Airport Letters

Airport Letters

A Story by Gee Bee
"

Happy New Year! It's been a while since I last wrote. I'm currently at the airport now, waiting for my flight.

"
I am an airport person.
My very nickname suits the lifestyle that my family and I have had since I was one - jetting across the skies twice, four times a year, more so if we plan a trip someplace Pop can't drive to.
As a child, you are terrified of change, of the unknown. Your sense of space makes you wonder why you have to leave into the unknown. And yet, once you get to your location, you slowly become acquainted with it, even fond of it.
And the moment you grow older, your heart becomes stone cold to those weary eyes, tears shed, airport protocol, and all the baggage that comes with being in transit. 21 years of this, and you are so used to the ways that you become one with the baggage scanner: a machine that just goes through the motions.
But you love airports anyway. The promise of a new land, of a new place, of new people brings thrill. The moment you land in a new airport, you feel like a new person. Inhaling in the new cabin air, eating airplane food, listening to in-flight announcements in different languages - how can you not feel the change?
When it's time to come back though, you feel the dread. You feel a little bit of you shedding away as you enter the departure area. How do airports manage to be the gateway and the last frontier at the same time? 
Maybe the next time I'm in an airport, I'll learn why. But for now, I'll continue to be one of the tens of thousands of people always in transit, waiting for our turn to depart and to land.

© 2015 Gee Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on January 1, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015
Tags: airport

Author

Gee Bee
Gee Bee

Manila, Philippines



About
Lurking around, trying to find bits and pieces of me in the most common of places more..

Writing
05-112015JP 05-112015JP

A Story by Gee Bee


04-04052015TW 04-04052015TW

A Story by Gee Bee