The Horseshoe

The Horseshoe

A Story by Emirii
"

I was bored after taking the class survey today... had an hour to kill.... wasn't really creative, as you can see...

"

 "I don't know why I agreed to this." I said to Anderson, who I couldn't see anywhere. "I should have listened to my mom." 

"And be what?  A wuss?" Anderson asked. "Now come on, it's your fault you agreed to it."

I looked shocked, and only hoped that he could see my expression in the dark. "It is not! You bribed me with your leftover Oreos at lunch. That was your fault!" 

I could tell what kind of look he was wearing on his face, one that told me that he didn't care. "Yeah, yeah, you can believe that." He said. "Now hand me the flashlight, would you?" 

"Why should I?" 

"Because you're my best friend." 

I handed it to him, and felt his palm which reassured me that we were both in their together. My older brother, Derek, had told me how much of a pushover I was. Especially around Anderson Conwell. 

Anderson shone the beam of light coming from the flashlight after one simple turn of a switch was made. 

I started shaking. "Alright, alright, let's find that dumb horseshoe and get out of here." I said. "This place is really starting to give me the creeps." 

Anderson rolled his eyes. "Relax, Cooper. What are you scared of? A zombie or something?" 

"Hopefully not." 

"Oh, please." 

I stayed so close to him that our shoulders touched. I didn't want to lose sight of the flashlight in this humongous, dark attic. 

"Okay, let's look for it." Andy ordered. "It's red and black, and of course in a horseshoe shape." 

I lifted up a dusty cushion on an old, rickety couch, then said. "Oh, look at that, darn. We couldn't find it. Now let's get going!" 

"Wait." Anderson grabbed the back of my shirt collar and dragged me back to where he was standing. "Papa ain't leavin' 'till he gots his horseshoe back." 

I rolled my eyes and started sorting through old boxes and drawers. "What if Mr. Wallace sees us?" 

"He's out of town, Dufus!" Andy said, swatting at the back of my head. "Now just look." 

I held up something in a U shape and held it under Anderson's flashlight ray. "Is this it?" I asked him. 

"Yeah!" He said excitedly. "Good job, Cooper." He held up his hand to give me a high five. 

I resisted and said sternly, "I will high five you when we get out of this attic alive." 

Anderson shrugged. "Fine, fine. Have it your way." 

We made our way down the hall to the staircase leading out of the creepiest attic in the world, belonging to our seventh grade history teacher. 

The flashlight turned off. "Andy, turn it back on, I can't find the doorknob in this light." 

"It burnt out." Anderson said. "Just feel around for the doorknob." 

We felt around for something close to a doorknob, until we found a small circle plucked out of a door shape piece of wood. But when we turned it, it resisted to open. 

 

We were trapped. 

 

© 2009 Emirii


Author's Note

Emirii
Yeah... I was bored after a class survey today... that's why I wrote this...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay now come clean, you're not really 12 are you? haha. Your writing is far superior to that of someone your age. This is an excellent writting. You have nicely written dialog, with great discriptions and the story flows beautifully.
There is one thing though, yeah there always has to be that one thing right? In this sentence:

"Anderson shone the beam of light coming from the flashlight after one simple turn of a switch was made."

This is the only spot where it feel awkward to read. Maybe rework this line a little.

'With a single turn of the switch, a beam of light flowed forth from the flashlight that Anderson held.'

Just a thought, outside of that one line, the story was a wonderful read.

And again, are you sure you're only 12? Your writing is the quality of someone much older. Maybe your parents lied to you and you are just small for your real age of 30? lol Either way, keep writting, I enjoy reading your posting.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 2, 2009

Author

Emirii
Emirii

MA



About
Hello there, it's me, Emirii. I am a 12 year old wannabe novelist, and my dream is to publish a bestseller when I'm older. I get my inspiration from Harper Lee, Sarah Dessen, Edgar Allen Poe, and vari.. more..

Writing