crazies.

 

(other prisoners shout out in agreement)

 

CHRIS: Alright, alright everyone quiet down! You and you (pointing to Paul and Prisoner 3) will be in cell 1, You and you (pointing to Silas and Prisoner 2) Cell 2! You two (pointing at the others) can sleep in cell 3 tonight.

 

the prisoners erupt in anger again

 

PRISONERS 2: You can't..

 

CHRISTIAN: (interrupting- visibly angry now) I can do whatever I please! You'll sleep where I tell ya and you'll like it! You got that? Now I don't wanna be here right now any more than any one of you does but we're all here for the night so just shut up and do as you're told! Lock em up Steve.

 

Chris storms out, slamming the door. A short, stocky man, in his late 40's and wearing a jail officer's uniform, begins ushering the prisoners into their assigned cells. The prisoners obey not without their usual half-hearted bickering and shoving. The lights dim as Steve locks each cell and walks back out the same door Chris just exited.

 

spot on Chris sitting at his desk at another part of the stage, Steve walks up

 

STEVE: You ok there boss?

 

CHRISTIAN: I'm good.

 

STEVE: Whatcha think about those two guys back there? Seem to be sayin some pretty wacky stuff! Caused quite a ruckus around town.

 

CHRISTIAN: (holding his head, quietly) I'm just here to do my job Steve.

 

STEVE: (unabated) I've been keepin a close eye on that rally of theirs they got going on downtown. Even went to one of the meetins. All this talk of Jesus and salvation, its got me thinkin, an lots of other folks by the sound of it. You know I saw all sorts of people at that there meetin. Black folks an white folks, folks with funny colored hair. Your wife an kids were there. I even saw a midget guy, he was..

 

CHRISTIAN: (interrupting) What did you say?!

 

STEVE: A midget. He was, oh yea short, but had the face of a full grown feller. You shoulda seen his pants! Cutest thing I ever..

 

CHRISTIAN: No before that! My wife? You saw Amanda?

 

STEVE: Well sure! She was there with the boys. You didn't know this? (realizing) Is there somethin goin on at home boss?

 

CHRISTIAN: How was she?

 

STEVE: She seemed . . . well she seemed fine. She was really into what those two guys were sayin up on stage over there.

 

A long pause as Christian sinks back into his seat.

 

STEVE: (softly) Maybe you should look into what they've been sayin. I know I . . . .

 

CHRISTIAN: (yelling) I don't want to look into it! I don't want anything to do with anything they say!

 

STEVE: (taken aback) Alright boss well my shift is up. You need to figure some stuff out. You got this? You're the only one on duty tonight.

 

CHRISTIAN: I've got it.

 

STEVE: Yeah. Well, you better have it. You aint got nothin else at this point. I tell you what, those guys make me feel more thankful for my wife and family. I don't know why. Just do.

 

CHRISTIAN: Are you done Steve?!

 

STEVE: Yeah, I'm done. You know I've got no problem with comin to work a little hungover boss but you better not slip up tonight. The DA wants them kept safe and locked away.

 

CHRISTIAN: Your sermon over yet?

 

STEVE: Alright, I hear ya. Night boss.

 

Steve exits

As the spot light fades and a dim light envelopes the entire stage, soft a cappella singing is heard which continues to grow. The music should be determined based on audience preference and background as well as the singing ability of the performers.

 

PRISONER 3: Hey shut up over there!

 

singing continues

 

PRISONER 3: Quiet down! Who do you think you are?!

