Gift of life

Gift of life

A Poem by Nirmala
"

I am not sure whether I am dragged to the unusual or drawn by it. However, I am grateful for both the ups and downs, for it lends variety and not monotony with amazing people along the way!

"

Gift of life

 

 

The gift of life with strange surprises

Joys and pleasures incredible encounters

Love and hate, intrigue and fate

Never a dull moment at any rate

 

Overflowing with the unexpected

Normalised by it being understated

My cup of life with apprehensions

A lion’s share of tribulations

 

The earth, my home, magnificently revolving

Called upon for problem solving

People, places, issues with faces, divine traces

And endless measure of mercy and graces

 

Tossed and turned and flipped right over

Amazed by the weird and wonderful

Was I truly there? I often ponder...

Reality persistently shaming fiction!

 

Nirmala

© 2010 Nirmala


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... spirited and accepting ... benevolent and discerning ... eager and enlightened ... "never a dull moment at any rate" ... "overflowing" ... "normalised" ... "apprehensions" ... "tribulations" ... are words that stand out ... embossed on this verse ... and my favourite lines are ... "called upon for problem-solving" ... and the last absolutely out of this world incredible one ... "reality persistently shaming fiction!" ... i wish i had this sense of life ... i wish i was able to receive it with such impeccable grace and gratitude ... and then i wish i was able to write about it with all my heart ... inspired i am ... truly ... what a powerful mind you possess and what a powerful pen ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"Overflowing with the unexpected
Normalised by it being understated"

This is a great poem, and these lines above illustrate to me the retrospective fashion in which we as humans are apt to appraise our lives. We can only properly appreciate its value through hindsight, and then, perhaps it may seem romantic and exciting, like a story..

"Was I truly there? I often ponder...
Reality persistently shaming fiction!"

..Reality does indeed often shame fiction - as the saying goes: "Truth is stranger than fiction".. but, as in fiction, we edit our memories of such realities and make them seem more legendary than they appeared at the time...

A very well written and expressed piece of work; and the rhyme scheme was particularly interesting. But above all I think the message it conveys is far more fascinating than any detail or technique... And very rarely does one come across a poem that actually attempts to summarise it...





Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an interesting poem. Your rhymes don't feel forced and your imagery is pretty good. Your rhythm and flow are a bit weird though. It might be me, but I stumbled over some of the lines when I tried to add a meter to this poem. This might just be me though, so this comment might be mute. I also think an additional comma after "The earth" would be helpful, just for grammatical reasons. This is a great poem though. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Life is indeed an adventure, at least for those willing to embrace it with open arms, and it seems that you have.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I too am blown away sometimes at how beautiful life can be. I know so many people that will go to a park and wonder what the big deal is about it. I think one of my favorite things about people is that no matter how alike they might seem, no one is the same at all! I really liked the vocab in the rhyming scheme, I like how you didn't use a simple rhyme like "think, pink, link stink." that is a common flaw I see in a lot of writers on this site. It seems like they have no vocabulary skills at all. I think that is another thing that attracts me to your work! Great job! Keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... spirited and accepting ... benevolent and discerning ... eager and enlightened ... "never a dull moment at any rate" ... "overflowing" ... "normalised" ... "apprehensions" ... "tribulations" ... are words that stand out ... embossed on this verse ... and my favourite lines are ... "called upon for problem-solving" ... and the last absolutely out of this world incredible one ... "reality persistently shaming fiction!" ... i wish i had this sense of life ... i wish i was able to receive it with such impeccable grace and gratitude ... and then i wish i was able to write about it with all my heart ... inspired i am ... truly ... what a powerful mind you possess and what a powerful pen ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

as i kid i used to joke about tree huggers -- then i grew up -- i love and respect your view on life and the environment

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2010
Last Updated on May 17, 2010

Author

Nirmala
Nirmala

New Delhi, India



About
Worked on environment and justice issues both urban and rural across the world, but now concentrating on India. Enjoy adventure tourism and trips to the jungles. Ah, but you wish to know more than tha.. more..

Writing
                                  Depression ..

A Poem by Nirmala


Social Space Social Space

A Poem by Nirmala



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Musings Musings

A Poem by Nianque