City Traffic Puzzle

City Traffic Puzzle

A Screenplay by Gabriel Crow
"

All Maya and Shield want is to make it big with their band. But with their new music producer Tom, Japan has gotten much harder in the music industry.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of City Traffic Puzzle .



EXT.  AN EMPTY PARK NIGHT

Powerful rain and wind blow through the park while MAYA sits on a swing reading over lyrics. She jumps off the swing and starts to walk home. She tries to fight the wind, but it overcomes her and her lyrics that are on a scratch piece of paper flies out of her hand and disappears into the dark. Cussing she chases after it. But she is stopped in her tracks to see a tall figure in the dark lean downing and picking it up. TOM starts to read the paper and laughs. He drops his cigarette and put it out with his shoe. He looks down at MAYA who stares at him very quietly. All she can see is two golden eyes peer at her from the dark. TOM throws the papers down to MAYA’S feet. She leans down and picks them up.

                          TOM

Ha. Lyrics…?

                          MAYA

What do you mean “Ha”?

                          TOM

Give it up kid. This is armature writing. Trust me; I’m doing you a favor by telling you to.    

              MAYA

Give…up…? Hey now! Screw you buddy! First off, I’m not a “kid” and secondly you don’t know what talent is if it kicked you in the a*s!

TOM walks away while lighting up a cigarette.

              TOM   

Kay kid.

    CUT TO:  

 

INT. RECORDING STUDIO DAY

MAYA and her band mate SHIELD sit there waiting for the owner of the studio, LILY to come. She is supposed to introduce them to some famous music producer today. The studio smells of scented candles and has this hipster mixed with 80’s type of feel to it. The walls are covered with golden records and pictures of LILY with multiple famous Indie bands. To pass the time SHIELD is cleaning his electric piano and MAYA writing stuff down in her notebook. SHIELD looks over at MAYA because he hears a loud grunt and then sees her throw her notebook on the couch. He hesitates but then walks over to MAYA and gently sits down by her.

                          SHIELD

You doing okay Maya? You look a bit irritated.   

              MAYA

It’s because I am Shield! Ugh. So, some screw off was ripping on my song I wrote. I didn’t even ask for his opinion. He just picked it up and told me to just give up! What kind of person does that to a young ambitious young adult?

              SHIELD                   

          (Sighs deeply) 

Well you know not everyone is going to like our music and that’s fine. I mean everyone has their own taste in music. Don’t be discouraged. Not everyone is going to like us when we get known. Bedsides Maya…I mean, there’s a reason I am the song writer too. You’re still new to the whole thing.

              MAYA

Yeah I know that! It’s just…I dunno. I guess you’re right. I just wanted to be able to write a good song and have it be a hit…But you know. I suck.

              SHIELD

         (Smirks then chuckles)

Yeah kind of…                     

LILY walks in with a tall, blonde, mid-aged male also known as TOM. TOM looks over his sunglasses to clearly see MAYA who was sitting there with her mouth wide open. TOM smiled and pushes up his glasses.

                          LILY

Shield, Maya, this is Tom Samson. A world renowned music producer! He’s the best of the best and he is very interested on hearing you two today.

              MAYA

You got to be kidding me…

              TOM

Wow really. Interesting.

SHIELD looks at MAYA confusingly and then looks at TOM)

                          SHIELD

So that’s the Screw-off?

              TOM   

I’m a Screw-off? Oh that’s very mature kid.

              MAYA

I’m not a kid, got it?!

LILY hands TOM a CD case.

              LILY

       (Clears her throat)

Well…to break up this awkward silence, here Tom, their CD. Their band is called City Traffic Puzzle. I’d love you to consider them.

              TOM

Well I already had a little preview so I’m not too sure if I am interested…

SHEILD holds up the paper with the lyrics on them.

                          SHIELD

You read this? These are…under construction lyrics written by a girl that doesn’t know how to write. I am the song writer so don’t get the wrong impression cause of her.

SHIELD looks over at MAYA and smiles evilly.

              MAYA

What?! Hey! I know how to write! I may not be the best, but I’m not bad…am I?

                 TOM

                  (Looks over glasses at MAYA)

Very...and alright I’ll listen to a couple tracks.

TOM put the CD in the CD-player and places the headphones on. For a while he sits there looking out the window with no facial expression. SHIELD looks over at MAYA who was biting on her notebook nervously. SHIELD nudges MAYA a couple times.

                          SHIELD

I can’t read him… you think he likes it?

              MAYA

He hates me…so we’re dead.

TOM takes off head phones and looks over at MAYA and SHIELD. He gets up and gives LILY the CD-player.

