Monologue - A Night Out

Monologue - A Night Out

A Story by Gaelan_Hamilton
"

One of my first pieces as part of my writing course. This is an internal monologue of a guy thinking about the nature of people in pubs and clubs.

"

It’s funny isn’t it? How different environments attract different people. I’ve always thought so anyway, especially on nights out with the lads. They’re all carefree and energetic whereas me, well, I like to take things a bit more slowly. “Slow and steady wins the race” isn’t that what they say? I certainly hope so after all this time. “Come on Johnny, it’s time to become a real man!” they cheer with slaps to my back and roaring laughter.

But when the flashing lights and thundering music distorts all semblance of the real me from the girl I am dancing with I cannot help but wonder what sort of man they expect me to be. One without personality or identity beyond the brief glimpse of my face and body in the dark. Is that truly what the girls you meet in these places want? Just a body to use for their own enjoyment and to be thrown away when spent without a second glance. Surely that can’t be the case, surely if the tidal waves of music were to be calmed and the lights brightened they would want to look underneath my physical shell. Or are they so content in their carnal pleasures that they would pass me by if I tried to simply talk to them.

Maybe the loud, dark rooms my friends drag me into are so tribal and uncultured that I must look elsewhere for the connection I seek. Somewhere where opinions and thoughts are exchanged readily with the encouragement of a welcoming atmosphere and ­­certain intoxicants. It might be a bit scarier knowing that they asses me further than just my looks, but the connection between personalities is far stronger and deeper than a physical one. Even their eyes look warmer when they look at me now, replacing the cold emptiness that I had seen in them before.

How can there be such a striking contrast between these two species of women as a result of different lighting and music? Part of me wonders what would happen if they were to swap habitats for a period of time. Would the primeval mask suddenly be lifted to reveal the civility I had thought was lost to them, and if so why would they allow, or even want, this guise to shroud who they really are?  And in the reverse scenario would the more refined women use the dark veil to allow their more base desires to overwhelm them?

I cannot and will not accept that this would be the case, I have to believe that the goodness I have witnessed would not be thrown aside at the first opportunity for something more degenerate. If I can find these places unpleasant, there has to be others who share my beliefs. Or am I alone in my disgust and contempt at such depravity, destined to despise all others in my paranoia that whatever integrity they have would be torn asunder by the smallest of temptations. Fate is a cruel mistress indeed if this is the case.

However, I am not yet defeated. I still believe that I will find someone that has the purity that I long for, the incorruptibility that can never be tainted no matter where they socialise and who they meet. It is what keeps me sane, it is what has kept me waiting for so many years regardless of the mockery I receive from my friends. For if I am waiting for them, they must be waiting for me. And when we meet, we will recognise each other as common souls resisting the vulgarity that the populace of the modern world has succumbed to and know that we are not alone.

© 2014 Gaelan_Hamilton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great stuff. I found myself empathising with the character's sensitivity. I also found myself agreeing with his attitude towards the disengagement of finer feelings and individualism in the way the night economy is geared towards the mean (very) average (very) pursuit of physical materialism in personal relations, namely consume sex on demand. The music and lighting are a part of the whole scheme and the players on the dance floor are pre-programmed to do the ugly with minimal distraction. Everything is reduced to the basics of appearance and body language. People do not actually need to go to the trouble of talking very much before they lurch towards the ugliness of a quickie. Clearly finer feelings and commitment are anathema in this whirl of base instincts. I imagine that feelings of doubt about how things are are not uncommon in those with minds and souls. Equally it is interesting - in the age of super-choice - how base behaviour is assumed to be what we want. But then it must be for enough of us, else why would cunning men invest in all that expensive music and lighting? You made me think!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautifully penned. The use of the first pronoun threw me at first and I thought the narrator was a girl. very insightful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great stuff. I found myself empathising with the character's sensitivity. I also found myself agreeing with his attitude towards the disengagement of finer feelings and individualism in the way the night economy is geared towards the mean (very) average (very) pursuit of physical materialism in personal relations, namely consume sex on demand. The music and lighting are a part of the whole scheme and the players on the dance floor are pre-programmed to do the ugly with minimal distraction. Everything is reduced to the basics of appearance and body language. People do not actually need to go to the trouble of talking very much before they lurch towards the ugliness of a quickie. Clearly finer feelings and commitment are anathema in this whirl of base instincts. I imagine that feelings of doubt about how things are are not uncommon in those with minds and souls. Equally it is interesting - in the age of super-choice - how base behaviour is assumed to be what we want. But then it must be for enough of us, else why would cunning men invest in all that expensive music and lighting? You made me think!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm impressed by your writing skill, and even more so by this uncanny excursion through a certain type of male mind. It was many years ago, but I saw things and had thoughts very, very much like these. I just don't know how you did it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaelan_Hamilton

10 Years Ago

Wow thank you so so much!! It took many, MANY redrafts to get the emotions and just the general feel.. read more
Samuel Dickens

10 Years Ago

No, you mustn't quit--you're way too good at it.
Gaelan_Hamilton

10 Years Ago

That's so nice of you to say! Thanks!!!
This is truly thought provoking piece, and your use of language is exquisite! I can associate with it and its nice to know others feel that way too.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2014
Last Updated on January 19, 2014
Tags: writing, creative writing, monologue, drinking, clubs, pubs, nightlife

Author

Gaelan_Hamilton
Gaelan_Hamilton

Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom



About
I'm an aspiring writer from Scotland currently studying Professional Writing Skills at college in Glasgow. As part of the course and also in my free time I write a lot of poetry, short stories and .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Gaelan_Hamilton



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


HAT TRICK HAT TRICK

A Poem by Mark


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan