Veronica

Veronica

A Story by Gene Denham
"

Strange men break into the house and kill Veronica's mother. She attempts to escape by running into the woods.

"

Veronica sat on the floor of her room playing with her dollhouse. She ignored the hunger emanating from inside her small body. Her father would be home soon and he would have the food she craved. When she heard a noise downstairs she jumped up and went to her door. The sounds became clearer. Instead of her father's cheerful voice she heard crashing and yelling. She knew she should run or hide, but she had to know. She made her way to the stairs and went down far enough where she could survey the living room.

 

Veronica saw a half dozen men in the room, all carrying weapons. Two of the men held pole arms with some sort of bag at the end. One of them had put the bag over her mother's head. Two more men had the woman pinned against the wall using a trident-like weapon. The remaining invaders carried shotguns.

 

Her legs felt like concrete pillars. She tried to run, but couldn't move. Veronica watched as one of the men slung his shotgun over his shoulder. He pulled something out of his belt and plunged it into her mother's chest. The scream spewed from her lips before she could stop it. All of the men turned and stared at Veronica.

 

 

As the men started up the stairs, Veronica found the strength to move. She turned and sprinted towards her room. She remembered what her father had taught her. It will take you longer to shut, lock, and barricade a door than it will for a strong man to break through. Leaving the door wide open she went to the window, opened it, and jumped.

 

 

She could hear angry shouts behind her as she ran into the woods. With a full moon and cloudless sky, Veronica knew she would be easy to spot. There was no place she could hide in her white sleep dress. Her only hope was to outrun these men. She weaved and bobbed between trees and bushes. Branches snagged her dress ripping little strips off and leaving a trail for the killers to follow. Her foot caught on a root and she went sprawling face first into the ground. Cursing, she stood and continued her flight.

 

 

Veronica slowed as she neared the highway. She could see lights in the distance. Lights that were not moving. She wondered if these vehicles might belong to friends of her pursuers. Her unvoiced query was answered by the shrill barking of hounds. Their increasing volume told her they were coming towards her. Veronica sprinted in a direction perpendicular to the groups closing in on her.

 

 

If I can reach the old abandoned house, I might find a place to hide. Maybe in the cellar or the attic. She forced her legs to move faster. Veronica was running out of time. She knew she had to get someplace safe. Someplace where these men and their dogs wouldn't find her.

 

 

She brought her foot down into nothing. She tried to stop, but her momentum was too great. Veronica lost her balance and tumbled into the abandoned well. Pulling herself from the mud she stood up. She fought the urge to gag from the horrid taste of the water she swallowed. The stagnant liquid came up to her waist. Her nose was assaulted by the decaying swamp-like stench.

 

 

She looked up to see the moon in a circular frame. It was like staring into an eye. An eye that could see through you. Veronica pushed the image from her mind and started to claw at the slick walls, trying to find a grip. She found one and searched for another. Then she lifted herself up and started seeking a place for her foot. Again she had success. The bit of earth that she place her toes on wasn't big, but it was enough. She started the slow ascent back to the top. As she climbed she hoped that something would slow the men down.

 

 

Upward she climbed. Barking echoed off the walls of the well. The dogs are close. I need to hurry. With only a few feet between her and the exit she began hearing the low taunts of the men.

 

 

“Come out, come out, little girl.”

 

 

“Don't you want to join mommy and daddy?”

 

 

The voices grew louder. Veronica tried to climb faster.

 

 

Finally her hand felt the loose dirt surrounding the well. She pushed with her legs. Veronica dug her hands into the soil and pulled. She repeated the action until her body was free of the hole. As she lifted her head she saw the paws and stopped. She prepared herself for the attack. The dog sprung into the air and Veronica rolled to the side. A splash brought encouragement to her. Veronica jumped to her feet and began to run once more.

 

 

Mud and wet clothing weighted her down, but she pushed herself to go faster. Something slammed into her. Pain erupted from her shoulder as she felt teeth tear into her flesh. As she fell, Veronica twisted so that the hound would hit the ground first. She pummeled it with her elbows while trying to wrench her shoulder free of its bite. Her assault had the desired effect and she escaped the dog's jaws. She spun around. Using her weight to pin the dog's body, she grabbed its head. She jerked her arms the way her father had taught her. The loud snap caused her lips to smile.

 

 

“Gotcha!” someone taunted.

 

 

Veronica tore her vision from the dog and saw that she was surrounded. She stood up and assumed a fighting stance. She stretched out her arms with her hands curled like claws. Her fangs reflected the moonlight as she snarled.

 

 

One of the men stepped up to her and fired a shotgun engulfing her in a white cloud. The garlic irritated her skin. She coughed as the offending substance entered her lungs. Her eyes felt like they were on fire. A flood of tears burst forth to quench the burning. Veronica lashed out blindly but found only empty space. She felt something around her neck. It suddenly tightened. She grabbed at it hoping to rip it free. Her fingers felt the cold metal of a chain mail sack. She was jerked backwards by the neck. She felt her feet slip out from her and she fell to the ground.

 

 

She screamed as her arms were pierced with barbed spikes. She struggled to free her arms but was unable to stop them from being pulled away from her body. Something heavy came down on her legs. “Get off me!” she cried.

 

 

Something sharp pierced her chest. White hot pain surged through her. She could hear the crackle of her burning heart. She felt her skin dry and tighten before turning into dust.

 

 

For a brief moment near the end there was peace. In that fraction of time she was no longer a monster. She was once again a little girl. Then she was no more.

© 2013 Gene Denham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on June 27, 2013
Last Updated on June 27, 2013
Tags: chase, vampire

Author

Gene Denham
Gene Denham

Houston, TX



About
I started writing as a kid. In school I won a few contests with my short stories and one with my poem "God and Mother Nature". Since then I have had the poem "Lust" read on Houston Public Radio. .. more..

Writing
No How No How

A Poem by Gene Denham