The Duo and The Thief

The Duo and The Thief

A Chapter by The Omniscient Narrator

Leithian led Xinskarr to a hidden cabin in the middle of the forest. Xinskarr smashed through the door, stood there and scanned the environment. Drunken males of all races flirted with females of the same race. Xinskarr turned to Leithian. Leithian smiled. “It’s the most hidden place we’ll find for miles, better get comfy.” Xinskarr waltzed through the crowd, with Leithian closely by, watching the environment. Xinskarr sat down with a thump and shouted “Bring me your finest ale, barkeep!” Leithian sat down with grace, and said “I’ll have some water.” Xinskarr glared at Leithian. Leithian looked questionably at Xinskarr. The Dragonborn laughed “What kind of being goes into a brothel and doesn’t order an ale?” Leithian stared at Xinskarr “The one who has to look after someone when they’re drunk.” Xinskarr sighed and shouted “Barkeep! Bring this Elf an Ale!” Leithian sighed and rubbed his eyelids. He then looked around the room, finding a lone Half-Elf with a group of dwarves. Never seen that before he thought. Two cups slid across the counter to the adventurers. “Drink Elf, it’ll make you big and strong” Xinskarr mocked. Leithian put the cup to his lips, and cringed at the taste. “Don’t worry,” Xinskarr laughed “It’s an acquired taste.” Leithian glanced at Xinskarr, and finished the cup with one swift gulp. Xinskarr looked at him in amazement, and laughed. “Looks like I underestimated you, Archer” he laughed. Leithian signalled the bartender, and another cup slid across the counter. Xinskarr wondered “I thought you said you don’t drink ale.” Leithian smiled. “I said I don’t drink when I have to look after someone when they’re drunk, not before.” He laughed. Xinskarr punched his shoulder playfully, and they laughed.

Xinskarr played with his 5th cup of ale. “Why was you so angry with those Orcs earlier today?” he questioned. Leithian finished his 10th cup of ale, dropped it on the table, and signalled the bartender for another, which Xinskarr stopped with his hand. Leithian glared at Xinskarr. “When you’re confronted by those who were behind your towns undoing, you don’t have time for mercy.” Xinskarr stared questionably at Leithian. Leithian then took the cup of ale from Xinskarr, finished it in one gulp, and wiped his lips. “While I was sneaking around, I found an alchemist laboratory, with an open book at the table, with a picture of an Elf on the page. It read “Elvic Weaknesses”. And it was ingredients for making a curse that would target people over a certain age to increase their rate of aging by a substantial rate, enough to cause anyone affected to become old and feeble in a matter of weeks.” Xinskarr ordered another ale. “You need it more than I do” he said, handing the ale to Leithian. Leithian rejected the cup. “Aren’t you meant to be antsy right about now?” he asked. Xinskarr sipped his cup “Why?” Leithian peered behind him, and Xinskarr looked in his direction. “Dwarves.” Xinskarr’s voiced raised and deepened in anger. Leithian laughed. “Don’t worry, they’re not having a great time with that Half-Elf.” Xinskarr glared at Leithian. “What are you talking about, are you drunk? They’re Dwarves, they should be six feet under, not…” Leithians’ laughter interrupted him. “Calm down, Dragonborn, look at their coin purses, and look at the Half-Elf’s.” Xinskarr looked around to find a dwarfs’ deflated coin purse, and found the Half-Elf’s plump coin purse. They both laughed and turned around to watch the Half-Elf steal their money in a game of chance, which was altered in her favour.

“Listen Thia, I had enough of this.” A dwarf stood up, slamming the table. “I want my bloody gold back.” Thia laughed, playing with a gold piece with her fingers. “If you want it, you’re more than welcome to try and win it back.” she laughed. The rest of the dwarves stood up. “Oh, so it’s going to be like that,” the leader exclaimed, showing a glint of his axe. Thia stabbed the table with a dagger. “You’re damned right it’s going to be like that.” she demanded, spinning the other dagger in her hand. Leithian reached for his bow. Xinskarr unsheathed his swords. “You sure you’re sober enough to use that?” Leithian looked into the group, picking out what targets to aim for. “You really think I’ll be drunk after eleven crappy ales?” Leithian asked. Xinskarr fell silent and waited. Opportune moment.

“This is your final chance, assassin, hand over the gold.” The dwarf held his axe high. Thia stood up. “If it’s a bloodbath you want, it’s a bloodbath you shall get.” Thia grabbed her dagger that impaled the table, and flipped it at the dwarves. Xinskarr prepared to leap, but Leithian stopped him. The Half-Elf jumped over the flying table, grabbing a dwarf, and crashing him through the table, whilst holding onto him. Pieces of the table hit the Dwarves, and so did the injured dwarf. The dwarf stood up, and ordered the others to attack. Thia span across the battlefield, dodging any incoming attacks, until her first attack became her undoing. Thia clipped her leg upon the broken table, and flipped over it, landing on her back. Leithian smiled, and turned to the awaiting Xinskarr. “Waste ‘em.” Xinskarr leaped into the fray, landing on a dwarf’s head. Leithian leaped over Xinskarr, and stabbed a dwarf’s head. Xinskarr picked up a dwarven axe, and chucked it at a dwarf, followed by a black arrow. Two dwarves fell, forming a pool of blood beneath them. Thia backed up against the wall, pinned by the Dwarf that started the fight. She stared into her executioners’ eyes through fear-tinted eyes. The Dwarf swung at her head. A smoke cloud formed where her head would be. Then a dagger penetrated the Dwarf’s chest, followed by laughter. “Looks like Fortune wasn’t in your favour, Dwarf” she said, slitting the Dwarf’s throat.

The survivors of the battle stood in a circle surrounded by bodies. Leithian pulled his arrow from the dwarf’s head. Xinskarr wrapped his arm around Thia, but she moved away as soon as contact was made. She walked towards Leithian, and sat next to him. “Is your friend always this friendly after a fight?” she asked. Leithian glanced at his side, and went back to looting the body. “It’s either that or getting a very heavy sword through your head, and I like the alternative.” Thia laughed, but Leithian kept a straight face. “I’m Thia Bearstalker, and what’s your name Elf?” Leithian looked at her, noticing her hand try to reach for his coin purse. Leithian pulled a metal bolt out of his quiver and put it to her neck. “You don’t need to know that, thief,” he threatened. Thias’ eyes widened, and she backed away. “Sorry, that was rude of me.” Leithian stabbed the section of table next to him. “Alright, I’ll take the hint…” Thia said, backing away from the Elf. She sighed, and walked to the Dragonborn. “Is he always like this after a fight?” she repeated to Xinskarr. Xinskarr flicked the blood from his sword, and replied “Well, it’s better than being on the other side of his bow. I’m Xinskarr.” Thias’ face lit up with recognition “Xinskarr the Untameable?” He laughed. “So you’ve heard of me?” Thia glared at Xinskarr “I hate gladiators.” Xinskarr laughed nervously. “How about we get you a drink, and I can try to change your mind?” Thia looked at Leithian. “Oh don’t worry, he’s having one, besides it’s on him, I’ve seem to have misplaced my coin purse.” Thia smiled, holding the coin purse behind her back. “Sure, I can do with an ale.” Xinskarr called out Leithians’ name and signalled to the counter. Leithian rolled his eyes, looked at the hidden bartender, and signalled for three ales.



© 2014 The Omniscient Narrator


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on June 9, 2014
Last Updated on June 9, 2014
Tags: D&D, Dungeons and Dragons, Fantasy


Author

The Omniscient Narrator
The Omniscient Narrator

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm a young person that enjoys writing, whether it be fiction or articles. more..

Writing