Chapter 2: It's Always The Truth

Chapter 2: It's Always The Truth

A Chapter by Holly
"

Verena thinks she is connecting with her daughter, knowing the same pain Irma has to endure with her own future. Though, reunion is coming as well...

"

She sat at the table, bewildered from her parent's thought just a few minutes ago. Irma kept on eating breakfast and zoned out for a few minutes without knowing what was going to happen next. The silence fell on them till she spoke.

"Mutti, Vati., what is it?" she asked them.

 

"You should know about tonight. Your dad's side of the family is flying to Holland State Park, right here in Michigan. Well, they're on their way." her father explained in German.

 

"Entschuldigen? Really?  They're flying in dragon form and across the Atlantic Ocean?" she laughed. Her parents were not amused with Irma’s laughter.

"Yes, it is a matter of importance, Irma. They're bringing your dad's brother’s nephew with them." Verena smiled at Irma as she looked with disgust in her eyes.

"Mutter, are you telling the truth? You can't be lying." she stopped laughing.

 

"Irma, I am not lying! This meeting is important, very important." she exclaimed.

 

"How, Mutti? Why is it? It's about me isn't it?" Irma questioned her mother.

"The meeting is about you, our future and your future." Udo told her directly. Tears had streamed down her face when her father said this. Her face had distorted in anger and quickly stood up from the table.

"Is it my family? Is it because everything has to with me?" She cried more as tears fell to the ground.

"It is also the future of our clan's leadership. Your father must fight tonight with his brothers and sisters. There also will be his cousins too. Ten years we have to do this ritual of leadership, and our ten years is up. If your father loses, we have to move back to Germany." Verena told her in German.

"I must fight for us to live a better life here In America. Blood will be shed, high in the sky, dark at night. It is a war between our families. The ten of us will fight a one against one at a time." he said with pride.

"Why must I be included in this fight? Why must I be the one who is blamed? Why do I-"

 

"You're not blamed Irma. You're including in this because we sat a match for you, an arranged marriage for the distant future. Lucas is excited to meet you, and stay with us when he is a foreign exchange student at your high school on Monday." her mother interrupted her daughter, but filled with excitement when she had told her about Lucas.

Irma walked out of the dining room with her fists clenched together. Her eyes were filled with so much anger, but turned around to look at her parents in the eyes. She cried more and more as tears fell each time she shook in anger.

"Why do you do this to me? Can't I love someone who l want to? I'm never going to like this guy. And, wait...why in this world is he staying with us?!" She shouted to them, then ran up to her room and locked the white wooden door.

The hours past by after her parents talked about the situation. Verena decided to go knock on her white door and speak to her. She didn't know how to handle the situation, but before she knocked, she remembered a vivid past memory locked deep inside her head. This memory of a panacea past of hardship and love she had.

Verena was holding hands with a very handsome Irish-American teenage boy. They were walking back to her neighborhood, but she stopped at the corner of her street. The sun was about to set as the hope she lost in their love.

'Verena, what's wrong?'

 

'My...my father doesn't know we're dating.'

 

'What?... we've been dating for almost a year. Why wouldn't he know?'

'Charles, it's because he doesn't want me to date anyone besides German men. It's about purity in my blood line.' she sighed as he soon hugged her.

'I love you Verena, I don't care what stands in the way of us. I always will.' Charles said and then kissed her. Then immediately she let go of the kiss when she heard someone come near. It was a man, tall and blond hair. He was a resemblance of Verena, but as a male figure.

Charles glanced at the man and asked, 'Oi, sir. Hello?'  

 

Verena turned around to look at him, not wanting to say anything. The air felt bitter with the man's presence.

'Warum bist du hier? Wer ist er?' he asked as she stood there next to Charles without saying a word. Charles was baffled at the language he was speaking.

'Verena! Ich brauche eine Antwort!' he yelled to her as Charles words were speechless. He finally came to his senses that this man was Verena's father.

'Sir, are you her father? ' he asked nicely to him. Then, the blond man glared at him with fire in his eyes.

'Bist du mit ihn?! Gehen wir!" the man yelled as he grabbed Verena's right arm.

 

'Oi, sir. What do you think you're doing?' Charles yelled at him with his heavy Irish accent.

'Vater! Nein, ich liebe ihn! Ich liebe ihn!' He stopped and let go of her arm, pointed at Charles and asked, 'Liebst du ihn?!'

 

'Vater, ja! Ich liebe Charles, ich liebe ihn.' she repetitively said as she cried. He tried to grasp Verena, but her father stood there, protectively standing in front of her. Soon, he stopped and trembled in fear.

'If you dare touch my daughter again, I will kill you. I will kill you if I even see you with her.' he threatened. 'Vater!' she cried.

 

'Gehen wir!' he yelled back to her and soon she trailed behind him to the direction of their home. Verena looked back at Charlies with tears in her eyes.



Irma sat on her bed crying when she heard a faint knock at her door. She didn't say anything when a key jingled and her door opened. Verena stood against the door frame looking directly at her daughter.

"Do you want to talk about what is going on?" her mother asked as Irma sat on the bed. The silence had filled the room when the question lingered in the air.

"I was in love once." Verena said as she then sat down next to her daughter.

 

"I was about your age, but soon your grandfather found out about the relationship I had. The boy was a nice Irish-American, had a cute accent. I was in love like I never was before." Irma was shocked when the story went through her ears.

"Who even said I am in love?" she asked as her eye brows raised in questioning.

 

"I did, that's why were crying when I told you about Lucas. He's a dragon too, just to let you know." "Mom, why are you making me have this arranged marriage."

 

"It happened because it is a tradition for almost a thousand years. I have been arranged to marry your father, but it doesn't mean I don't love him."

"I'm not going to say anything, for the fact I might be in love or I might not. I don’t want to be forced to love someone, especially some boy whom I never met." she cried as she looked up to the ceiling. Her life was immediately starting to turn downhill.



© 2011 Holly


Author's Note

Holly
Review please?
German phrases in order of appearance:

Warum bist du hier?- Why are you here?

Wer ist er?- Who is he?

Ich brauche eine Antwort!- I need an Answer!

Bist du mit ihn?!- Are you with him?(as in dating)

Gehen wir!- Let's go!(a command)

Vater! Nein, ich liebe ihn! Ich liebe ihn!'- Father! No, I love him! I love him!

Liebst du ihn?!- You love him?!

Vater, ja! Ich liebe Charles, ich liebe ihn.- Father, yes! I love Charles, I love him.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on March 21, 2011
Last Updated on March 21, 2011


Author

Holly
Holly

Grand Rapids, MI



About
I try to write out what is on my mind... I'm sorta an engineer...in my head, I see the exact poem or story, and I have to write it down on paper.... same with artwork. Please review some of my a.. more..

Writing
Troublesome Troublesome

A Poem by Holly