 

PRISONER 3: (obviously softening to Paul and Silas) Hey just let em sing. (singing continues)

 

Silas drops out while Paul continues to sing. Silas speaks quietly to Prisoner 2 who nods his head several times and eventually bows his head to pray with Silas. After prayer he smiles, they embrace, and both resume singing with Paul. Singing gets louder, if the sound system allows, soft accompanying music begins to play. Prisoner 3 comes to his cell door and silently as the music plays gets the attention of Prisoner 2. An episode much like what happened with Silas and Prisoner 2 occurs and both of them again start to sing. While this is going on, Chris is becoming more and more agitated and he is almost desperately trying to get the noise of the song out of his head. Prisoner 1 and 4, still acting skeptical to the message that both 2 and 3 have seemed to accept, begin piping in timidly on the simple tune that is being sung. The music continues to grow

 

CHRISTIAN: (slamming open the door) Enough! I can't take it anymore! You're in a jail! You have NO reason to be happy right now.

 

PRISONER 2:Hey! Have you heard what these dudes are saying about Jesus? You can be saved!

 

CHRISTIAN: Hey! You can shut up RIGHT now!

 

PRISONER 2: But . . . .

 

CHRISTIAN: NO! No more singing. No more praying. This is done! Ya'll better lay down and get comfortable cuz I aint takin anymore of this you got that?

 

pause

 

PAUL: (quietly) Sir?

 

CHRISTIAN:What do you want?

 

PAUL: Can I pray for you?

 

CHRISTIAN:Oh, I'm way too far gone dude.

 

PAUL: So was I.

 

CHRISTIAN: Shut up and go to sleep.

 

Chris storms out

 

Chris sinks back into his chair and pulls a cell phone out his pocket and makes a call

 

CHRISTIAN: Son? Nick? Is that you?

 

NICK: (the audio of Nicks voice should be played over the speakers or by an off stage voice. Nick is a young boy and sounds very uncertain) Dad?

 

CHRISTIAN: Nick! Where are you?

 

NICK: Uh…I don't know.

 

CHRISTIAN: Is your mom there?

 

NICK: No..

 

CHRISTIAN: Where is she?

 

NICK: She left…she told us not to answer the door or the phone..

 

CHRISTIAN: Nicky…where are you? What door?

 

NICK: I gotta go Dad…you hurt mom..

 

CHRISTIAN: I know buddy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I was being crazy.. Nick? You there? Nick? (looks at phone. Call has ended. Calls back, no ring and then the answering machine comes on)

 

AMANDA: (on answering machine): Hey, its Amanda. Leave a message. *beep*

 

Chris lays his head down on the desk and starts to silently sob. Slowly the lights dim to darkness as Chris continues to sob and eventually just falls asleep on his desk. Lights fade to black. A huge pause ensues

 

suddenly the alarms start going off. none of the prisoners can be seen. The scene is identical to the opening scene

 

CHRISTIAN: Oh No! No, no, no no!

 

Chris runs to the door and sees all the cell doors open. Everything seems to go out of him and he slumps back to his desk. He sets his gun on the desk. Slowly pulls out his cell phone and makes a call

 

AMANDA: (on answering machine) Hey, its Amanda. Leave a message. *beep*

 

CHRISTIAN: Amanda, I'm sorry, I'm…sorry I'm a failure, I'm sorry You were all I had…and I ruined it. I…just…wish I could take it all back, I'd do it different…I…

 

hangs up, it would be good if he was crying

 

Chris holds his gun up to his head, this part is still identical to the first wedding

 

PAUL: (all of a sudden at Chris' side) Don't do it sir…

 

Christian pulls the trigger and blows his head away

 

Just kidding

 

CHRISTIAN: What the..! (Christian is extremely startled and he jumps back and points the gun at Paul who is standing with Silas, calmly)

 

PAUL: We're all still here.

 

SILAS: Put down the gun. (Christian moves the gun to cover Silas) What, are you gonna shoot us for saving your job and your life?

 

CHRISTIAN: (screaming) Who are you guys?!

 

PAUL: (calmly) It doesn't matter who we are, it matters what we have to say. Are you ready to hear it now Chris?

 

Christian slowly sits back down in his chair, setting the gun on the table. Sighs, then quietly nods his head

 

PAUL: The Bible says "He who has ears, let him hear." Chris, you are about to hear the most amazing truth that there ever was.