              TOM

Their alright. They would need more work on the structure of the songs, so maybe more band mates. But I would consider taking them to a couple gigs I know appreciate this kind of music. Alternative indie-rock? Whatever you guys are.

TOM looks over at MAYA

                          TOM

You have a sweet voice, doesn’t match you so well. Perhaps a make-over.

             

              MAYA

Excuse me? What are you saying? I’m ugly?

              TOM

I’m just saying if you want to be famous you better look like it. Here.

Hands MAYA a business card

                          TOM

This guy will clean you up and give the public eye something to look at.

As for Shield, he looks like someone I could see on stage.

              MAYA

                    (Mumbles under breath)

Yeah yeah yeah.

              LILY

You know what Tom? They have a show tonight at six. It’s at the Willow’s Café. You should  come see them live.

              TOM

We’ll see. My schedule is rather busy.

TOM starts to leave, but looks over his shoulder one more time to look at SHIELD and MAYA.

                          TOM

Not too bad for kids.

CUT TO:

INT. WILLOWS CAFÉ   NIGHT

     The Willows Café is a very small café in the middle of the city. Many locals walk in and find seats for the show. There is a small stage in the middle of the café and it’s surrounded by little tables to order foods and drinks. The lighting is rather dim, giving off a relaxed feeling in the room. MAYA runs in with a giant hat on to cover her hair. SHIELD stops pacing the room when he sees her.

                            

                          SHIELD

Jesus! There you are Maya! What took you so long? How was the make-over? Let me see your hair!

                

              MAYA

Well, it’s bad…I mean…it’s…just different.

              SHIELD

SHIELD tears off MAYA’s hat. Her hair is about the same in length; long, blonde, and one pink stripe on the left side. It is very thin, and has been obviously styled with hairspray and teasing.   

                          SHIELD

Oh wow that’s actually not too bad! I like it Maya it’s you!

              MAYA

        (Chuckles nervously)

 

You think? Thank you Shield... Now, let’s get the equipment set up and let’s blow the top off of this café.

                

SHIELD and MAYA walk onto the stage and set up the equipment. LILY sits in the back smiling and waving. More people started to show up. MAYA looks out over the sea of heads looking around at everyone. The lights start to dim and she picks up her guitar and stands in front of the microphone.

                      MAYA

Hey we’re City Traffic Puzzle! And we are happy to see the outcome tonight! So please sit back and enjoy the show! We’d love you guys to also check out some merchandise in the back! So here we go! Enjoy!

 

The music starts to play and MAYA sings a couple songs. Something catches her eyes, and she sees a familiar tall figure in the back. TOM leans against the wall looks over his glasses. He puts his cigarette out on the floor and then sits next to LILY. MAYA still singing watches them talk for a bit then soon after TOM gets up and leaves.

 FADE OUT:

CUT TO:

 

 

INT. BACKSTAGE   NIGHT

SHIELD is sitting with MAYA and enjoying some backstage food and cheap beer. The backstage is covered with equipment, wires, and people cleaning up. LILY enters to room with a tall pile of papers and one pen. She hands the piles to MAYA.

                         

                          LILY

Well Tom would like to sponsor you guys and try to get a couple tracks out on the air. You down?

          MAYA

Wha-what! Really?! Uh. Er…

          SHIELD

Of course we will!

SHIELD grabs the paper and starts to sign it. He looks up at MAYA and hands her a pen.

                          SHIELD

Are you ready for this?

          MAYA

      (Smiling big)

I am born ready.

MAYA signs the paper and gives it back to LILY.

                          LILY

Alright. Let’s get this thing rollin’!

LEGEND: TWO WEEKS LATER.

                                      CUT TO:

INT. RECORDING STUDIO DAY

SHIELD and MAYA are sitting on the couch and trying to write new songs. The quite room is soon interrupted by LILY running in frantically scaring SHIELD and MAYA.

 

                          LILY

Guys! Guys! Oh my gosh! I have awesome news!

LILY stumbles over some of the equipment to get over to them.

          SHIELD

Hu? What!? Spill it Lily!

SHIELD and MAYA stand up and go over to LILY.      

 

                          LILY

Okay, so Tom...He wants you guys to perform at this gig…Now get this. It’s in Japan!

          SHIELD

Japan…? Like…like…Japan?!

MAYA light headily walks into the drum set. She rubs her head.

                          MAYA

You’re serious Lily? But Tom doesn’t even know us that well…don’t cha think?

          LILY

Yeah I know it all seems so rushed, hut he said the music you’re playing; Indie-Rock. It’s a big thing in Japan right now and he’s confident that you guys are going to hit it off big.So you guys down?

SHIELD looks over at MAYA nervously.

                          SHIELD

We’d have to travel thousands of miles away with a stranger to an unknown land.

