The Wind that Blows

The Wind that Blows

A Story by Donna
"

A tale of a little girl and a little wind.

"

The Strange Wind that Blows

I arrived home at 5:00 pm and threw my purse and keys on the hall stand.  As I was walking into the kitchen the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, just like the hair on a dog’s back.  The strange wind that blows through my yard tonight is a strange wind indeed. 

A knock on the door, I walked back to the hall and looked out the window.  There I saw a child.  I opened the door and standing on the step was a little girl with a red winter coat, red boots and a red hat.  She was looking up at me with tears gently falling down her face. 

            I kneel in front of her and look into her eyes, I ask, “What is wrong, my little one?”

            She looks away and then back at me, she tells me, “I have found my way and you are now my mother.”

            I was surprised at the straight forward statement.  I stared at her for a moment and said, “I don’t think so my dear.  I cannot be your mother.”

            “Yes, you are.  I have come a long way and now I have found you.”  She said.

            “How did you know how to find me?”  I asked her, trying to get more information out of her.

            “I watched the star and it led me to you.  The star told me to come here.”  She told me, a smile slowly creepy across her face.  She was a beautiful child.  Her skin creamy white and her eyes bright as sunshine.

            “Do you have a father?”  I asked.

            “No, my father died and so did my other mother.  They had to go away.   And the star said, “”Come, I will show you to your new mother and you will live there with her and you will be safe.””  I didn’t want to go.  I wanted to stay in my house.  But the star said, “”All will be well.  Do not be upset.  Your new mother awaits you.””  I got dressed, went out the door and followed the star.” 

            What a story she told.  I knelt there, looking into her eyes, waiting for some miracle that would explain why this was happening.  I could not wrap my brain around the explanation that this child just gave me.

            “Did the star say anything else?”  I asked.

            “The star just kept telling me that everything will be alright.”  She told me.

            I brought the child into the living room and sat her comfortably on the sofa.  I then called the state agency and questioned them about her.  They came out, questioned me and decided that I should be temporary guardian of the little one while they investigated the little girl’s family.    

            The little one spoke suddenly, “My name is Mary.  Did you feel the wind?  It carried me here.  I floated on it when I was tired.  The star loves me and it loves you.”

            The strange wind that blows through my yard tonight is a strange wind indeed.

© 2018 Donna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on May 1, 2018
Last Updated on May 1, 2018
Tags: spirit, child, short story

Author

Donna
Donna

Pittston, ME



About
I started writing about three years ago. In these three years I have written poetry, short stories, flash fiction and a full length novel. I love my husband, daughters and grandsons. I also love to.. more..

Writing
The Ball The Ball

A Story by Donna


The Graveyard The Graveyard

A Story by Donna