Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Elias Reiners

It is a two days march from the capital to Belgrade. A two days march if you are expedient. During the second and final repose we can afford, if we are to make it to Belgrade before the Ottomans do, I am trying to sleep in my tent. My tent is not a fancy tent, at least compared to the tent of my colleague Captain Lengyel, but still fancier than it needs to be, a scout arrives at my tent.


“Come in, come in. Quickly now”I tell him, then I proceed to ask of him “Have the Ottomans reached Belgrade yet?”


Gasping for air he manages to get out: “Yes Captain, they took Belgrade two days ago. They arrived and surrounded the citadel nine days ago”


“How did they manage to take Belgrade in seven short days?”


“The Orthodox Serbian contingent in Belgrade betrayed us, they let the Ottomans in, in exchange for their safety. The people that stayed were slaughtered by the Ottoman Janissaries.”


I had heard only rumours of these famed Janissaries, a contingent in the Ottoman forces that wield portable firearms. It baffles me that they have the capabilities of making such horrific weapons. To win this war we must be sly. I must admit I am surprised that they took help to penetrate the walls


“How many men do the Ottomans have in Belgrade?”


“I am unsure but it appears to be thousands.”


“Thank you. You may leave.”


I show him out of my tent and send one of the guards outside my tent to spread word that we are marching to Belgrade in the morning. We shall take back what is ours while they least expect it.



© 2016 Elias Reiners


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on June 21, 2016
Last Updated on June 21, 2016


Author

Elias Reiners
Elias Reiners

Canada



About
I really enjoy the finer and more advanced species of birds. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Elias Reiners