Muffin at Midnight

Muffin at Midnight

A Story by Emirii
"

A short story I wrote for English class. Based on a true story.

"
Muffin at Midnight
    Pitter, Patter the rain sounded on the windowpane, tainting it with a drizzle-like fog. The dreary rain poured down along with a swift whistle that sounded through the wind in the night. It was well past midnight on a summer evening, and I was almost positive that I was the only soul awake in the quiet house. It was times like this that I felt grateful for being inside, and well protected by the four walls around me. The storm hurled on, as I clicked away on my keyboard, typing. I was hard at work when I suddenly sat up, reason unknown, as if awaiting something. Then, I heard it. The moaning rumble that gurgled in my stomach like an enormous clap of thunder. Only then did I realize the truth of it all: I was hungry.
    My mind suddenly shot back to the single muffin that lay in the white box in the kitchen from breakfast that morning. Dotted with chocolate chips, the memory of it practically made my mouth water, and I knew I had to act fast. I reluctantly stood up, stepping carefully across the carpeted floor and opening the door wider. The darkness poured over me, and I stood in the eery silence of the hallway.
    I stepped forward, letting the bottoms of my toes touch the floor gradually, then jerked them back at the frigidness of the smooth ground below. Hesitantly, I put both feet on the chilled floor again, prepared, and tiptoed gently forward.
    I peered over the staircase nervously, and saw only the faint silhouettes of steps. In the daylight, the stairs seemed welcoming, but in the darkness, they proved to be nothing but treacherous. I couldn't see the last stair, as the steps merged with the dark, and the bottom instantly became a bottomless pit of nothingness. As I stepped onto the desolate stairs, I felt the night pour over me. With a triumphant step down one stair, I braced myself for the perilous journey to the kitchen.
    I walked slowly, step by step, down the stairs, unaware of my surroundings. Normally, the moon would shine bright and illuminate the stairwell, but in the midst of the storm it was nothing but supposition, clouded by a storm of theory. The end of the stairway became more clear and less distant. I could see the final step as I put my foot down on the sixth and-
    “MROW!” The cat on the step below screeched suddenly, jarring me to a stop. I quickly removed my foot from its back, and saw its deep black fur standing straight up in fright. She spread its cat mouth wide, baring her merciless jaws. Her claws lay inches away from my leg, the perfect target for any paw.
    I slipped on the railing, and shook the silence. As soon as it had appeared, the cat scurried down the remaining steps and around the corner, never to be seen again. The beast was out of eyesight, and I become fully aware of my steps, checking if the coast was clear before planting my foot on the deceitful stairs.
    I took another step, than found myself in the midst of the dark kitchen. I flicked the light switch next to me, and saw the eery flickering light zap on, revealing the muffin box. I looked on in envy at the last standing muffin.
    Without moving, I heard a creak. Then, another, and a few more. What was this? Another cat? I was panicked suddenly, unsure of what was following me. Then, I saw it. It lurked out from the other side of the kitchen, and looked surprised to see me too.
    “Emily?”
    “Violet.” I confirmed, more to myself than her. There stood my stepsister opposite me. I wanted to think she was just getting orange juice, or some other excuse to be downstairs at midnight.
    She put one foot forward, looking suspicious of me being up so late. “What are you down here for at this hour?” She shifted from one side to the other uncomfortably, which confirmed that we both had the same goal.
    “What about yourself?” I accused pointedly. She gave me a certain look that held some sort of warning, as if she already knew I wouldn't win this round. I cracked my knuckles, showing that I wasn't afraid of whatever trap she had laid out.
    I crossed my arms over my chest cockily, saying, “It's my muffin.”
    “We'll see.” She said with a competitive smirk, raising her eyebrows as if she were amused.
    Suddenly and unexpectedly, a bolt of lightning rang throughout the night sky, illuminating the kitchen and causing the center light bulb to burn out, my muffin becoming part of the murk. I took off running for the muffin, dodging obstacles I could only imagine were in my way. I could hear other footsteps, those of Violet, as she dashed from the opposite direction in search of the same golden pastry.
    I stumbled over something, then left it behind, not caring what it was. As soon as I hit the table, I searched wildly with only my hands to guide me for the muffin. I could feel Violet's hands too, as we both tried to discover the whereabouts of the delicious prize.
    Finally, I found it! I had laid my hand against a crumbling surface, with a plastic wrapper on most of it, and dotted with the distinct feel of chocolate chips. I grabbed it, running back up the stairs and sliding across the floor, catching myself from falling. I swung open the bedroom door, landing safe and secure inside with my prize.
    This muffin, to me, was like an Olympian's gold medal or the American flag on the moon. This was my prize, what I had retrieved and been aiming for in the last twenty minutes. I had never wanted something so badly in my life.
    I peeled down the wrapper a bit, then bit in a crumbly bite, and wiped my mouth. It tasted amazing, and even better with the satisfaction of knowing I had won.

© 2010 Emirii


Author's Note

Emirii
I labeled this "horror" because I thought it had a chilling vibe to it. Tell me how that was protrayed please~

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

*horror vibe

Posted 14 Years Ago


Technically it's the roof that protects you from the rain.

This reminds me of a Cowboy Beboop episode where that thing gets out of the refridgerator after several years.

It did have that horrible vibe to it. I caught it within the first few paragraphs. You use some good description although the part where she descends the stairs is a little clumsy. You sorta mentioned stairs every other sentence.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2010
Last Updated on February 13, 2010

Author

Emirii
Emirii

MA



About
Hello there, it's me, Emirii. I am a 12 year old wannabe novelist, and my dream is to publish a bestseller when I'm older. I get my inspiration from Harper Lee, Sarah Dessen, Edgar Allen Poe, and vari.. more..

Writing
Rainy Days Rainy Days

A Book by Emirii