Triggered

Triggered

A Story by Leena
"

A short story about triggers. Warning: Mentions rape/non-con

"

 I  made  my  rapist  breakfast.

We  had  been  living  together  for  two  years,  and  I  made  him  breakfast  every  morning  ever  since  I  moved  in.  I  would  make  him  a  healthy  breakfast,  wake  him  up  and  say  “I  love  you”  before  he  left  for  work.  That  was  our  morning  routine,  and  I  always  believed he  loved  me.


He  had  never  forced  himself  upon  me  and  I  never  expected  him  to.  He  came  home  from  work,  we  had  dinner  and  called  it  a  night.  I  told  him  I  wasn’t  in  the  mood,  and  I thought  he  would  respect  that.  He  usually  did.


The  next  morning,  I  was  wide  awake  before  the  sun  had  risen.  I  sat  in  the  shower  for an  hour  feeling  completely  disgusted.  At  him,  yes,  but  more  so  at  myself.  I  felt  that  I  should  have  enjoyed  it  because  he  was  my  lover.  I  thought  I  should  have  wanted  it.


I  got  out  of  the  shower,  got  dressed,  walked  into  the  kitchen  and  made  breakfast.  Just like  always.  As  I  cooked,  I  started  to  hate  myself  more  and  more.  I  blamed  it  on  myself.  I  couldn’t  stop  myself  from  trembling,  and  I  knew  I  didn’t  want  him  to  wake  up.  Repulsive  images  played  through  my  head  over  and  over  again  until  it  felt  like  they  were  imprinted  in  my  mind.


I  began  to  cry  as  I  set  the  food  down  on  the  table.  Horrible,  relentless  sobs  that  left  me  feeling  empty  and  aching.  As  soon  as  I  finished  breakfast,  I  packed  a  bag  and  fled  to  my  mother’s  house,  all  while  he  was  still  asleep.  I  broke  down  in  tears  in  her  arms.  I  never  told  her  what  happened,  and  she  never  asked.


To  this  day,  I  still  struggle  to  make  or  eat  breakfast.  There  are  certain  things  I  am  unable  to  eat  because  I  made  them  for  him.  Each  and  every  time  I  am  reminded  of  that  morning.  It  took  me  a  long  time  before  I  could  stop  shaking  from  just  hearing  the  word  “breakfast”.


I  made  my  rapist  breakfast,  and  it  ruined  my  life.  Months  passed  before  I  stopped  blaming  myself,  and  for  me  to  make  breakfast  without  having  a  panic  attack.  Be  careful   when  you  make  fun  of  what  triggers  people.  You  don’t  know  their  stories.

© 2016 Leena


Author's Note

Leena
Told from the perspective of another person. I have never experienced sexual assault.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on August 8, 2016
Last Updated on August 8, 2016
Tags: short story, triggers

Author

Leena
Leena

Ontario, Canada



About
"I always win, therefore I am always right." - Akashi Seijuro [LEENA] An aspiring young writer at fourteen years old. I tend to make a lot of mistakes and a lot of lame jokes. more..

Writing