Dacoit Re-designed

Dacoit Re-designed

A Poem by Nirmala
"

A true incident that now, years later, seems unreal. The terror and the lack of options made me take the risk.

"

            Dacoit Re-designed


The last bus delayed was cramped on the floor

People on the roof and hanging out the door

The driver reached his village refused to go further

His desire was the order at that hour I gather

Dreadfully stranded I had to journey on alone

In a dacoit filled region, through a forest unknown

 

Approaching the tea shop owned by the leader

Realising he may decide to harm and to murder

Praying fervently to God who changed Saul to Paul

To the Saviour for a miracle once more an urgent call

Appealing to the men to help trek up at midnight

Their laughter terrified, but the Maharaj set them right

 

They called him a dacoit, ‘Maharaj’ to 500 strong

A very fearsome man who governed all night long

Never glancing even once his silence helped to calm

The pounding of my heart the clamour of alarm

A woman in her twenties with a dacoit in the dark 

A bizarre Indian tale never fails to leave its mark

 

Jungles at midnight offer nothing to woman

But threat and assault by beast or by man

Here was this stranger, head of the pack

Of men known to harass, loot what they lack

Royal in garb, yet shielded by weapon

At his mercy I followed unsure what will happen

 

Doon forested mountains were alive with odd shapes

Wildlife and his dacoits all in dark drapes

All cloaked in darkness and stalking their prey

The Maharaj walked by with only this to say

I was his honoured guest but not for their sight

Never leaving my side we trudged in the night

 

Finally he spoke his voice was so gentle

To Kanch Garh we preceded his manner parental

He asked me to confirm I was secure once within

When I turned to thank him he ordered me in

Melting into darkness my angel of safety

Never gave me a chance to acknowledge his divinity.

 

 

 

© 2012 Nirmala


Author's Note

Nirmala
Another leaf from the book of reality. It was a terrifying and amazing experience and I wrote this to record what may not be believable with time. The place has developed and changed so much that it is now unbelievable!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... as a verse ... of course it is brilliant ... your language skills are spectacular ... and some of the poetic expressions you create are even beyond spectacular ... "He offered his silence to calm the clamour of alarm" ... "At his mercy I followed unsure of the end" ... "Never leaving my side as we trudged in the night" ... "Melting into darkness my angel of safety" ... "Never gave me a chance to acknowledge his divinity" ... are but a few examples ... what is extremely poignant and profound is the theme of this write ... what is it after all that makes people select the path of violence and unrest? ... are they to be blamed? ... what are their compulsions? ... is it really their failing? ... a spectacular verse ... with an incredible beginning ... and crystal clear narrative ... and an immensely amazing end ... truly courageous and thought-provoking ... i know i'm going to think about this for days and even after that never forget it ... a very enriching verse ... it's so overwhelming to read verses from your universe of verse ... indebted i am ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Had to look-up 'dacoit' -obviously it's unknown over here in the west!- and it brings a stronger dimension to the piece knowing what it stands for! It's a really involving little tale of a kind of role-reversal; or 'shoe on the other foot'; like seeking the devil's assistance to save yourself... The scenario and landscpae you alluded to brought an interesting image of India to mind, and probably one that we mostly attribute to movie romance - but in movies the sense of trepidation is obviously not as real, if there is any at all. The 'chief' sounds like a really enigmatic man and oddly magnanimous in the circumstances; as though it would be too easy for him to exploit the situation. it reminds me a little of the moral to 'Brimstone And Treacle' - where the devil in human form sexually molests a severely disabled young girl and helps by doing so to cure her somewhat... I liked this way of looking at things. this poem isn't exactly like that but it does give a subtle nod in that philosophical direction. Interesting. And well-written and rhymed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... as a verse ... of course it is brilliant ... your language skills are spectacular ... and some of the poetic expressions you create are even beyond spectacular ... "He offered his silence to calm the clamour of alarm" ... "At his mercy I followed unsure of the end" ... "Never leaving my side as we trudged in the night" ... "Melting into darkness my angel of safety" ... "Never gave me a chance to acknowledge his divinity" ... are but a few examples ... what is extremely poignant and profound is the theme of this write ... what is it after all that makes people select the path of violence and unrest? ... are they to be blamed? ... what are their compulsions? ... is it really their failing? ... a spectacular verse ... with an incredible beginning ... and crystal clear narrative ... and an immensely amazing end ... truly courageous and thought-provoking ... i know i'm going to think about this for days and even after that never forget it ... a very enriching verse ... it's so overwhelming to read verses from your universe of verse ... indebted i am ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 30, 2010
Last Updated on June 16, 2012

Author

Nirmala
Nirmala

New Delhi, India



About
Worked on environment and justice issues both urban and rural across the world, but now concentrating on India. Enjoy adventure tourism and trips to the jungles. Ah, but you wish to know more than tha.. more..

Writing
                                  Depression ..

A Poem by Nirmala


Social Space Social Space

A Poem by Nirmala



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blackbird Blackbird

A Poem by Sara


Olive Garden Olive Garden

A Story by ashley


Battling Burma Battling Burma

A Poem by Bubo