          MAYA

…Yeah. Dude.

          SHIELD

Dude…

          MAYA

Let’s do it.

MAYA grabs SHIELD’S hand and shook it.

           FADE OUT:

           CUT TO:

INT. AIRPLANE NIGHT

MAYA is looking out the window of the airplane. She is listening to her songs, and is lipping them out. The plane is very small and very empty. SHIELD has his face pressed against the window and it is covered in his drool. TOM has not moved at all ever since the plane took off. He sits there reading a book between LILY and MAYA. LILY is yelling at the flight attendants asking for a movie, or at least food. TOM closes his book and looks over at LILY.

                          TOM

Don’t you have something better to do? Like sleep? Or maybe, not talk?

          LILY

Well I’m starving here and I’ve been waiting for my food forever. And we’ve been on this damn plane for over nine hours! How hard is it to make a salad? Good gracious.

 

          TOM

Right. Well I don’t see city lights, so we must be over water now.

TOM looks over at MAYA and pulls out one of her earphones.

                          TOM

Have you ever been to Japan?

          MAYA

Oh hm. No I haven’t. I haven’t even left the U.S.A before…

          TOM

You’re kidding…

          MAYA

Nope! Ha ha! I am really excited though. I heard it’s very beautiful.

          TOM

It is.

          MAYA

You’ve been?

          TOM

                         (Smiling)

Well I was born and raised there.

TOM lights up his cigarette and MAYA takes out her other earphone and looks over at him with a surprised look.

          MAYA

Really!? But…uhh. You’re white. In fact; you’re glowing. Nothing about you says “I’m Japanese.”

          TOM

Well I am only have a little bit in me, so obviously it’s not very noticeable.

          MAYA

      (Chuckling)

I guess not. That’s cool though. We need someone that can help us out and speak the language.

          TOM

That’s not needed. Places we’re going to, most of the population knows American.

MAYA watches TOM flick his cigarette bud into a water bottle.

                          MAYA

When are you not smoking?

          TOM

When I’m sleeping.

          MAYA

Well...you know…

          TOM

What? That it’s bad and I should quit? I know this already. I just don’t give two flying-

The FLIGHT ATTENDANT comes out with a plate of salad.

                          FLIGHT ATTENDANT

I have a salad here for…Lily. Who’s Lily?

LILY reaches over TOM and MAYA.

                          LILY

Thank you GOD! I swear I was going to die over here.

                                    CUT TO:

INT. JAPANESE AIRPORT NIGHT

The airport is pact to the top with thousands of people. The neon signs to point out sections of the airport glow extra bright at night from the reflections on the windows. Over the intercom the low mumble of fast Japanese comes out of it. But it’s hard to hear over the screeching of shoes, the sound of the monorail and the sound of cell phones going off. SHIELD, MAYA, TOM, and LILY find their way to the baggage return and are waiting for their bags. MAYA, LILY, and SHIELD stand there dumb founded at all the surroundings. As if they have never seen something so hectic before. TOM stands there reading his book. He closes it and looks over at the three.

                          TOM

Our bags are here. Stop standing around like dumb a*s tourists.

          LILY

Hey, where new to all of this, so let us be stupid tourists! OoOooOoh!

LILY nudges SHIELD in excitement.

                          LILY

Hey look! A sushi bar in the airport! We didn’t even have one of these in the state of Michigan!

          SHIELD

Oh my gosh! This is like…awesome! I’ve never had sushi before awh yay!

          TOM

      (Rolls eyes)

You guys are pathetic.

TOM grabs the rest of the bags and puts them on a carrier. He checks his wallet and pulls out some Yens.

                          TOM

Let’s get go get some food. I’m starving.

          SHIELD

Man food sounds amazing but I am pretty drained from all the traveling so I might just go hit the sack. What about you Maya?

 

          MAYA

Well I guess I can get a bite to eat before I go to the hotel. I didn’t eat all day. Lily?

          LILY

I’m not too tired, but I’m not hungry. I might as well go and get drunk.

          TOM

Alright. Sounds like a plan. Let’s go, I need a smoke.

                                    CUT TO:

 

INT. GAIJIN TONIC BAR NIGHT

The Gaijin Tonic Bar is small, but classy bar hid in the side streets of Tokyo. It’s surrounded by trees and the inside theme is very original, cherry blossoms with bamboo. There is always a drunk man on the karaoke stage sing an American song. Tonight special was “AMERICAN WOMAN” by THE GUESS WHO, but sung by a Japanese man who had one too many. TOM sits far from the stage in the dimed part of the bar, also known as the smoking section. LILY finds the bar, and then finds the pool table. MAYA is sitting with TOM splitting some Udon noodles.