 

SILAS: When Jesus Christ came down from heaven as a baby, he didn't do it to start a worldwide holiday.

 

PAUL: Jesus came here with a specific purpose.

 

SILAS: You see, God knew that we were all sinners. Romans 3:23 says "For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God." He knew that none of us could ever hope to live up to the standards of heaven, the standard of perfection.

 

PAUL: For hundreds of years, God had been providing the Israelites, His chosen people, a way to atone for their sins, a way to make up for all the wrong they did which disqualified them from heaven.

 

SILAS: The Hebrew people were required to make burnt sacrifices at certain times during the year. This ritual allowed an entirely sinful and perverse people to reach Heaven, but the system was only temporary. God had a better plan, a more permanent one, a more perfect one.

 

PAUL: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." God's plan was to send his son to earth to live a perfect life, to die a perfect death, and to become a perfect sacrifice to atone for the sins of the entire world…His only son. Do you have a son Chris?

 

CHRISTIAN: Got two…had two…don't know where they are. Wife won't talk to me. I'm a man without a family.

 

PAUL: Jesus wants to be your family, Chris!

 

SILAS: Don't you see? Jesus came to Earth, lived a perfect life, and died on the cross to save YOU. You're a sinner, Chris. We all are. You deserve a one-way trip to hell for the wrong you've done. I'd be in the seat right next to you. But he's made a way out! He paid the price for your ticket to heaven. He died so that YOU can live!

 

PAUL: He's waiting for you, Chris…open arms. You can be saved right here, right now, in this jail room.

 

this whole time, Chris has not reacted to the preaching but has listened intently

 

CHRISTIAN: Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

 

PAUL: Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.

 

CHRISTIAN: So, what do I just…say I believe it?

 

PAUL: That's the amazing thing, Chris! This man of perfection, this ultimate sacrifice, this high and glorious Lord wants to talk to YOU! He wants a relationship with you! It's astounding! He wants to be your friend! All you have to do is call out to Him in prayer. He wants you to talk to him. Just tell him what you feel, tell him you want to have a relationship with him, accept his invitation and let him into your heart and into your life. Do it now, he's waiting for you!

 

CHRISTIAN: God, I'm a failure. My life is worth nothing, I'm a horrible husband, a horrible father, a horrible man. I don't even know why you would want to save me, but I believe in your sacrifice for me and I accept your salvation. Come into my life. Save me, God. I can't save myself.

 

Chris opens his eyes, smiles and stands up. soundtrack plays. Chris hugs Paul and then Silas. They converse silently while the music plays over the sound system. As the music fades out, Chris notices Amanda off in the doorway. She may have walked in during Chris' conversion but did not make herself known to anyone on stage. Chris rushes over to her.

 

CHRISTIAN: Amanda, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

 

AMANDA: I know, I heard it all…

 

CHRISTIAN: (excited) Do you believe too?

 

AMANDA: I…I think I do…

 

CHRISTIAN: Oh Amanda, you have to talk to these guys. This is Paul and Silas, those two craz-…those preachers that have been having that rally over on the south side.

 

AMANDA: Yeah I went to the one they got arrested at, that's why I came here.

 

PAUL: I believe you are here by the leading of the Lord, Amanda. Would you like to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior like your husband has done?

 

AMANDA: Yeah I do.

 

Paul motions to Silas who takes Christian aside to a corner where he starts to explain to Amanda the salvation of Jesus Christ. This will not be heard by the audience, however. The audio starts to play again as Paul walks to center stage facing the audience.

 

PAUL: That I may know him and the power of his resurrection What then? Christ is proclaimed! And in that I rejoice. That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers! I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. So I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me�"practice these things and the God of peace will be with you And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

(taken from Philippians 1:6, 18, 21, 27 -- 2:10-11, -- 3:2, 10, 14, -- 4:7, 9)

 

© 2012 Ethan Paz


Author's Note

Ethan Paz
I wrote scene two.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
Added on October 24, 2012
Last Updated on October 24, 2012

Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz