MEDICATED (your order is ready) DREAMS

MEDICATED (your order is ready) DREAMS

A Story by Gaston Villanueva
"

Dissect the unrelatable

"

I start questioning my existence when a second grader eating cereal from a cracked coffee mug informs me that I have the handwriting of a serial killer. I tell him that he is a serial killer of cereal. His mother approaches us and asks if I am ok. Ok is relative. I adjust my watch. I swim a couple of laps in the community pea soup pool and Murphy and his mother decide to tag along when I say I’m heading to the cactus zoo. My friend, Interview, texted me seven jelly beans and explained that there are four new exhibits. Delirium. On our way, we see a dog sticking its head out of a car and what’s more cliché than that?

So here we are at the gates of Party Foul Prison, the misleading name for the cactus zoo. We give the lady who makes paper look black our names along with our smiles and she gives us back name tags and chuckles. The cactus like knowing the names of the people watching them. Murphy pitches his idea for the next Disney movie about a salmon princess who gets rescued by her knight in shining armor: Salmonella. Disneyland is a depressed person’s nightmare. It’s also a nightmare for anyone who hates waiting in lines, like me. But we aren’t at Disneyland so it all boils down to people confusing intensity with love. We make our way to the first new exhibit and Murphy’s mother sneezes out of excitement.

The cactus on display is very exotic looking and its name is PAGE 3 OF 4. It sits on a mahogany table and I was instantly escorted to memory lane. Where’s the reciprocity? I was there when PAGE 3 OF 4 was born. I watched from outside the delivery room. Was I remembering the past or just the last time I remembered the past? It’s great to see PAGE 3 OF 4 doing so well. Life chooses me and a decision entangles itself. We move on to the next exhibit even if fishing’s a camping façade.

We stay at this exhibit only for the amount of time it takes us to realize what it is. Murphy likes it but I don’t because I thought this was just a world myth like cafeteria food fights. There are two cacti, 9:53 and 48%, and they both have droopy expressions. Murphy says he is positive that he knows 48%. I ask him how positive he is and he replies HIV positive. 9:53 and 48% are being tortured with cameras. They have their every move under surveillance and this is detrimental to their psychological well-being. This is cacti abuse in my opinion. Thomas Edison accidentally invented the light bulb when he was trying to make ice cream for the first time. There’s a man who flirts with ideas. My ignorance. Cemented and frothy, I can’t continue so I go home. Murphy and his mother come too.

Every four years, the greatest sporting event takes place. Competitors from nations all over the lexical gap huddle into our television screens and compete to see who the best sleeper is. Only a few athletes remain and they are honing in on 164 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I watch with envy. I’m an insomniac in a sleeping lexical gap. Murphy comments something to his mother. Did you hear about the guy that knew exactly what the future entailed? He killed himself because he didn’t have the joy of not knowing what was going to happen next. But did he know he was going to kill himself? Murphy and his mother. Murphy and his mother. I yawn and tell them I’m falling awake. I hear chimney sweepers hard at work cleaning a chimney in the middle of the road. The green smoke fumes out. I pass from one state of existence to the next. I pour myself some cereal into a cracked coffee mug and inform a man wearing a watch that he has the handwriting of a serial killer.

© 2015 Gaston Villanueva


Author's Note

Gaston Villanueva
Reviews are appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've not read anything like your writing before, but I love the combination of cliche phrases with off the wall inserts. It gives the reader a sense of familiarity against a surrealistic landscape. I kept reading, wanting to know what would happen next! Well done, I'm a fan. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you like my writing
It's reviews like this that motivate me to continue telling wack.. read more



Reviews

I think I must be hardwired to try and make sense of the words I read, so writing like this is a challenge. You're quite good at it. About that cracked coffee mug--I believe there's not an un-cracked one in my entire cupboard.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

Thanks Sam!
I'm glad my writing style is effective

I rarely drink coffee so yo.. read more
I've not read anything like your writing before, but I love the combination of cliche phrases with off the wall inserts. It gives the reader a sense of familiarity against a surrealistic landscape. I kept reading, wanting to know what would happen next! Well done, I'm a fan. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you like my writing
It's reviews like this that motivate me to continue telling wack.. read more
Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb by accident trying to make icecream ? Is this true or is this Gaston trivia? Hahah it was really very just weird. Your brain is an animated television show from Pluto, and the humans have adapted to cerebrovision/-Gets weirder and weirder my friend.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

Gaston trivia but only in this lifetime hehe
That's how I'd pitch my show: When aliens try to.. read more
Another surrealistic tale from you. That's not the same as steam-of -consciousness, which I don't care for, but but it paints a colourful and entertaiing picture.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

Thanks Marie!
I'm glad you liked it!
It's amazing how you the make the most of the writer's freedom, taking the readers on a gleeful ride. If only there really was a pea soup pool and people could text each other jelly beans. I liked the name tags satire and wondered about the significance behind the cactus names. "I watched from outside the delivery room"-- giggled picturing this. The sporting event described was interesting. Also liked the beginning-ending palindrome thing you did. Overall, an entertaining, amusing Gaston piece. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

Thanks Rana! The cacti names have to do with what page I was on in my word document, the battery lev.. read more
Rana

8 Years Ago

Ooo interesting =D couldn't've guessed
I'm not qualified to comment on stream of consciousness as I haven't read enough. This seemed quite good, but again my opinion is absolutely worthless.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaston Villanueva

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Palakin
I'm glad you liked it and I appreciate your feedback!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

573 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015
Tags: cactus, dreams, bizarre, humans


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Brave Heart Brave Heart

A Story by Woody


MURDERERS MURDERERS

A Story by Marie