                          TOM

You should go up there and sing.

TOM points over at the karaoke stage where the drunken business man had fallen off the stage and is being dragged off by security.

          MAYA

 (Slurping up noodles)

No way! I am way too hungry and way too sober to go up there. Why don’t you? Mister, music producer.

 

          TOM

Oh you’re going to throw that card down on me? Fine, alright. I’ll sing if you join me.

TOM puts out his cigarette.

                          MAYA

Fine!

          TOM

Yes…fine. So common.

TOM grabs MAYA wrist and drags her up onto the stage. After finding a song, he places a microphone into MAYA’S hand and walks off stage to sits back down. He re-lights his cigarette and the music starts to play.

                          TOM

Psht. Have fun!

          MAYA

    (Into microphone)

Wha-what!? Hey now! You were supposed to join me?

          TOM

I know right? Gosh, I’m such a terrible person. Now sing! You’re wasting you and your drunken audience is waiting.

MAYA looks down at the lyrics on the TV screen. It was “LOVE SONG” by SARA BAREILLES. She picks up where it left off and glares at TOM who was smiling back at her from across the room. After the song she got drunken claps and she sits down next to TOM who is having his fair share of Sake.

                          TOM

You know Sake gives the worst hangovers.

          MAYA

Really? Well good. You deserve it screw-off.

          TOM

Again with that name? Very immature. Besides it’s a bar, have fun, let lose. Look at LILY, she’s a living example of a good time.

LILY starts to climb on the barstool, and soon they all get kicked out for being reckless drinkers.

                CUT TO:

EXT. GAIJIN TONIC BAR ALLEY NIGHT

MAYA and TOM are helping LILY walk down the alley which was filled with empty beer bottles and boxes. She starts to yell and slur her words out. TOM calls for a taxi and they wait for it to come. TOM lays LILY against the wall. She slumps onto MAYA.

                          MAYA

Man, that girl can drink.

          TOM

Ha, well she’s really going to hate it in the morning. Like I said. Sake hangovers, are the worst.

          MAYA

Oh well, she’s always been like this. Get over excited and drink too much.

          TOM
Oh really now? How long have you known her?

          MAYA

Well for about four years. She is Shield’s step sister. So she has some crazy traits in her veins like him. What about you? Any crazy siblings?

          TOM

       (Mumbling)

I don’t have much to say about my family.

          MAYA

I see. Well, at least I am not the only one then.

          TOM

Oh really now. How did your family take to the news that you’re going thousands of miles away to perform music?

          MAYA

They don’t know, so it’s nothing. It’s whatever.

TOM looks over his glasses to see MAYA’S face clearly.

                          TOM

They don’t know? That’s usually a big deal don’t you think…interesting, kid.

          MAYA

Well first off, I’m not and kid. And secondly I would tell them if they were still around. You know?

TOM pushes his glasses back up and looks out on the town. Spring had emerged so there are many pink flower buds everywhere from the cherry blossoms, it looks like it had snowed pink.

                          TOM

Something about Japan is very comforting. I am sure you will love it just as much as me.

The taxi pulls up, MAYA and TOM drag LILY in and the taxi takes them back to the hotel.

                CUT TO:

 

INT. KEIKO HOTEL MORNING.

The hotel room is just like any other Japanese hotel. Small, cramped and confusing. The beds are stacked on top of each other in these coffin like spaces. It only has room to slide in, and lay perfectly still with both hands by your side. The hotel is along the coast side so the wall which is a big window shows off the view ever so nicely. SHIELD gets up in the morning and starts to make tea since the room doesn’t have coffee. SHIELD sits down and LILY joins him on the couch. They watch the new with no idea what the anchor men are saying.

                          SHIELD

I feel like a reversed vampire, crawling out of my coffin at the peak of sunlight.

          LILY

         (Moans)

This tea is flat. Ugh…my head.

          SHIELD

What did you guys do last night?

          LILY

No idea…something about Sake? I’m gonna hurl.

LILY gets up and walks over to the bathroom quickly.

                          LILY

                          (Groans)

Ahh if Japan wasn’t so beautiful I’d call it Hell.

TOM is woken by LILY’S moans and groans. He crawls out of his bed and pours himself a cup of tea. He goes outside to smoke.

                          SHIELD

Jez. He must have an iron lung.

          TOM

     (From outside)

Now I have two.

SHIELD goes over to MAYA’S sleeping slot and knocks on her plastic door.

                          SHIELD

Wake up Maya! We got things to do today!

MAYA startled from the loud sounds shoots up but smacks the top of her bed space. She grabs her head and lays back down moaning from the pain.

                          MAYA

Awh! My head! Really Shield?

          SHIELD

Sorry love…time to get up.

          MAYA

Uh…alright, alright…

                                                CUT TO:

 INT. SHOJI STUDIO DAY

Shoji Studio is one of the biggest studios in Japan. They produce music, air music, record music, and even preform concerts there. The building is dome shaped and the top opens on concert nights. The interior is a dojo theme so the outside is surrounded with cherry trees.

TOM starts to record MAYA and SHIELD’S old songs while LILY decides to stay at the hotel and sleep off her hangover.

                          TOM

I’d say three songs are enough for today. You guys aren’t doing too bad. Usually people who are new to all of this over stress and get irritated.

Not hearing TOM, MAYA yells through the glass

                          MAYA

I am irritated! Ahh! This is so much!

TOM pushes a button and speaks into the microphone.

          TOM

Ha, what a kid.

          MAYA

I’ve said this before. I’m not a kid!

          SHIELD

Oh gosh. You two stop fighting! Always butting heads. I’m way too tired for all of this.

          TOM

SHIELD we have coffee in the back. Why don’t you go make some and relax?

          SHIELD

Awh that sounds perfect! Thanks!

          TOM

No problem bud.

MAYA watches SHIELD leave the recording studio. She glares over at TOM through the soundproof glass.

                          MAYA

You’re such an a*****e.

TOM smirks and speaks into his microphone.

                          TOM

What? I can’t hear you? Speak into that microphone…

MAYA grabs the microphone and yells into it.

          MAYA

I said…YOU’RE AN A*****E!

 

 

          TOM

       (Smiling)

Oh, so you promoted me from Screw-Off to A*****e? I’m deeply honored.

MAYA walks out of the recording studio, and enters the room where TOM sits there smoking. She yanks the cigarette out of his hand and puts it in her mouth.

                          MAYA

See! I’m not a kid I can smoke just like you, just like an adult.

          TOM

Still juvenile…

          MAYA

    (Coughing hard)

Ugh! Is there anything I can do to change your mind about me being a kid?!

          TOM

Why do you care?

MAYA forcefully stops her coughing.

                          TOM

Why would you care about some stranger’s opinion about you? You’re way too self-conscious. I’m entitled to my opinion of you being a kid. And you’re entitled to your opinion of me being a screw-off a*****e. You don’t see me taking it personal or being over dramatic.

MAYA’S turns her back to TOM and crosses her arms. She looks down at her shoes.

                          MAYA

I don’t know, I guess I just care too much.

          TOM

Well don’t, you’ll be less disappointed.

          MAYA

Well I am not you TOM. I can’t sit, smoke, and hate.

          TOM

It’s because you like me isn’t it.

MAYA turns back to him, her face flushed by anger and embarrassment.

                          MAYA

What! That’s ridiculous! You’re rude, a chain smoker, possible alcoholic, and your personality is dead.

TOM gets up and grabs this cigarette from MAYA’S mouth. He looks down at her.

                          TOM

                         (Angrily)

I’m not an alcoholic.

TOM leans in and lightly kisses her.

                          TOM

Now stop being immature.

TOM leaves the room, and SHIELD walks in passing TOM. They exchange nods and SHIELD goes over to MAYA.

                          SHIELD

LILY is sobered up, so she wants us to go out to eat. You down?

          MAYA

Uh…Yes! Yes! Okay! Sure! Sounds dandy.

          SHIELD

You okay Maya?

          MAYA

Oh me? I’m fine… Let’s get going! Come, I’m fine.  

                           

                                    CUT TO:

INT. KEIKO HOTEL DAY

LILY is getting applying her make up with the radio blaring out some Japanese music. MAYA and SHIELD walk into the room.

                          LILY

                 (Sings to her hair brush)

La la! Oh yeah! La la!

          SHIELD

    (Yells over music)

Lily…Lily! ...HEY! Lily!

MAYA turns off the radio.

                          LILY

Oh…Ha ha! Hey guys! This is awkward!

          SHIELD

Gosh you’re so odd.

          MAYA

Are we going out to lunch Lily?

          LILY

LILY holds up a bag of food while grinning.

Nope! I already got some when you guys were out! I bought sushi!

SHIELD grabs the bag and rips it open.

                          SHIELD

Awh! We got sushi!? I am so excited!

They open their Bento boxes and stare at their chop sticks. They attempt to use them, and then grab forks.

                          LILY

                    (Mouth full of food)

Hey guys. I actually have to tell you something as well…

          SHIELD

Yeah? What is it sis?

          LILY

Well I did my job and got you guys a sponsor and multiple gigs. My job is done, and I need to go back home to Michigan and work at my studio.

          MAYA

What! You’re leaving?! But…you’re supposed to be here with us.

MAYA places a hand on top of LILY’S.

                          LILY

I know, but Tom will take care of you now, and besides I have to help other ambitious musicians. You guys made me very proud though…

            MAYA

      (Smiles at LILY)

Yeah I know, I guess I will just miss your crazy drunk moments, and you being there at our shows.

          SHIELD

When are you leaving? What day?

          LILY

Tomorrow morning, but I have to leave the hotel tonight. Tom said it takes a couple hours to go through the airport. It’s crazy.

          SHIELD

Oh…Well have one more shot with your brother?

Fills up a glass shot-glass with warm Sake and hands it to LILY. He also pours himself and MAYA a glass. They clinch their glasses together and drink it.

                          LILY

Oh god…it tastes like my puke. Screw hangovers.

                                    CUT TO:

LEGEND: 5 MONTHS LATER.

INT. GAIJIN TONIC BAR AFTERNOON

SHIELD and MAYA are snacking on some onion rings and some beer.

                          MAYA

                    (Mouth full of food)

Hey Shield? I think I have to tell you something.

SHIELD puts a onion ring in his mouth.

          SHIELD

Hmmm? Shoot.

          MAYA

I don’t know how to say this and not make it sound awkward…

MAYA leans across the table and whispers into his ears. His eyes widen and pull back with a shocked look on his face.

                          SHIELD

You and Tom, are hooking up?! Have you two…you know?

MAYA starts to choke on her food.

          MAYA

       (Coughing)

Wha-what?!

          SHIELD

You so have! What! What! No! Gross! He’s such an a*****e, why?

          MAYA

I don’t know…it just happened I guess. We haven’t gave it labels or anything but…

          SHIELD

Does he make you happy at least?

          MAYA

     (Lightly smiles)

Even though we bicker a lot, yeah; I guess he does…

SHIELD smiles and sighs deeply. Gazing out the window SHIELD watches a girl get out of a taxi with a suitcase in her hands. She looks extremely Japanese, small, black hair, brown eyes, and a simple face that was flawless. She walks into the bar and sits   at the bar counter alone. SHIELD smiles.

                          SHIELD

Awh, speaking of being with someone…Japanese girls are so damn gorgeous.

          MAYA

You talking about that girl?

          SHIELD

         (Sighs)

Yes mam’…

          MAYA

You should go talk to her.

          SHIELD

Are you kidding? She’d just see me as a American, and probably wouldn’t be interested.

          MAYA

Whatever! Many Asian girls like American boys, and you can impress her with your Japanese! It’ almost spot on! Go say hi! Go!

MAYA pushes SHIELD out of the booth and she fixes his hair and straightens his clothes.

                          MAYA

There! See, you’re handsome!

          SHIELD

You think I’m handsome?

MAYA playfully pushes him over to the bar counter.

                          MAYA

Just go lover boy.

SHIELD walks over to the girl. He sits down next to her and looks over at her.

                          SHIELD

      (Clears throat)

Konnichiwa!

 

          RINA

Hello.

          SHIELD

You know English?

          RINA

Most Japanese people from Tokyo do.

          SHIELD

Oh, yes, very true! I am Shield!

He sticks his hand out. She looks down at it and then shakes it slowly.

                          RINA

Shield? That doesn’t sound like an American name…or any name at that. I’m Rina.

          SHIELD

Yeah, ha! I don’t know what my parents were thinking, but it works for me!

          RINA

Yes, it kind of does.

          SHIELD

Can I get you something to drink? Tea? Sake? Water?

          RINA

No thank you. I’m waiting for someone.

SHIELD looks down at her bag.

                          SHIELD

You going somewhere?

          RINA

Well, no. I just arrived here in Tokyo today. I am supposed to meet my fiancé for the first time. My parents arranged my marriage. But I don’t think my fiancé will like me.

          SHIELD

He’d have to be stupid or blind! You seem like a very polite woman. I’m jealous!

          RINA

Really…? Oh, wow. Thank you! You are quite kind yourself.

          SHIELD

Of course I am! All ladies are treated like gods when they’re with me.

SHIELD looks back at MAYA who was shaking her head and laughing.

                          SHIELD

So who’s the lucky man? Your fiancé?

          RINA

I don’t know his name. His family kept it from me, but they gave me this picture.

RINA holds onto her locket.

                          SHIELD

Well let’s see this lucky dog!

RINA opens the locket and holds it up to SHIELD. It’s a picture of TOM sitting there reading. SHIELD’S eyes widen while he turns to look over at MAYA who was still shoving her face with food. He looks back at RINA who looks confused. 

          RINA

What’s wrong? You look shocked? Did I do something wrong?

          SHIELD

Of course not! You didn’t do anything…So this guy, he’s coming? Here? Like now?

          RINA

Well…no.

          SHIELD

No? Wait…why?

          RINA

Well…you see I ran away from home to find him. I heard he had been back in Japan, so I hitch-hiked my way here. I remember his brother telling me he always goes here to smoke and drink every day after work. So, here I am.

SHIELD’S eyes widen even bigger. He turns around at MAYA who was smiling and giving him thumbs up. He gives her this cheesy concerned smile, a thumb up, and turns back to RINA. MAYA tilts her head.

                          RINA

You probably think I am some dumb hopeless romantic girl…I usually don’t do crazy things like this…I just wanted to meet him finally. You know? He’s a music producer so he’s always traveling…It was perfect timing I guess.

          SHIELD

Ha…ha. Yeah I understand that. Love makes us do…pretty crazy stuff. Here, take my number I have to get leaving it’s late and I’m…er… wasted… Yeah! I’m crazy smashed!

SHIELD hands RINA a piece of paper with his number.

          SHIELD

If he doesn’t come, call me, you’ll need a place to sleep.

          RINA

Thank you Shield!

SHIELD gets up in a hurry and grabs MAYA by her wrist.

                          MAYA

How was-

          SHIELD

Oh, we gotta go, now!

SHIELD drags her out of the bar in a hurry.

                CUT TO:

INT. SHOJI STUDIO NIGHT

MAYA and SHIELD show up to the studio to see TOM filing.

                          SHIELD

Hey Tom. You’re here late…isn’t there some place you need to be?

          TOM

No…?

TOM looks at SHIELD and then looks over at MAYA.

                          TOM

He looks a bit on edge. What’s wrong with him?

          MAYA

Yeah, he does, doesn’t he? Shield what’s wrong? Is it because I told you about…you know.

MAYA nudged her head towards TOM.

                          TOM

Hmm? Oh. Whatever.

          SHIELD

No, no, no. It’s not that. Its just…Tom do you know a-

TOM’S sectary FRANCIS, opens the door and walks in with DYLAN, TOM’S brother and RINA.

                          FRANCIS

Tom, you have some visitors.

          SHIELD

Oh s**t…

          TOM

Oh, interesting.

          DYLAN

TOMMY boy! Hey, we’ve been looking for you.

          FRANCIS

    (Coughs into hand)

Okay…well I am going to step out now.

FRANCIS leaves the room quickly.

          RINA

Tom…is it really you…?

RINA drops her bag and runs over to him. She greets him with a long hug.

                          MAYA

                    (Under her breath)

The girl from the bar?

                          MAYA

Who’s this…Tom?

          TOM

Oh, this is my fiancé Rina.

          SHIELD

      (Sighs deeply)

Oh jezz.

          MAYA

Wha…what?! You have…have a fiancé?!

          TOM

Well kind of. I’ve never met her before.

TOM looks down at RINA

                          TOM

What are you doing here Rina?

RINA pulls away from TOM nervously and looks up at him.

                          RINA

I’m sorry Tom…I ran away from home to find you. I heard you were here…

          TOM

   (In an angry tone)

Who told you?!

          DYLAN

Guilty…ha, ha!

TOM glares at DYLAN. TOM rubs his head and lights up a cigarette.

                          TOM

                 Well, I am going home. Common Rina.

TOM puts an arm around RINA and leaves the room with her. SHIELD looks at MAYA.

                          SHIELD

                 You okay sweetie?

                          MAYA

                 I just want to go back the apartment.

                          DYLAN

                 What’s wrong pretty lady?

MAYA walks out of the room.

                          SHIELD

Maya and Tom have been “together.” So I don’t know what will come of them now…?

          DYLAN

Oh jezz. That’s awkward… but not uncommon. Tom likes to sleep around with little pop stars.

          SHIELD

What? Really? Maya is not a little pop star. She’s an amazing woman.

          DYLAN

How long have they been hooking up.

          SHIELD

I don’t know. I found out about it today. Maybe almost half a year…?

          DYLAN

Hmm that’s uncommon. Usually he only has them around for a week or so. She’s that awesome hu? Maybe she will move on to bigger and better things. Like me. She’s not that bad, in fact, one of the cuter ones Tom has had.

          SHIELD

I know she is. It’s just odd. You don’t seem like anything like your brother. In fact, I’ve never heard him mention him having a brother.

DYLAN sits down at TOM’S desk. He picks up a lighter which has a photo-booth stick on it with MAYA on TOM on it. DYALN smiles and lays it down.

                          DYLAN

Tom is to himself. He doesn’t really open up, even to me. I’m his polar opposite. I’m more loud and I actually have fun. Oh and my lungs aren’t full with tar either. I drink.

          SHIELD

Oh boy ha! Well you oddly look like him.

SHIELD starts to circle DYLAN.

                          SHIELD

So odd…so hey…do you think Rina and Tom will actually…get married?!

                          DYLAN 

Nope. Tom doesn’t do the whole tide down thing. And she’s way too nice, she’ll get sick of his douchebagness.

          SHIELD

That’s not even a word.

          DYLAN

Well I’m not American, how am I supposed to know that?

          SHIELD

Ha! No idea! You both look very American, so I figured!

          DYLAN

Yeah our mom is a white cracker.

 

          SHIELD

Oh I see! Well I got to get going man. It was nice meeting you!

          DYLAN

Yeah dude! See you later!

SHIELD and DYLAN walk off.

                FADE OUT:

                CUT TO:

EXT. TOM’S HOUSE NIGHT

TOM’S house is rested on top of a hill looking over the city of Tokyo. His house has a metal, chrome look to it, and bushes, flowers, and trees cover the view of the house from the drive way. It rains heavily as MAYA pulls up in a taxi and gets out.

She walks up to the door and pushes a button, she talks into it.

                          MAYA

Tom it’s Maya. Open up!

          TOM

  (Over the intercom)

I thought you have a key kiddo?

          MAYA

No, it’s in my room somewhere! Open up! I need to talk to you!

          TOM

Hm hold on, I will come out there I need a smoke.

With a loud buzz the door unlocks, and TOM walks out. He lights up another cigarette looks over at MAYA who glares up at him.

                          TOM

What’s with the sour look?

          MAYA

Well I don’t know. Maybe you should have specified with me that you have multiple lovers. Are there any other girls I should know about?

          TOM

        (Frowns)

Okay Maya, we never gave us labels so technically we’re nothing. If I didn’t care, or if I got bored, you’d leave you.

          MAYA

So, that’s all I am to you. Just another girl.

          TOM

No, no, no. I never said that.

          MAYA

What am I Tom? A squeeze?

          TOM

Are you even listening Maya?!

TOM throws down his cigarette.  

                          TOM

I’m not marring Rina.

          MAYA

But, you have to…? Don’t you?

          TOM

    (Sighs deeply)

It’s not 1800’s. I’ll be with anyone I want to. She is whom my Father picked out as the best possible spouse, but I don’t do the marriage thing.

          MAYA

Then why lead her on like this? Why bring her to your place?

          TOM

I will not leave her without a home. I called her Mother, and she’s coming to get her in the morning.

          MAYA

Oh…

          TOM

See once again you prove how self-conscious you really are.

          MAYA

No, I’m just scared.

TOM tilts his head. He lights up another cigarette. He hands the cigarette to MAYA.

                          TOM

Fear is all in the mind. Don’t let every little thing get to you. That’s how the world will eat you alive.

MAYA takes a small drag off the cigarette and quickly gives it back to TOM. She gazes out on the city.

                          MAYA

When is our next gig?

          TOM

I scheduled you in for one next month at the Tokyo Center. It will be my last with you.

MAYA quickly turns to TOM.

                          MAYA

Wha-what! Excuse me? Why?

          TOM

I’ve been working with you guys for over half a year now. People are scraping at your front door to have you perform at their show. You don’t need me now. Besides, I have some new kids to look at in London. Some under ground rock s**t.

TOM puts out his cigarette.

                          MAYA

But, Tom, I don’t want you to leave me…

          TOM

It’s part of life. The word goodbye is ironic.

          MAYA

But Tom, I…I love you.

          TOM

        (Sighs)

No Maya.

          MAYA

What?

          TOM

You don’t.

          MAYA

You can’t tell me how to feel! Tom Samson, I am in love with you.

          TOM

When you’re twenty-three, love can be brought on by anything. So easy, so simple, but when you’re thirty-eight, love dies. You cannot be in love with someone that doesn’t love you. End of story Maya.

          MAYA

How long will you be in London?

          TOM

Only a month or less. Goodnight Maya.

TOM kisses her forehead and closes the door behind him. It starts to rain and MAYA walks off with her hands in her pocket.

          

 

 

           FADE OUT:

           CUT TO:

LEDGEN: ONE MONTH LATER.

INT. TOKYO CENTER NIGHT

 

 

© 2011 Gabriel Crow


Author's Note

Gabriel Crow
Not done yet. It's for my Creative Writing class.
Sorry if the formating is all messed up. Writers Cafe likes to mess with my tabs.



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on May 6, 2011
Last Updated on May 9, 2011
Tags: Music, Japan, Maya, Tom, Shield